CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-06-2006, 12:16 PM   #11
John Messano

Profile:
I love the CF warm-up. I change the number of reps (5-20) and rounds (1-3) and order of movements nearly everytime to keep things interesting.

No one else in my gym is doing anything close to 30 pullups BEFORE their workout.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #12
James Falkner

Profile:
I keep getting light-headed after doing 15 GHD situps followed immediately with 15 GHD back extensions (with a 25lb plate held against my upper chest). Still though the WU is great. I think I might take John's advice and switch up the ordering.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #13
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
I just think the crossfit workout might be a tad too long. I like to stretch out, do about ten bodyweight squats, jump around, some pushups and situps 5 minute tops and as long as i feel ready i feel fine.I just like to jump in and get the wod started. Just my two cents
Old 01-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #14
James Falkner

Profile:
Jeffrey, I agree the CFWU feels like its more than a WU and more like a mini-workout, esp. when I do it after a 4-5 mi run. But I try to look at as a chance to improve some of the basics, like my awful pullup max and/or kipping form. Plus the GHD situps have really given me some definition in my gut, although it's less of a 6 pack and more of a 2 pack what with all those ribs from the local BBQ packed on there :-)
Old 01-07-2006, 01:07 AM   #15
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
Usually I do three sets of hspu's, ring dips, pullups, l-sit to planche, and then the Burgener w/u and STE's. Right now I do sets of six for all the exercises, and adjust according to the day's workout. I just add a rep each week or two; once I hit 3x10's I'll adjust again, i.e. add weight. I think the most important thing is that you feel sufficiently loose, warm, etc. to take on the WOD. Honestly, I think the warm up for me is more of a mental prep. for the upcoming WOD than anything else.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:39 PM   #16
Roger Smith

Profile:
WOW...some of those warm-ups are intense!! Eric, unless I missunderstand, that's 45 pullups BEFORE the workout!

Mine is a lot more low key. I do vary it according to what I've done to that point in the day. IE, The beginning very low key stuff is from 2 to 10 minutes. 2 if I've done something in the day (bike to the store or whatever) or 10 if I just woke-up...
Old 01-07-2006, 05:36 PM   #17
Skip Chase

Profile:
I use the CF warm-up with all clients, all the time, including new clients. Our veterans automatically start the warm-up when they walk in the door.
With the new clients, I may scale down the reps for the first round.(based on visual observation of their physical condition) The warm-up is an excellent 'test' for me to determine the new clients level of fitness, flexibility, agility, stamina, balance and coordination. When a brand new client walks in the door, I lead them through the warm-up. I always ask them questions regarding their nutrition prior to visiting us.(in an effort to determine their 'fuel' level) I then lead and observe them..watching movement, respiration, skin color, etc.

With all new clients I explain that many of our members were not capable of completing 3 rounds during their first visit,(some only made it through 1 or 2) however the goal is to eventually perform 3 rounds of the warm-up, followed by a work-out. I tell them that they WILL improve and they WILL change quickly. The warm-up is a 'humbling' experience for the newbie and I have found they are anxious to take the next step.

Skip Chase
Mt. Baker CrossFit
Burlington, WA

(Message edited by abselite on January 07, 2006)

(Message edited by abselite on January 07, 2006)
Old 01-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #18
Eric Moffit

Profile:
Roger,

some might think 45 pullups prior to 'working out' is a lot, but CrossFit has changed my perspective of what 'a lot' is. plus theyre kipping, so its really not bad at all. and it takes me ~15 minutes to comfortably run through the whole warmup.

i like to look at my warmup in two ways...1) your typical 'warmup' definition including injury prevention, loosening up, etc, etc, and 2) a baseline of work ill do on any given day. if the WOD is a Max Effort deadlift day, i dont get my panties in a bundle about my pullups or dips or anything else going to ***** bc i already hit 'em up in my warmup, though not intensely. maybe its merely a mental thing for me, but i dont think its just that.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:35 AM   #19
Mathew F. Bunch

Profile:
time constraints as a result of being deployed forced me to adjust my warm-up a little bit (used to do the 3xCFWU prior to deployment). now i usually do a general warm-up of rotational exercises and some light cardio (jump rope, side-straddle hops aka jumping jacks, bodyweight squats, etc), then continue with a lighter load of whatever the specific movement called for in the workout is (with a few exceptions i.e. hspu, pull-ups, etc). this has worked pretty well so far and has permitted me to get through all the wods in the allowed time, with a little time left over for skill development. i also like the burgener warm-up prior to max effort o-lifts.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:25 AM   #20
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Okay, i will start incorportating the Crossfit WU to my WOD, but why did Eric say the pull-ups are kipping? I read over journal 8 and there was no mention of the kind of pull-up to do. Does it matter?