CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:43 PM   #11
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: Let's get the good guys back

And that will be when...? lol
Old 07-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #12
Jason M Struck

Profile:

i'll stop fighting over pull ups when you tear the pull up bar out of my cold dead hands.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #13
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

I hate to admit it, but there is simply so much dreck now on the Boards that it really is hard to take the time to post. I think guys like Steven Low and some others (not to pick on him) have found that it's just increasingly hard to wade through the chaff - especially when it's the SAME CHAFF as was discussed 2 years ago! When I first came on here, the community was so small that you could read every post from a given day pretty quickly and keep yourself updated on what was gong on. Not so anymore.

Second, the Board was sometimes harsh back in the day. Now, anyone who tells a NEWB to use the search function is piled on as being an elitist or not friendly enough, etc. I'm not sure what this adds to the discussion, but it's not incomprehensible to me that some people have decreased their time on the Boards. Plus, some (like me) have opened affiliates in addition to their day jobs (plus keeping up their own fitness).

There just isn't the time.

Now having said all of that, let me say that I try hard to come back here and add something, whether it's on matters of philosophy if not programming/fitness. I feel an obligation to the Community, but many people do not necessarily feel that way. My sense, one that bothers me personally, is the ingratitude of some who have learned vast amounts from CF and the Glassmans (and even these Boards) but feel that they owe nothing, not even common courtesy or a nod of respect, in return. The Internet has, I think, made many people feel free to be a-holes.

Now, this may add nothing, but people like Bingo have reached out to some of the "old crew" and OCers (original crossfitters) to come back to the fold. I've noticed the return of a few of those. I think over time some of those folks will find their way back here. I'm hopeful guys like Larry Lindenmann and Skip Chase and Eugene Allen and Mike Yukish and Matt Gagliardi (and the list goes on) will stumble their way back here.

One final thought kicking around on this issue. As CF started to explode (about late 2005 to early 2006, I would say) there were many calls for "membership" fees (even a nominal $5 fee or subscription to the Journal) in order to post on the Boards - to weed out some of the trolling and other jack-a$$ery. I was against it then, but I begin to think that maybe those guys back then (the older folks who lamented some of the "mainstreaming" of CF) may have had a point. Coach doesn't need the scratch and the intended purpose isn't to make $$ - hell, he could (and would) give it all to charity, I suspect or some other worthy cause, but oddly enough I think it would "bring back" a lot of the early diehards and might elevate the discussion here. But I might be completely wrong.

Sorry for the long rant.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #14
John Schneider

Profile:

Wow, I hadn't realized that many of the central experts had walked. I come and go to the boards and do a lot of lurking, but it hadn't dawned on me that all those names were missing.

I do like the idea of limiting membership to CF Journal subscription holders. It makes it even more of a benefit to get the journal and it would encourage a more educated poster. I don't want to limit the access of the NEWB and I love the enthusiasm that they bring, but really isn't the journal a better place to start than a random post on the board where they don't have the expertise to determine the difference between advice from Robb Wolf vs some troll who took an exercise class in college once.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #15
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Dale/John;

Very well stated.

Let the Newb's have access to the daily WOD and it's comment page, charge $25.00 per year for forum access, $25.00 for CF Journal, and some type of discount for both.

I brought this up at least a year ago, got blasted by Lynne, David (MOD'S) and numerous other's.

I'll cover your back, but prepare to duck. Speaking of duck, you got to try some duck fat, tasty stuff.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #16
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I would pay $25 to post message here.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #17
Melissa Urban

Profile:

I would happily sponsor both Jay and Jamie's fees. That's some relatively inexpensive fun right there.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #18
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Byers View Post
I would happily sponsor both Jay and Jamie's fees. That's some relatively inexpensive fun right there.
U are sooooooooooo sweet. Bummer I can't PayPal ya some Tongue.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #19
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
OMG, I totally read that the wrong way; what can you expect from a DOL? (dirty old lady)

Susie
Old 08-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #20
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
That sounds dirty, but I'm reasonably sure it's not.

Not only would I pay to post here, but I'd feel more comfortable posting things knowing the general lurking public (including my boss and people who work for me) couldn't click around checking out my AM workout results or how my latest IF effort is going.