CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-31-2008, 02:29 PM   #71
Leanne M Lloyd

Profile:
Re: Susie's Recovery Log

Wow! you are an inspiration! Best Wishes and Good luck!
Old 07-31-2008, 03:06 PM   #72
George Mounce

Profile:

Susie - you are truly an amazing person, and a model for everyone who complains about the little things, they are no big deal comparatively to what you have been through.

Keep up the great progress, and know we are all thinking about you and praying for your speedy recovery!

George
Old 07-31-2008, 03:15 PM   #73
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Good to hear.... looking forward to your steady healing.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:05 AM   #74
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Today's plan:

1. This morning, I took my 3 mile walk, but added a twist. For every telephone pole, I had to do an ATA squat. I could keep walking up to 5 telephone poles, but if I did, I'd have to do 5 full squats in a row. There are a LOT of telephone poles during a 3 mile walk, and I got some funny looks, but it was definitely a better workout than just walking!

2. Tonight, I have made a committment to sit my stationary bike at home for 30 minutes.

3. ROM exercises for shoulder Rx'd by physical therapist sets of 5 reps twice a day.

3. Nutrition:
B: 2 eggs, 1/2 c. blueberries
L: green salad w/avocado, olive oil and vinegar, sardines
D: steak, cucumber and tomato salad

Supplements: fish oil, Zyflamend

I slept a little better yesterday.

Now I'm thinking of what else I can do on my walks...adding a set of walking lunges at each corner....squats at the telephone poles....might take me 90 minutes to walk the 3 miles!

Susie
Old 08-02-2008, 08:02 AM   #75
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Susie, very inspiring. The road is a little longer than planned, which will make it that much sweeter when you get there. Keep going and keep logging.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #76
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Went to the gym today, pushed a little, and I feel good.

1. 2K row: 9 min. 12 sec. My best 2K time was 8 min. 25 sec. sometime during the last 10K Holiday Challenge. This 2K zonked me!

2. Two miles on the treadmill. I alternated walking a quarter with running a quarter. During the runs (up to 7mph speed) my heart rate got up to 164! I'm way deconditioned...but I did all four running quarters running.

3. I did 2 sets of deep squats with 20 lbs.; 2 sets of 25 declined situps, 2 sets of 10 back extensions, 2 sets of 5 body rows. It was hard to find a position that didn't hurt my elbow or shoulder for the body rows, but a wide chin up grip was manageable.

B: 2 eggs, vegetarian chili
L: chicken drumstick, vegetarian chili, carrot sticks
D: steak, sauteed beet greens, mixed green salad w/ olive oil and vinegar
snacks: fruit, greek yogurt, nuts

Onward!
Susie
Old 08-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #77
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Last night was a b*tch-and-a-half. Got two hours sleep, really bad pain. Maybe rowing and running, and doing body rows aren't such a good idea just yet! (My acupuncturist says let's get a couple of pain-free WEEKS rather than just a few pain-free hours before we push, after last night, I'm with him.) This is going to be one boring log for a while. "Walk, walk, walk, walk..SWIM!"

Today:
Nothing but walking: two 30-minute walks and 1 60 min. walk.
B: 2 eggs, salsa, Greek yogurt
L: green salad, olive oil & vinegar, chicken breast
s: peach
D: steak, green salad, roasted veggies, corn on cob

*sigh* One step forward, two steps back, two steps forward....LORD, GIVE ME PATIENCE RIGHT NOW!

Susie
Old 08-06-2008, 05:56 AM   #78
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Yesterday was a wash as far as exercise goes. I was so wiped out, it was all I could do to go to physical therapy. I felt a lot better after that. I have limited ROM in my shoulder and and a lot of pain at the elbow, but it felt really good to work with the PT on some mobility.

Last night was the best night of sleep I've had in months. I was on call, so it got interrupted, but I feel more human this morning.

Today I am going to walk for an hour, then go through a careful DB routine with 5 lb. DBs for my right arm, then carefully work through some stretches and my PT exercises. There's no excuse for not doing squats and lunges, NONE!

Susie
Old 10-13-2008, 09:48 AM   #79
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Thanks to those of you who have emailed and inquired after my wellbeing.

It's just about 5 1/2 months since my surgery, which was complicated by adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder).

I've had the devil's own time with physical activity. I haven't been able to jog, run, lift weights or swim, and even spin class gives me days of increased neck, shoulder and upper back pain.

So I am still in the recovery and rehab phase. I'm working with a physical therapist and a wonderful massage therapist with expertise in orthopedic injuries. With my team's help, I am finally getting some increased range of motion in my left shoulder as well as in my neck.

So far, the three things I am able to do are T'ai Chi, a gentle dance class for seniors, and some bodyweight exercises, like lunges and squats.

For a while, my mindset was pretty defeated, thinking of myself as someone whose injuries had pushed me over the edge into old age. But my massage therapist told me to think of myself as athlete in rehab, which helps me stay positive and focused on the things I can do each day, instead of the things I can't.

I've gained 12 pounds, but my weight is holding steady here, and I know it will drop as I am able to increase my activity. I miss my muscles..

I appreciate the inquiries I've had from folks here and there, thank you for thinking of me. Every day is a little better, but it's a slow process, and pushing it only sets me back.

Susie
Old 10-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #80
George Mounce

Profile:

One day at a time, keep up the fight!