CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #31
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Increased Sexual Urges???

Ahh, I think this is possibly some of the literature I had seen on female obesity and higher than normal T-levels.

w/f safe http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs...ournalCode=obe

I would think more fat would mean higher estrogen but I do know that my friend's gf/fiancee has higher than normal T-levels, lower E-levels. What do I know, really, I'm a guy.

Actually, I thought I might have been unclear because of posting while groggy or sleepy and making the writ of the post abbreviated.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #32
Erin Davidson

Profile:

Not an expert - but I'm pretty sure female obesity should not be readily equated with polycystic ovarian syndrome. Obesity is generally considered a symptom of PCOS, and not the only one. My understanding is that PCOS is generally diagnosed (and distinguished from "normal female obesity") through a wide series of symptoms, some of which are abnormally high t-levels working in conjunction with chronically elevated insulin levels. These women do not menstruate often (low estrogen levels) and unhappily experience many of the expected side effects that come with high t-levels...I have a few friends that struggle with PCOS and it is PRET-TY rough.

Also, apparently high free t-levels make women not as smart

These studies also seem to show some kind of correlation between training and higher t-levels in women: (1) Where post training creates a larger cross sectional area in a muscle, the t-levels correlate for that change in size, (2) the same effect in (1) is observed in women over 64, but higher GH levels for 30 min post strength training are even more significant

All that said, I don't know that relatively normal levels (relative to a woman) of testosterone can't be slightly elevated in a woman post training. I think there's no argument that such levels won't yield the same results some men experience under similar (but definitely larger) hormonal elevations. Clearly, hormones are crazy things - pretty powerful stuff even in small doses. I'd say women are better off manipulating growth hormone through training, sleep, insulin management...according to Art DeVany we've got higher levels than men...though I'm sure GH somehow correlates with higher T-levels in women as well.

Interesting stuff.

Moderators addition: links are safe.

Last edited by David Wood; 09-14-2008 at 07:53 PM..
Old 09-15-2008, 05:47 AM   #33
Frank M Needham

Profile:

All you people just need to get laid or, get married
Old 09-15-2008, 06:31 AM   #34
Erin Davidson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Davidson View Post
Not an expert - but I'm pretty sure female obesity should not be readily equated with polycystic ovarian syndrome. Obesity is generally considered a symptom of PCOS, and not the only one. My understanding is that PCOS is generally diagnosed (and distinguished from "normal female obesity") through a wide series of symptoms, some of which are abnormally high t-levels working in conjunction with chronically elevated insulin levels. These women do not menstruate often (low estrogen levels) and unhappily experience many of the expected side effects that come with high t-levels...I have a few friends that struggle with PCOS and it is PRET-TY rough.

Also, apparently high free t-levels make women not as smart

These studies also seem to show some kind of correlation between training and higher t-levels in women: (1) Where post training creates a larger cross sectional area in a muscle, the t-levels correlate for that change in size, (2) the same effect in (1) is observed in women over 64, but higher GH levels for 30 min post strength training are even more significant

All that said, I don't know that relatively normal levels (relative to a woman) of testosterone can't be slightly elevated in a woman post training. I think there's no argument that such levels won't yield the same results some men experience under similar (but definitely larger) hormonal elevations. Clearly, hormones are crazy things - pretty powerful stuff even in small doses. I'd say women are better off manipulating growth hormone through training, sleep, insulin management...according to Art DeVany we've got higher levels than men...though I'm sure GH somehow correlates with higher T-levels in women as well.

Interesting stuff.

Moderators addition: links are safe.
Sorry about that, David. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #35
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

From what I hear getting married would lead to lower T-levels due to an increased infrequency of copulation. Screw that. It'll ruin training. Gotta keep the hormones up by more frequent copulation. However it's that opinion that generally leads to less frequency of copulation.

Erin and Vanessa:

So maybe my thoughts on obesity and women with higher than normal T-levels and lower than normal E-levels is incorrect. I can deal with that. I have seen data that obese and fatter males have lower than normal T-levels though. Not sure about estrogen levels, but they are probably higher than normal per males.

So I guess someone needs to do a study on heavier set females to determine whether having too much fat decreases estrogen levels at a certain cut-off. I always thought when women having more fat tended to be more fertile because of higher estrogen levels than women with lower than normal body fat. Then again there is the many crossfit females who maintain fertility at lower than normal body fat levels by eating cleaner than the average populace.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #36
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
From what I hear getting married would lead to lower T-levels due to an increased infrequency of copulation.
ummm..... no. Might be in the books but not in my experience.
For M and F it would depend on who you're married to, not THAT you're married.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:58 PM   #37
Erin Davidson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
From what I hear getting married would lead to lower T-levels due to an increased infrequency of copulation. Screw that. It'll ruin training. Gotta keep the hormones up by more frequent copulation. However it's that opinion that generally leads to less frequency of copulation.

Erin and Vanessa:

So maybe my thoughts on obesity and women with higher than normal T-levels and lower than normal E-levels is incorrect. I can deal with that. I have seen data that obese and fatter males have lower than normal T-levels though. Not sure about estrogen levels, but they are probably higher than normal per males.

So I guess someone needs to do a study on heavier set females to determine whether having too much fat decreases estrogen levels at a certain cut-off. I always thought when women having more fat tended to be more fertile because of higher estrogen levels than women with lower than normal body fat. Then again there is the many crossfit females who maintain fertility at lower than normal body fat levels by eating cleaner than the average populace.
Yeah, I'd say (and I realize you probably know this) hormones are all about balance...(as are so many things in the body). It's not as simple as estrogen = fertility in women...It's more like just enough estrogen allows a women to regenerate healthy ovarian walls, and a bunch of other things...and while we're on the topic - I do believe that estrogen levels in the majority of women today are irregularly high compared to those of say, 50 years ago. Those elevated levels have been blamed for earlier and earlier onset of menstruation in women.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:08 PM   #38
Vanessa Sisson

Profile:

Quote:
I do believe that estrogen levels in the majority of women today are irregularly high compared to those of say, 50 years ago. Those elevated levels have been blamed for earlier and earlier onset of menstruation in women.
ANd higher incidence of breast, ovarian, uterine cancers.....we are fatter and eat too much crap loaded with crap that affects out natural hormone secretion.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #39
Erin Davidson

Profile:

SHYA - get on that, NP!
Old 09-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #40
Vanessa Sisson

Profile:

Quote:
SHYA - get on that, NP!

I think I am finding my role as an NP...not even out of school yet but it's kind of obvious what my interests are.