CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-01-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
Adam Grant

Profile:
Hopefully the title says it all. As a person who found out the hard way the price of youthful indescretion in a weight room (herniated disc), I'm very interested in taking a pre-emptive effort to keep the typically injured areas of my body safe. If only I had known how harmful a sled foot press machine could be.

Are there any free-weight/athletic safety databases out there? Because recently I've been experiencing a bit of pain and weakness in my right knee when lifting and running. I'd like to know how to strengthen this joint to bolster it against injury as well as find out what activities and mistakes typically injure this joint. I don't want to wait until I blow out my ACL before I start taking care of it.

If there was a place where newbie atheletes and recreational fitness enthusiasts could look this information up, it would save many people a load of pain and surgery. The 'weak points', so to speak, of the human body are the shoulders, spine and knees, right? I'd be interested in any specific exercises that would strengthen these areas- except the back, which I've already researched.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:22 AM   #2
Frank M Needham

Profile:
"Are there any free-weight/athletic safety databases out there?"

Adam my friend, you've already found the database right here - Crossfit itself :-) From what I have learned in the short time that I've been involved with Crossfit, and observed from other long-time participants, the WOD is/can/will do everything you ask about. Crossfit WODs are designed to give a variable and highly intensive workout that meets all the needs you mention.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:42 AM   #3
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
The most important thing to prevent joint injury is proper form and graduated increases in intensity and load. Probably the most common statement on this board in the few months I have been contributing is "I haven't done anything athletic with any real weight or intensity for years and then I started with a full scale WOD and now I hurt something how do I fix it". Our bodies were meant to adapt to minor changes and reject extreme changes ie pukie and rhabdo. While all crossfitters somewhat relish in suffering we have to understand the difference between discomfort and pain. We should seek discomfort but avoid pain. So start slow, grow slowly, and get proper instruction, then you will protect your joints.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:00 AM   #4
Matthew McCarty

Profile:
You might look at this site:

http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Overtraining.html
Old 08-02-2006, 10:12 AM   #5
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Overtraining, or underrecovery as its known around here, is one path that leads to injuries.