CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #21
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Re: Oldest Women on here??? What are your goals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Allen Hanson View Post

Her goal was to have abs like Eva T, and she's getting pretty close.
Thats awesome!
Quote:
Unlike Sarena, she seems to enjoy, in a perverse way, some of the longer WOD's like Murph.
ANd not that I dont like or enjoy them, my body doesnt deal well with them hormonally, with recovery and all that stuff. Even when my nutrition is top notch (which is 90% of the time)!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #22
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
Me: 48.5
Well, I'm not an older woman but I just had to comment: I love how you have yourself listed as forty eight and a half. I'm totally going to start using fractions from now on when I'm asked how old I am, hehe, it's not just for 3-6 year olds anymore!

I will say that I love hearing all the great stories. What I personally find far more inspiring than the fire-breathers is the people who do CF that most of society would say can't do this stuff. Great job showing those people that their excuses and prejudices are nonsense.

P.S. Maybe I'll send a link to this thead to my Mom. She wants to get stronger and not fall apart as she gets older but can't seem to get momentum in that area.

Last edited by David Meverden; 09-15-2008 at 11:10 AM..
Old 09-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #23
Dale A Jones

Profile:

Nancy - We keep our Barcalounger next to the davenport for anyone who needs it.

Just starting CF myself, been powerlifting for the last 8 years, got unwanted fat, and out of cardio shape. Knee and shoulder joints tingle from time to time, but at 52, and all the years of mis-use - I guess I can expect it.

I am not getting old - I am just getting better and wiser man than I once was!

Last edited by Dale A Jones; 09-15-2008 at 11:45 AM..
Old 09-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #24
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
I'm not the oldest woman here, but I'm old enough to be a grandmother to many CrossFitters.....

I'm 45 and still getting stronger and faster
Kelly...awesome goals! I also hope I keep getting stronger, faster, better! Love the grandma comment too. The local trainer here was telling me something about his mom...she's my age...ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Kissling View Post
Hi! I'm 33 and a little bit!
Shannon, you're just a wee baby compared to some of us!!

Quote:
I think I can answer this without getting in trouble since my wife never visits these boards. She turned 51 a month ago and has been CF'ing off/on (mostly on) for slightly over 2 years.
(edit)...........

She works as an administrator at a Montessori School and gets questioned almost daily about who trains her, where she trains, etc.
Inspiring!! I've only been doing my modified CF for 7-ish weeks now, but I'm waiting for the day when somebody actually notices that I have an arm muscle or two! I've always been such a twig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary DeHart View Post
I have been Crossfitting for 2 and a half years and am 54 years old. My daughter is a Crossfit trainer and kept telling me to try it. I can now run (a little slower than everyone else but I get it done) and I love to lift heavy weights. I just deadlifted 205 X 3. But I was more proud of completing Griff as RX'd. It took me 28 minutes but I finished. I Crossfit at Brand X in Ramona 4 times a week regularly. The trainers there are great and very encouraging.
It has changed my life for the better! I always tell newcomers "if I can do it, anyone can do it!" My goals are to keep doing Crossfit as long as I am able.
Yea Mary!!!!! I'm afraid to even think of lifting that heavy! Will have to learn the lifts and see how it goes. I do notice though, that often, when I really push myself, I end up with weird aches and minor injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Well, I'm not an older woman but I just had to comment: I love how you have yourself listed as forty eight and a half. I'm totally going to start using fractions from now on when I'm asked how old I am, hehe, it's not just for 3-6 year olds anymore!

I will say that I love hearing all the great stories. What I personally find far more inspiring than the fire-breathers is the people who do CF that most of society would say can't do this stuff. Great job showing those people that their excuses and prejudices are nonsense.

P.S. Maybe I'll send a link to this thead to my Mom. She wants to get stronger and not fall apart as she gets older but can't seem to get momentum in that area.
David, we "older" women could do without the references to your, or anyone else's Mom!! LOL!

Re: the 48.5....I actually love birthdays, birthday parties, birthday cake, birthday presents...I love it all! Besides the fact that I'm kinda proud of the shape I'm in at my age, I also use the fractions to let my friends know that my next birthday celebration is getting closer!

That'd be so cool if you shared this thread with your mom! It might be good to emphasize the part about being able to stay strong and healthy, so that she doesn't get the idea that it's about who can lift the most weights.

Hey Dale, didn't mean to gender discriminate. Thanks for posting too!

It's so great to hear everyone's stories!!

Last edited by Nancy Cohen; 09-15-2008 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: add text
Old 09-15-2008, 11:52 AM   #25
Cal Jones

Profile:

Haven't posted here for some time (boss banned me from visiting forums at work, and I usually have more exciting things to do when I'm home than surf the web...). I'm 41 and have been lifting weights for over 20 years. Like Sarena I don't Crossfit as such any more though I gave it a pretty good shot. I liked it but my body didn't. My immune system was always pretty much bulletproof but last year I just kept getting sick - cold, flu, bronchitis, cystitis, some weird dizzy feeling the doctors couldn't figure out despite loads of blood tests...so I stopped.

I just lift heavy and infrequently (2-3 times a week), mostly deadlifts and squats (have some shoulder issues so laying off the OHPs for a bit, and I sprained my ankle about a month ago coming down some stairs, so I can't even do air squats or sit on my heels for that matter). Haven't had so much as a cold since Feb.

I'm as strong, if not stronger than I was in my 20s, but my beat up old body needs more rest, and I have a catalogue of sports injuries that keep my progress in check. Getting older means actually listening to what my poor bod is trying to tell me instead of ignoring it and soldiering on.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #26
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

I'm 53 years old and in protracted recovery from major spine surgery, rotator cuff tendinosis and lateral epiconydilitis. I've got residual neurologic weakness and ****in' frozen shoulder.

Right now, I'm not able to do much. I'm exploring treatment options for my various conditions. My goals are to rehabilitate enough to get back into lifting weights and getting stronger.

Prior to my surgery in April, I just LOVED feeling strong and tireless. I loved the long metcons, Murph being a particular fave. I'm so deconditioned I feel like a slug, but hopefully a second orthopedic opinion tomorrow will offer some options, so I can get over these injuries and get back into the game!

Prior to my surgery, I was in the best shape of my life. I want to get back to it.

Susie
Old 09-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #27
Shannon Kissling

Profile:

Susie,
I hate to hear this! I enjoyed chatting with you before on the boards. I hope that second opinion goes well.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #28
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
Great to hear your progress! Way to go Stephen! I'm curious how your body is taking it...soreness, aches and pains, tiredness. It's gotta be harder on our bodies as we age.
Nancy,

Thanks for the encouragement! My body seems to be really benefiting from the "beginning stages" of CF. The work outs leave me trashed, but I bounce back within about 2 - 3 hours, feel great, am not stiff, have little soreness, and sleep well. I'm also watching my food intake like a hawk and drinking tons of water.

My only regret was the long (8 mile) "power walk" I took yesterday - - got some bad blisters on the bottoms of my feet and my hips and back weren't happy with me (lots of up/down terrain here).

Susie,

I am sorry to hear about your medical "setbacks." I wish you all the best!
Old 09-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #29
Leigh Costain

Profile:

Hi there! I'm 47.07 years old...

Started CFing a couple of months ago because, after a few years out of the gym, I wanted to lift heavy again. But I was very bored with the bodybuilding type programs and couldn't face those workouts anymore.

And also, my own ideas about what is fit, which have grown out of many years of participating in many different sports and being a serious exerciser, really seem to come together in what CrossFit is all about. I love it so far and so does my bod.

My goal for Jan 1 is 1(!) unassisted pullup and at least one handstand pushup. Maybe I'll add a 1:30 400 (currently can run 1:37), it's a great idea. I'd also like to lose 15lbs of bodyfat, but it's ok if that takes longer. I think the Zone is a great way to eat for life and I feel really good on it.

Another goal of mine is to avoid the chronic diseases that are so prevalent in American society and that I actually see people MY AGE developing. No thanks.

I don't really feel my age that much. I think CF is smart training for older people, shorter bursts of high intensity exercise are a great solution for those of us that have busy lives, a good solid background of basic fitness, and a desire to push ourselves to our limit, no matter what that is!

I am much stronger than most women I know that are my age, or even 10 years younger. But I am one of the weakest women who trains at my affiliate. That's another thing I love about Crossfit, so many amazing female role models!

This is a great thread. Except for the guy who made the crack about snail mail. But that's the thing about age, it'll get everyone iin the end!
Old 09-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #30
Lee Ann McCall

Profile:

Great thread, Nancy!

I am 42, with two young kids (3 and 6). I started CF at the beginning of July. I am relatively thin (although in the present company I may have to revise that statement; CFers are a whole different yardstick!), but I had not exercised for 6 years before starting CF, so strength is a real issue for me. I have already seen a lot of progress on some things, although it comes up in day-to-day ways most often for me. I recently picked up two heavy cases of water like they were nothing, and I also was able to pick up both of my children at the same time for the first time. I am not sure this was exactly the "be ready for anything" CF means, but I'll take it! I also was able to increase my DL by 30 lbs, so it is nice to get into the program and see that I had more stength than I realized, even if not impressive by CF standards.

My husband also CFs, so he set goals for me to achieve by the end of the year (which I hope I make; they are lift totals on the CFT), but here are my REAL goals:

1. Get happy with my abs by the time I turn 43 (Aug 2009) and get my weight back down to my target range by Halloween (I am currently 2 pounds over the top of the 3 lb. band I try to stay in; too much vacation!).

2. Wear sleeveless shirts without fear (mostly there; thank you, pull ups and dips!)

3. By Jan 1, deadlift 200 lbs (currently at 165), do 2 ring dips (right now I can barely do 3 dips on dip bars because of an injury), do 10 pullups (I can do 4 without kipping right now), and push press 75 lbs (currently at 60).

4. Keep picking up my kids for as long as they want me too.

5. Most importanly, be around to see their kids.

I'm also trying to work on getting more sleep. I usually get less than 6 hours a night, which is just not enough. I guess #6 would be consistently sleep at least 8 hours a night.