CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 02-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #21
Jonathan Rich

Profile:
Re: Jon's Journal

"Joshie"
Complete three rounds for time of:
40 pound Dumbbell snatch, 21 reps, right arm
21 L Pull-ups
40 pound Dumbbell snatch, 21 reps, left arm
21 L Pull-ups

Scaled to 30 lbs. dumbell and tuck pullups

DB Snatch R T-PU DB Snatch L T-PU
Rd-1 21 21 21 21 ~21 min.
Rd-2 15 12 15 12 ~37 min.
Rd-3 15 12 15 12 55:07

After the first round took approx. 21 min. I decided I better scale or it was going to take well over an hour. The WOD in general was harder than I had imagined, but it was mainly the tuck pullups that were taking me so long. Overall it was a butt-kicking workout, but I definitely have to work on increasing my pullup strength.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #22
Jonathan Rich

Profile:

Push Jerk 3-3-3-3-3-3-3 reps

45 x 5
45 x 5
65 x 5
115 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
165 x 3
165 x 2 (F3)
165 x 2 (F3)

This was my first time with push jerks so I decided to take it easy and try to have good form. I'm sure my form still needs work, but I guess it was alright for my first go at it, but i still need to work on form before I go heavier next time. I think the failed attempts were mainly due to bad form. I started off really holding the load on my wrists instead of resting on the front of my shoulders, so my wrists paid for it in the later rounds. My left arm was really tender after the workout today. Very tendinitis-type feeling which seems strange from this type of movement. Maybe this is simply from the pull-ups yesterday and the cleans to get started today. I don't know.

Also my right knee felt kind of weak while working out today, possibly from the snatches yesterday. I'm glad tomorrow is a rest day. I think I need it.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:56 PM   #23
Jonathan Rich

Profile:

I haven't worked out since Wednesday. I was hoping all I needed was the rest day Thursday for my knee to feel better but I was wrong. It has continued to get swollen, every day, as the day goes on. Went to a birthday party Saturday night and when I got home it felt really swollen. It always feels better first thing in the morning, but today it didn't take long for it swell and actually start hurting some. This is the first time it has actually "hurt" when I squat. Most of the time it just feels "tight" like there's fluid on my knee. I guess I'm going to have to break down and go to the doctor. I've been putting it off because I'm pretty sure they'll want me to get an MRI and that means I'll have to pay my $1,000 deductible. That just sucks. Oh well, I guess I'll have to see what the doctor says.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #24
Jonathan Rich

Profile:

No workout today. My knee is still screwed up. I iced it several times today, but it's still stiff and swollen. I have an appointment with an orthopaedic doctor tomorrow morning. At this point I just want to know what's wrong with my knee. Wish me luck. Hopefully it's nothing too bad.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #25
Jonathan Rich

Profile:

Saw the ortho yesterday, and her opinion is that I have Chondromalacia, which is basically "Runners Knee". It's rather a broad diagnosis which means they think I have "irritated cartilage" that's causing fluid buildup. I'm to continue icing it and not to exercise until swelling goes down. After the swelling goes down I'm not to run or lifts weights with my legs for at least three weeks because it's suppose to take a while to completely heal. I guess I'm stuck running on the elliptical and doing body-weight exercises for now. I suppose that won't be too bad if that's all it takes to get my knee better. We'll see.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #26
Jonathan Rich

Profile:

Iced my knee several times yesterday and took naproxen twice as prescribed. Same thing today. The swelling seems to be getting better everyday. It does seem like I have some popping or clicking in the knee, which I wouldn't describe as painful, but definitely uncomfortable. I also seem to have a dull ache in the knee, although I do wonder if I'm noticing pain that could have been there before that I previosuly thought nothing about. We'll see.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #27
Jonathan Rich

Profile:

Pretty much the same with treatment today. Icing 5 times and taking naproxen. Still have some swelling and I'm sort of surprised by that. I thought it would be gone by now. I want to work out but I also don't want to make recovery longer. I may try a little something tomorrow or Sunday and see how my knee responds.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:43 PM   #28
Jonathan Rich

Profile:

Didn't have time to ice as much today due to working at my rental house. Only iced twice, but obviously took my naproxen. Swelling does seem to be a little less today and I spent quite a bit of time on my feet. Good sign.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #29
Jonathan Rich

Profile:

Yesterday only iced my knee twice due to working at the rental house. Took my medicine. No pain, but knee does feel weak and I seem to have some popping/clicking.

Iced my knee four times today, took my medicine. My damn knee is still a little swollen and I'm definitely having some clicking going on when I squat down. I'm not sure what the hell is going on with it. I left a message this afternoon with my ortho, so hopefully I'll hear something back in the morning. I had planned to wait until the swelling was completely gone to continue working out, but I had no idea it was going to take this long with icing, medicine and complete rest to get the swelling to go away. Needless to say, I'm aggravated.

Last edited by Jonathan Rich; 02-18-2008 at 07:32 PM..
Old 02-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #30
Jonathan Rich

Profile:

Alright, so I've been slack as hell about posting this week, but it has been the same old thing with my knee. Icing it 5 or 6 times a day and taking the naproxen. My knee has been about the same, with some swelling by the end of the day. It really seemed to be popping/clicking alot so I called the doctor on Tuesday and was told this was common with chondromalacia. I still have my doubts that is what it is, but I figured I would go with it for now. I have an appointment in a week and a half for them to check my progress, and I may push for a re-assessment depending on what I'm told then.

I finally noticed that I was letting the fact that my knee was taking so long to heal, really get me down mentally. The doctor said I could workout as long as I didn't run, or put weight on my legs. I figured my knee would heal really fast, so I decided to give it complete rest until it did. Well, it didn't, and then I started to stress about it. I've decided I'm going to workout and long as it doesn't hurt while I'm doing it or cause alot of swelling afterwards. I've rested as about as much as I can without the doctor forcing it on me.

Tonight I did a workout to ease back into things.

4 Rounds of-
Run 400 meters (elliptical)
10 pullups

I didn't even time it. I just wanted to workout, and it felt great. Hopefully the knee won't swell too much.

Last edited by Jonathan Rich; 02-22-2008 at 08:29 PM..