CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #11
Sean Smith

Profile:
Re: powerlifter looking to make it to regionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McLeod View Post
Well like I said in the original post I know its going to go down but I would like to keep it at a minimum. I would say ultimately I would like to compete around 230. Im about 6'2 so I would say slightly above average. I got down to about 250 then the PL bug bite me again and I wanted to get as big and strong as I could get. So now im back to square one. oh well you live and learn.
Good news - with your numbers, I bet you could power snatch 225 very quickly. In regards to your programming, I would suggest doing your lifts every 1:00. The best bang for your buck would be something like: 5 BSQ @ 70% on the odd minutes, 5 Push Press @ 70% on the even minutes. Do this for 10:00. You need to do elevated heartrate strength. I could care less what you back squat in a singlet at a meet. I want to see what you can back squat with your heartrate at 140 bpm after you've run a few miles. Even if you took 3 months off of squatting (Which I am not suggesting), you'd still have a very respectable back squat. Your strength needs to be put on the back burner. I know a guy who made regionals the last two years and his back squat was only 355 and his deadlift was 435. To make Regionals, you need to be a good CrossFitter. To make the Games, you need to be a freak.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #12
Ben Norris

Profile:

www.theoutlawway.com (wfs mostly, if you consider having a mancrush on klokov as wfs)

Do this to the letter. Job done
Old 09-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
Sean McLeod

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Smith View Post
Good news - with your numbers, I bet you could power snatch 225 very quickly. In regards to your programming, I would suggest doing your lifts every 1:00. The best bang for your buck would be something like: 5 BSQ @ 70% on the odd minutes, 5 Push Press @ 70% on the even minutes. Do this for 10:00. You need to do elevated heartrate strength. I could care less what you back squat in a singlet at a meet. I want to see what you can back squat with your heartrate at 140 bpm after you've run a few miles. Even if you took 3 months off of squatting (Which I am not suggesting), you'd still have a very respectable back squat. Your strength needs to be put on the back burner. I know a guy who made regionals the last two years and his back squat was only 355 and his deadlift was 435. To make Regionals, you need to be a good CrossFitter. To make the Games, you need to be a freak.

Ya that makes since. Thanks for the help ill definitely be doing more stuff like that into my training
Old 09-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
Sean McLeod

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
www.theoutlawway.com (wfs mostly, if you consider having a mancrush on klokov as wfs)

Do this to the letter. Job done
I actually did that for about a month and really enjoyed it. I stopped though because I missed my power lifting so much. But im over chasing numbers and weighing 275 pounds plus the nagging shoulder and back pain
Old 10-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #15
Bryan Spillman

Profile:

one of my coaches often tells me.... "just go hard, let the hard work take care of the rest." ~ The open is more about endurance, you have the strength for sure.. endurance + skill work. that's my vote.