CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-18-2008, 05:29 AM   #11
Rich Knipping

Profile:
Re: Paleo, Zone, and the Foodie

i've been following the zone now for about 6 weeks with mostly paleo foods. the exceptions being dairy and oatmeal. it was confusing at first trying to figure out blocks and such. after the first week, it's a piece of cake. have the right foods on hand, a measuring cup and go for it.
i'm a chiropractor and have a pretty good nutritional background too and Dr. Sears book makes a lot of sense. aside from improving athletic performance it is super beneficial to your overall health too!!

the zone really gives balance to your diet. my wife loves to cook (italian family) and now follows zone principals and the food is great!!!!

i recommend you read "Enter the Zone", it clears up a lot of questions!!

good luck
Old 06-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
Emily Mattes

Profile:

I'm a foodie and an aspiring cook. I would go Paleo. I've found the Zone cookbooks to kind of suck and haven't had much success finding good Zone recipes. You can use the block chart provided in Crossfit Journal 21 to create many simple meals--but keep in mind these are SIMPLE meals. If you think a dish would taste better with a little more or less olive oil, for example, too bad--you would be out of the ZONE! It is a TREMENDOUS amount of work creating new recipes that balance spicing and flavors while maintaining the 40-30-30 proportions.

So if you go Paleo, you basically have a list of ingredients (which is everything in the world minus sugars, grains, legumes, and dairy, basically), and you're free to combine it and create recipes in whatever way you wish. I find it to be a lot easier to execute more complex, nuanced dishes on Paleo, rather than Zone or Paleo-Zone. What I generally do in terms of diet is eat Paleo, and aim for goal of protein in grams and to stay under a certain number of calories. When I follow this system, it works pretty well for me.

I hope you're not a baker, though . . . There are no Paleo pastry chefs . . .
Old 06-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #13
Kristina McLinden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post

I hope you're not a baker, though . . . There are no Paleo pastry chefs . . .

I bake every once in a while but, no, I prefer cooking.

Thanks for your input!!

Old 06-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #14
Paul Epstein

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
If you think a dish would taste better with a little more or less olive oil, for example, too bad--you would be out of the ZONE! It is a TREMENDOUS amount of work creating new recipes that balance spicing and flavors while maintaining the 40-30-30 proportions.
I find protein is the key to getting these dishs zone friendly. Its the hardest thing to get right but once you have the amount of protein you require, you can add extra fat quite easily (drizzle some olive oil, some sliced avacado etc always makes meals taste better) and make up your carbs with some fruit for dessert.

Also most people multiply fat blocks so i think if you think your dish would taste better with a little more olice oil, then add it. Just make sure your total number of blocks (or calories) is in check.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #15
Kristina McLinden

Profile:

Thanks for all your help Paul!

Old 06-19-2008, 06:15 AM   #16
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

I also spend a lot of time thinking about food, seeking out sources of high quality food (grassfed meats and eggs, etc.).

First, you have to define your goals vis-a-vis your diet. Do you want to eat for optimal health? Do you want to eat for optimal fitness?

And then think honestly about what you are willing to do. Are you willing to weigh and measure all your food? Calculate blocks for the Zone? It's just a lot of discipline. Folks around here for the most part swear by the results of the Zone: it's a very precise way of supporting lean body mass while whittling away fat to obtain or maintain a low bodyfat percentage.

Here's some book-reading to do:

Animal, Vegetable, Mineral by Barbara Kingslover
Paleo Diet for Athletes
Mastering the Zone
The Omnivore's Dilemma
In Defense of Food (last two by Michael Pollan)

There's a hierarchy of changes you can make. It doesn't have to be all or nothing right off the bat. You can be a foodie who eats for reasons other than pleasure, though pleasure is, as Martha says, A Good Thing.

For general good health:
Limit sugar, white flour, refined grains, processed foods of all sorts. Start your meals with real food, not the edible foodlike substances you can buy in fancy packages.

Eat meat, eggs, and dairy that come from pastured or (truly) free range animals.

Eat wild caught fish frequently. (Farm raised fish are just about as bad for you as conventionally raised beef.)

Eat whole grains, not refined. Whole grains are oats, barley, brown rice, etc. in as unprocessed a state as possible. (Steel cut oats, not a package of sugared and powdered oats in individual packets.)

If you want to take it a step further, make sure you eat a little protein, fat, and good carb at each meal or snack.

If you want to go even further, start journaling what you eat by writing it all down in approximate servings.

If you want to eat for performance, then follow the Zone, really paying attention to the quality of the foods you choose using the above guidelines. Paleo guidelines work well.

One final thought. Healthy eating can be delicious and satisfying for a foodie. Just think about a lovely skillet of onions and garlic caramelizing in a cast iron skillet in some olive oil, topped with chopped chard and collard greens, with a sprinkle of toasted pine nuts and a few raisins. A perfectly poached or grilled piece of wildcaught salmon on top. YUM!

Susie
Old 06-19-2008, 06:19 AM   #17
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Nice post Susie;
You've been missed, hope all is going well.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #18
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Nice post Susie;
You've been missed, hope all is going well.
It's going, Jay, just slowly!

Susie
Old 06-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #19
Kristina McLinden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Rosenberg View Post
First, you have to define your goals vis-a-vis your diet. Do you want to eat for optimal health? Do you want to eat for optimal fitness?
I'm overweight at the moment so I want to lose bodyfat and get down to a healtier weight. I also wouldn't mind some of the WOD performance improvements that people talk about.

Quote:
And then think honestly about what you are willing to do. Are you willing to weigh and measure all your food? Calculate blocks for the Zone? It's just a lot of discipline. Folks around here for the most part swear by the results of the Zone: it's a very precise way of supporting lean body mass while whittling away fat to obtain or maintain a low bodyfat percentage.
People have indicated that the food portions quickly become intuitive. If that is the case then I'd be willing to do it for a few weeks if I could eyeball it then after. I'm a graduate student with very little free time so sometimes planning ahead is difficult.

Quote:
Here's some book-reading to do:
Animal, Vegetable, Mineral by Barbara Kingslover
Paleo Diet for Athletes
Mastering the Zone
The Omnivore's Dilemma
In Defense of Food (last two by Michael Pollan)
I have read the Paleo book and the Zone book (Zone more of a skim read) I have listened to Michael Pollan talk on NPR and I think the man is a genius. I feel like Crossfit is the right answer for fitness. I wish I could find the one "right answer" for diet.

I guess that's the probably really. I think I'm waiting for someone to slap me in the face and say this is right diet for me, which is never going to happen. I think I'm just going to do a 2 week trial run with the zone and see how it goes. No amount of reading is going to tell me more than what a trial run will.

Thank you for your input Susie. I think you and I are on a similar page in regards to food.

Kristina
Old 06-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #20
Nick Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina McLinden View Post
I'm overweight at the moment so I want to lose bodyfat and get down to a healtier weight. I also wouldn't mind some of the WOD performance improvements that people talk about.

People have indicated that the food portions quickly become intuitive. If that is the case then I'd be willing to do it for a few weeks if I could eyeball it then after. I'm a graduate student with very little free time so sometimes planning ahead is difficult.

I have read the Paleo book and the Zone book (Zone more of a skim read) I have listened to Michael Pollan talk on NPR and I think the man is a genius. I feel like Crossfit is the right answer for fitness. I wish I could find the one "right answer" for diet.

I guess that's the probably really. I think I'm waiting for someone to slap me in the face and say this is right diet for me, which is never going to happen. I think I'm just going to do a 2 week trial run with the zone and see how it goes. No amount of reading is going to tell me more than what a trial run will.

Thank you for your input Susie. I think you and I are on a similar page in regards to food.

Kristina
Hey Kristina,

As someone who used to hate cooking and now does it regularly I can suggest just a couple of things. First off, what everyone else said is true, the zone teaches you proportions. Secondly, although at first its tough to adjust to eating boring foods (i.e. 2 cups broccoli, 4 cups spinach, etc..) you find that after a month or so, the boredom necessitates experimentation. From there you just have to use your imagination. There are plenty of food combinations that are zone compatible, you just have to start cooking them.

Also, I highly recommend going paleo too with grass fed animal products. Now that I am zone light (eyeballing) eating quality meats is so important and honestly makes the food taste that much better. Good luck and start zoning!