CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: Is Crossfit enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ingley View Post
if you are even thinking about asking if crossfit is enough, you aren't going hard enough at all
Oi, I'll second that...

If you say right after a workout "Gee, that was fun, lets do it again!" then you didn't do it right. I often ask myself "why??" after a workout, I know it was good then.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
Oliver Gould

Profile:

Lindsay, if you do Crossfit with intensity and follow a sensible diet you will lose weight and look better. It is plenty of work. There's nothing wrong with doing CF for aesthetic reasons - just stick with it for a few months and enjoy the improvements.

PS - you will not lose 20 pounds in a month, nor should you. Work hard, good luck.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #13
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:

Lindsay, the decision to cancel or maintain your Gold's Gym membership should be determined by your enjoyment of services provided. I live on a military base but work in a business district, so I have access to a Gold's Gym while at work and also our base fitness center during my off-hours, which has CrossFit equipment and morning classes for free. As much as I enjoy CF, for me, I need a mix of traditional cardio stuff mixed in.

I've tried the all-CF lifestyle before; it didn't really work for me, but CF principles are definitely an indispensible element of my exercise regimen. Different strokes for different folks...so don't be in such a hurry to burn all of your fitness bridges just yet
Old 09-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #14
Jonathan Rich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Seryak View Post

I use regular sugar in my coffee and when I very rarely drink a soda, it's the real version not the diet. "Diet" foods are poison and make you fat, real foods don't.
I agree with eating "real foods", but I'm pretty sure soda, regular or diet, is not real food.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:59 AM   #15
Maciej Dunski

Profile:

You could also check out the TESTIMONIALS - http://www.board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15 (WFS) section - you can find numerous impressive results if you need more convnicing...
Old 09-29-2009, 02:04 AM   #16
Alex McRobie

Profile:

between paleo and crossfit, weight loss will be no problem.
it is hard the first few weeks but stick at it and you will see results!
Old 09-29-2009, 04:56 AM   #17
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Grant View Post
I haven't really seen anything different in my body but I feel better and stronger. I just want to lose weight and tone up but how can I use Crossfit to efficiently do that? It seems like so many people say they have lost like 20 pounds in a month or have seen amazing results in a month and I haven't so I am just wondering
Lindsay, at the end of the day (or WoD), weight loss/gain comes down to one thing: energy balance. If a person eats more calories in a day compared to caloric expenditure, then they'll gain weight. Conversely, if they eat less than they burn, then weight will be lost. Many CFers are proponents of the Zone Diet; "Enter the Zone" by Dr. Barry Sears (available at many libraries and bookstores) is an excellent resource for information about this particular diet.

Attached are two documents (WFS) that might help you figure out where you're at now and the way to get to where you want to go. If you want to try counting calories, The Daily Plate (WFS, http://www.thedailyplate.com) provides an awesome free system to track calories online. Although the website can calculate calorie goals automatically, you can also use the Mifflin-St Jeor equation (attached) to hand-jam important numbers if you like to work problems out manually and show your work

Good luck, and stay well!

PS If the attachments don't show up, let me know, and I'll see if I can PM them to you, if you're interested...

Last edited by J. Thomas Boss; 09-29-2009 at 05:02 AM..
Old 09-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #18
Lindsay Grant

Profile:
Smile Re: Is Crossfit enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Thomas Boss View Post
Lindsay, at the end of the day (or WoD), weight loss/gain comes down to one thing: energy balance. If a person eats more calories in a day compared to caloric expenditure, then they'll gain weight. Conversely, if they eat less than they burn, then weight will be lost. Many CFers are proponents of the Zone Diet; "Enter the Zone" by Dr. Barry Sears (available at many libraries and bookstores) is an excellent resource for information about this particular diet.

Attached are two documents (WFS) that might help you figure out where you're at now and the way to get to where you want to go. If you want to try counting calories, The Daily Plate (WFS, http://www.thedailyplate.com) provides an awesome free system to track calories online. Although the website can calculate calorie goals automatically, you can also use the Mifflin-St Jeor equation (attached) to hand-jam important numbers if you like to work problems out manually and show your work

Good luck, and stay well!

PS If the attachments don't show up, let me know, and I'll see if I can PM them to you, if you're interested...

Hey J.Thomas...the attachment never came through but I am definitely interested. Thank you everyone for all of your help. This will be a journey but I am looking forward to it.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #19
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:

How 'bout this: Search for the thread "Daily Calorie recommendation"...the worksheets are located on post #3...