CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Bryan Spillman

Profile:
Unhappy Wrist Pain

I am sure quite a few have experienced this... did a decently heavy power clean while not being totally warmed up for this movement. Caught the weight in semi-upright front rack and my wrist has been killing me ever since...

Palm down, the pain is right on the head of the bone on the inside. Can't really lift wide-grip (snatch) weight over my head as the pressure kills it.

Sore to touch\bang when I hit on stuff walking around or playing with kids.

R.I.C.E. ? and wait an additional week and get x-ray?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Bryan Spillman

Profile:
Re: Wrist Pain

Looks like where A and 1 intersect...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Carpus.png ~ work safe.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Don't wait a week if pain has not gone away
Old 07-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Never sure without an exam from a qualified professional but sounds like it could be a scaphoid fracture.

http://youtu.be/CFFeKg1o3AY SFW

Fractured mine several years back falling backward while polevaulting. The issue with these is that sometimes the bone loses blood supply and dies off. Not to scare you but it would be smart to see a doc.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
Bryan Spillman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Pope View Post
Never sure without an exam from a qualified professional but sounds like it could be a scaphoid fracture.

http://youtu.be/CFFeKg1o3AY SFW

Fractured mine several years back falling backward while polevaulting. The issue with these is that sometimes the bone loses blood supply and dies off. Not to scare you but it would be smart to see a doc.
just checked your link, it doesn't hurt when I press in there. However does hurt on early sets of back squats even... I did burpees yesterday and dont notice anything extra in terms of pain today. Giving it a little Rest first in terms of lifting items.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
Bryan Spillman

Profile:

http://www.bigslowwhiteguy.com/wp-co...HurtsHere1.png ~ work safe
Old 07-30-2013, 05:42 AM   #7
Bryan Spillman

Profile:

Got xray, no breaks. Chiropractic resource says its a strain. Haven't been doing anything lift wise and still not any change...
Old 08-01-2013, 03:27 AM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I was gonna say wrist strain. This will happens with cleans and it sucks big time when it does.

Did this right before September last year.

Depending on the category of wrist pain will vary on how long it takes.

What worked well for me was voodoo band therapy for about 3 weeks. I also focused on movement and ROM.

I risked it and was back to doing cleans in about a week but I never ended to cleaning anywhere near my max. I can remember doing cleans up to about 50-60% and doing pulls after that.

So front squats and cleans came back fast. I tried early on to do front squats with straps and didn't like it much with them heavy.

It definitely took awhile to go heavy overhead though. I can remember it being very ginger to snatch or press anything but the bar.

Full Snatches and Drop Snatches seems to aggravate it more than pressing snatch balances so I pretty much ended up staying away from those. Same thing with Jerks or Push Press. It just hurt too much to keep it in support with the wrist flexed.

I did work on DB press as that keeps the wrist more neutral but it was fairly light. Up to 40lbs for awhile.

Jerk/Snatch recoveries were something I found I could work on limited. I was always trying to work around right around that point but would stay away from sharp pain. My buddy, the owner told me to be careful and pretty much just squat and pull but I think the moving and ROM really helped. Especially the voodoo band therapy with lots of wrist flexion stretches and DB circles.

I ended up adding in bear walks and crab walks in my warmup when I could after a month or two. At first I would just stretch them by flexing the wrist while standing over a box, then doing it on the floor with my palms on some rolled up mats or turf for padding.

I still had to wear wraps till about February. Occasionally they will get a bit irritated on heavy BS, jerks/push presses and if I haven't snatched in a few days or a week ( so I will start by doing some voodoo band wrapping in my warmup ).

Good luck. It sucks. I did something similar back in 03 playing volleyball and pretty much stopped tumbling and gymnastics for a LONG time (6 months) because I didn't really do anything or know to do anything but stay off them. Occasionally I would try to do pushup position and I can remember the kids in my classes laughing or being concerned that I could barely support myself. Pretty sucky.