CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Namir Yedid

Profile:
Right knee caves. Activation/correctives?

When I do single-leg squats (on a box), box jumps, or other movements where I can really notice differences between my legs, I can see that my right knee/leg caves in. I don't feel it much on front/back squats, but it is definitely noticeable on the other movements. On the single-leg squats, my left side feels rock solid while my right is really shaky. I keep feeling like I want to push my right toes away to increase the angle (away from midline), while the knee is falling inward.

Can anyone recommend correctives or activation work that might help work on this?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Right knee caves. Activation/correctives?

If it doesn't happen with BS/FS, but does with single leg, and box jumps....what about deadlifts?

I would guess inhibited glute medius. If it were your ankle mobility, you should see this with the BS/FS too.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Hillary Ashton

Profile:

I have this issue (or something similar) most squat type moves my right knee wants to cave in (or does). Per my coach, I have to make sure the weight is high enough but not so high that my knee can't push out. I focus on pushing the knee out when I do these sort of exercises. I've noticed it getting better in the 2 months I've been doing cross fit exercises.

FWIW I am SUPER mobile and I think this is somehow related to my issue so I also pay special attention to NOT over (hyper) extending my knee as well.

HTH
Old 12-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

If this occurs in all of your squats(FS, BS, OHS), but only at higher weights, it's unlikely a mobility issue as long as your style/set up is similar in each. More than likely some asymmetries in muscular strength are an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillary Ashton View Post
I have this issue (or something similar) most squat type moves my right knee wants to cave in (or does). Per my coach, I have to make sure the weight is high enough but not so high that my knee can't push out. I focus on pushing the knee out when I do these sort of exercises. I've noticed it getting better in the 2 months I've been doing cross fit exercises.

FWIW I am SUPER mobile and I think this is somehow related to my issue so I also pay special attention to NOT over (hyper) extending my knee as well.

HTH
Old 12-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
Namir Yedid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
If it doesn't happen with BS/FS, but does with single leg, and box jumps....what about deadlifts?

I would guess inhibited glute medius. If it were your ankle mobility, you should see this with the BS/FS too.
Brian-- thanks for the reply. I have been off deadlifts for some time due to a disc injury and have been substituting with heavy hip thrusts. They don't irritate my lumbar spine.

In terms of it not happening with BS/FS, I am usually pretty conscious of the "sit between your legs" and "push the knees out" cues when squatting, so maybe that's letting me activate whatever is not firing properly when I do jumps or single-leg stuff? I'd be grateful for any tips on either testing to see if my glute medius is in fact shut down or to activate it if is. Thanks!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

Stick with the hip thrusts. Doing them with a barbell?

And google hip airplane, bird/dog, fire hydrant. Those will be some beneficial exercises, IF the problem is with the glutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namir Yedid View Post
Brian-- thanks for the reply. I have been off deadlifts for some time due to a disc injury and have been substituting with heavy hip thrusts. They don't irritate my lumbar spine.

In terms of it not happening with BS/FS, I am usually pretty conscious of the "sit between your legs" and "push the knees out" cues when squatting, so maybe that's letting me activate whatever is not firing properly when I do jumps or single-leg stuff? I'd be grateful for any tips on either testing to see if my glute medius is in fact shut down or to activate it if is. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

This may help

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/
Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post

Good points, my take on why dynamic valgus (knee in) might be occuring:
1. Poor ankle mobility
2. Poor foot stability (especially with single leg exercises)
3. Poor hip stability

So:
1. Fix ankle mobility: http://fitnesspainfree.com/?p=706
2. Fix your foot: http://fitnesspainfree.com/?p=2854
3. Work on Hip Stability: http://youtu.be/FCgeFTiUC78
4. Modify exercises (make them easier) and lighten loads used so that genu valgus doesn't happen.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Dan Pope www.fitnesspainfree.com