CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Robert Hunt

Profile:
DIY Bandbell

Finished my DIY Bandbell today...going to try it out shortly. I got the fiberglass rod from Grainger. A co-worker ordered it for me and had it delivered there, so no shipping. $47.15. There were two lengths in the 1 inch diameter. 10' and 5'. So I had to go with the 10. I bought a 1 7/8" dowel for the collars. Cut two 15" long then bored a 1" hole in the center, 12" deep. That was the hardest part by far. I built a simple jig for my drillpress and had to buy a 1" x 16" spade bit. $10 at Lowes. I started the hole with a fostner bit and went maybe 4" with it because the spade bits chatter and it's harder to get closer to center with those. Anyways I'm excited to try it out. Below are some pics of the bar. (WFS)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DIY Bandbell.jpg
Views:	2023
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	8823

Name:	DIY Bandbell 2.jpg
Views:	1999
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	8824

Name:	DIY Bandbell 3.jpg
Views:	1640
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	8825
Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Ben Moore

Profile:
Re: DIY Bandbell

That kicks ***!
Old 01-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Craig Sifers

Profile:

Nice! Got a chance to play with it much yet? How well does it flex? A quick self review would be much appreciated.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Robert Hunt

Profile:

Thanks Ben!
Craig, So far I have tried flat bench, squats and overhead press with the bar. I have only one 45# kettlebell so I hung plates instead. Wouldn't think that matters. I started with 25 per side on the bench and it was eaisier than anticipated. I went to 35, then 45. There was some shaking during all the reps. Not sure which bands that the westside crew uses, I bought a beginner package set from somewhere, can't remember but I have some singles and a pair of purple. I used the set and the plates were draging the ground so it negated the effect at first. I doubled the bands and it helped. I loaded 50 per side on the squats and same thing dragging. o/h press was awesome. Loaded with 25 per side. Then added 20 per side on the bar. In effect 25 per side swinging and the 20/side stable. That worked out really well. Will be playing around with it for a while. Going to try using heavier bands, even though it will be lopsided and see if that helps with the draging effect. I have a shoulder injury is the reason I built it, to use as therapy. As far as the bar being theraputic, time will tell. I plan on adding in some accessory sets to my normal routine. Also it will double as a "ladys" bar as I try and get the wifey in on lifting.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I'm pretty sure the vids I've seen at Westside and when I went to the Cert at Westside they doubled up the mini's. Can you quad them up? I guess the benefit of the kettlebell is that it is shorter in diameter so it won't hit hte floor as easily?

I also wonder with the heavier plates, could you use a short pipe or dumbell handle and choke a band around it then pull the band through the hup so the plate lies parallel to the floor?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
Robert Hunt

Profile:

Didn't think about choking the pipe like that. Great idea. I will try it out this week and let you know how it goes. I am saving for the kettlebell package from fringesport. But that would still only leave me with one pair ,45s. How much weight were the westside guys using?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Wesley Mire

Profile:

I built one too. I used the same basic materials. It was pretty easy and works well!
Thanks for the info.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1006
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	12075   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	12076   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	12077  
Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Hunt View Post
Didn't think about choking the pipe like that. Great idea. I will try it out this week and let you know how it goes. I am saving for the kettlebell package from fringesport. But that would still only leave me with one pair ,45s. How much weight were the westside guys using?
Wes ressurected the thread and I saw Robert H's question. My recollection was 2-3 KB's a side, at lest 45lb bells.

I've been too cheap to buy a bandell, and too lazy to make one, but have a rogue Axel and for light/higher rep work it works well putting some plates or KB's hung in the same fashion as a bandell. Causes plenty of instability.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
Lindy Hruska

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Mire View Post
I built one too. I used the same basic materials. It was pretty easy and works well!
Thanks for the info.
How did you secure the dowels to the bar?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
Wesley Mire

Profile:

we drilled the hole 1" and the tube is 1" it is a really snug fit, didn't use glue or anything just tapped the dowel on with a mallet