CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-16-2007, 05:23 AM   #21
Frank Menendez

Profile:
It's been 12 days and i've gained 6lbs! Ouch... i'll tweak back on carbs a bit and increase fat... Is that the best way to "try" to keep fat at bay? I've never really paid close attention during bulks, I just eat.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:51 AM   #22
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
No one like a 230lb showoff Elliot. :bleh0000:

If you want lean mass you have to tweak to get the 1lb/week of muscle...and that is alot. Carbs still should be a majority at PWO and fats are your main source of energy throughout the day. Protein needs to be high enough (>1g/lb bodyweight). Only YOU can tweak to see what works...what puts on muscle size and not fat.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:43 AM   #23
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Frank M Needham-

No go on belt squats. I think my primary problem is poor/improper/non-existent abdominal recruitment.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #24
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Just getting to 230lbs is not hard, Mike! It's what you do with it and that's where I fall behind. Still, people do tend to get out of the way on the ice ("couldn't stop, sorry").

Frank M. - you either need to go for the bulking or not. I've given up a number of times because I feel like I'm getting fat. You just have to ignore that. But you do need to be doing some serious heavy lifting to convert all those calories into muscle. I really recommend you get the books I mentioned.

If you start bulking and bail out part way through, you're going to end up with less muscle than you could have and more fat than you want.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #25
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Generally speaking, I would rather work towards an injury free status than worry about gaining weight. Not being able to squat or deadlift is a huge concern.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:18 PM   #26
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Chris:

I know it is possible to gain a fair amount of muscle, particularly if you're lean by nature, without squats or cleans since I did it myself when I was just going at the weights.

However, the question is what the point of this would be if you can't do functional movements due to back problems. Have you posted about your back problems elsewhere?

I find it hard to believe that abdominal recruitment is the main problem. Are you talking about lifting massive weights or just doing a back squat with, say, 100lb?

Perhaps you'd want to post in injuries to get some input. I have some experience with neck and back problems and the PTs on the board usually have great advice.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:45 AM   #27
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Anthony (as usual) makes a good observation as well. Injury is something you need to balance out as it could be from general trama, muscle imbalances and general inflexibility. Make sure you are covering those areas in your training.

I'd still say still with 1 legged squats/pistols for lower body...cause as you weight more....taadaaaaa....the weight increases for you to lift with one leg. Until you are doing like 8+ real one legged squats/pistols in a row, and can not find a way to hold a DB or additional weight, skip the DLs and Squats until you work through the injury and restore normal movement and function. Your legs will still grow.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #28
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Elliot-

It is something I plan on devoting more attention to after basketball coaching is done (about 6 more weeks). I have not had success with the doctor/PT route I've already tried. X-rays came back perfect, but the PT couldn't do much to help me. I've got a chiro that a colleague has spoken highly of... maybe some answers will be found there.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:34 AM   #29
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Order Healing Back Pain by John Sarno. It's a good start and has helped others.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:54 PM   #30
Chris Forbis

Profile:
And purchased. Thanks. It looks interesting... hopefully it helps me out some.