CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 06-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
Anthony Rubino

Profile:
To Chiro or Not Chiro

Hi,

Other than a L5-S1 herniation 2.5 years ago, I feel that I have a "healthy" back. I have no chronic pain and only the occasional acute pain related to something I did improperly, most recently, while jerking, I felt a twinge on the right side of my mid back under the lat. Over the next couple of days, the pain increased. As luck would have it, I was at the CF games (spectator) and was introduced to a chiro on site doing adjustments. The chiro felt that I had a rib issue and he/she could do a quick adjustment. After the adjustment and over the next couple of days the pain worsened and then improved. After 6 days of light WOD's and rest, I felt better. This timeline is consistent with other "muscle" injuries I have experienced.

To the point:

I went to visit the chiro; he took a few x-rays and said he would get back to me with the results. I received a call on Saturday from the chiro, and he said he finished the review and wanted to get me back in the office. He said he has seen some bad backs and mine wasn't the worse, but it was up there.
He wanted to start seeing me 2-3 times a week for the next 3 months and then once a week after that. I'm very skeptical and am looking to this group for any and all opinions on chiropractors and adjustments.

Thanks,
Old 06-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: To Chiro or Not Chiro

I've been seeing my chiro for almost a year. My first month was 3 times per week it tapered down to once a week. There was massive improvement initially. There is less now, I think I'm in more of a maintenance phase, my back pain is minimal now unless I sit for a long time or I mow the lawn
Old 06-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Sara Thomas

Profile:

It's hard to comment on whether your chiro is looking out for your interests when we don't know what he thinks is wrong or who he/she is.

That said... I've had chiro treatment off an on for a long time. I get massive headaches + thoracic tightness/pain and chiro is the only thing that I've found to help. I go a couple times a week for a few weeks, taper off to once a month and then I can manage it again on my own for awhile.

I love me a good chiro.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
Megan Zetter

Profile:

A good chiropractor can be amazing and extremely helpful. However, this one does not sound as though he is one of them. X-rays are just a picture, not the whole story. Also, keep in mind there are plenty of people with spines that look horrible on x-ray, yet the person is totally painfree. And the opposite can be true -- perfect looking spine, yet they are in extreme pain. For him to say he needs to see you 3 times a week for a few months without doing a thorough exam is suspicious. I'd ask friends and family for a referral to someone they trust and not go back to this person.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
David Hansen

Profile:

Chiropractic is a great way to spend money in order to obtain anything from a placebo effect to a manipulation-induced stroke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropr..._and_criticism [WFS]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropr...idential_basis [WFS]

To summarize: there's absolutely no significant peer-reviewed evidence to suggest that chiropractic has any efficacy, except with a *very* slight, and quite likely statistically confounded, relief of lower back pain.

It's quackery. But hey, if it works for you, keep it up.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
BMH

Profile:  

Oh noes you didn't! Someone is stirring the pot! :stir:
Old 06-10-2011, 03:26 AM   #7
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Just say no.

Seriously.

"Rib issue" + on the fly adjustment = bad sign.

X-rays + multiple month treatment plan = bad sign.

I am not saying "not to chiro." I am saying not to chiro with this chiro.

You said the injury improved. So, why do you think you need a chiro other than the chiro saying you need him?
Old 06-10-2011, 05:19 AM   #8
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hansen View Post
Chiropractic is a great way to spend money in order to obtain anything from a placebo effect to a manipulation-induced stroke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropr..._and_criticism [WFS]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropr...idential_basis [WFS]

To summarize: there's absolutely no significant peer-reviewed evidence to suggest that chiropractic has any efficacy, except with a *very* slight, and quite likely statistically confounded, relief of lower back pain.

It's quackery. But hey, if it works for you, keep it up.
Way to fight "quakery" with evidence ... Wikipedia? Really? At any rate here are a couple peer reviewed journal articles:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sdarticle.pdf (257.0 KB, 991 views)
File Type: pdf Maintenence care.pdf (164.9 KB, 149 views)
Old 06-10-2011, 05:23 AM   #9
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Here is an article about stroke and chiropractic treatment:

I have many many more articles to support that chiropractic care is safe and very beneficial in many cases.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CMT&VAD.pdf (253.9 KB, 154 views)
Old 06-10-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
David Hansen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Zetter View Post
Way to fight "quakery" with evidence ... Wikipedia? Really? At any rate here are a couple peer reviewed journal articles:
As I mentioned, with the exception of some lower back pain, but with large confounding factors. This first study is likely the one. The SC group incorporated far more use of NSAIDS and exercise than the US group did, and efficacy was determined at 16 weeks, no earlier and no later.

Confounding factors are evil things in statistical studies, and if one group is more active and takes more advil than another group, I'm not going to jump to the immediate conclusion that it was a spinal manipulation that reduced pain in the first group.

In any case, I don't take people who believe all disease is caused by subluxations seriously. The notion is absolutely insane, and a whole gaggle of real doctors at the AMA is on record stating as much. People who claim to be able to cure cancer by popping some vertebrae are dangerous, and pitching a spinal manipulation to a man dying of liver cancer is nothing but pure charlatanism.