CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
Mike Gray

Profile:
Help on my DL - rounded back

Hi guys!

I've just come back to CF after two whole months off. (I tried to remove some foot warts and ended up with a huge infection, puss, crutches, anitbiotics and a lot of pain - then I got the flu - then I went on ski vacation for two weeks. The ski part was kind of fun, though!)

Now that I'm back, one thing I'd like to get serious about is learning how to deadlift correctly. I'm hauling 130kg (78kg bw) in these shots, which is 30kg off my PR - so it's heavy enough to make me work hard, but light enough that I *know* I can lift the weight. I've included lifts 1,4 and 5 of a five lift set.

I'm having huge problems getting my back straight, and these shots bear that out. On lift four I tried setting up differently and seemed to keep a straighter back; however, the balance felt all wrong. (Seemed like I was dragging the weight backwards rather than up.)

Thank you for any help - I don't have access to coaching!

Here's the link (wfs): http://picasaweb.google.com/mikesusangray/MoreCrossFit

Mike
Old 03-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
Mike Gray

Profile:
Re: Help on my DL - rounded back

For some reason, Picasa really wrecks the video quality. Here's a downloadable version of the same three lifts:

https://share.ols.inode.at/D4FU6L7Y1...5RYXEB2T68FC6G
https://share.ols.inode.at/TZ1LFNOR6...77UPRNOS04GXVL
https://share.ols.inode.at/DMENB8VU9...BRZQRCC61ODWIL

Mike
Old 03-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
Mike McDonald

Profile:

Hey, just one generic that always seems to help people I've lifted with. Lower weight to get your form back down. If you've been off of lifting for a few weeks, you might have made some subtle change and you need to adjust. I'd try lower weight first and resetting your form. Hope this helps!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
Michael Teague

Profile:

I am no expert so I hope someone else looks at this also to let me know if my analysis is correct.

It looked to me that you are not locking out your lower back. You are extending your your knees without the weight coming off the floor. Your hip angle closes. This is causing your back to bend out of the lordotic position and placing more work on your hip extensors. Make sure that when you begin the lift by extending the knees that your hip angle does not close. The bar should come off the floor immediately. If you have SS take a look at page 130-131.

Helps this helps.

Everyone else please let me not if I'm FOS.

Mike
Old 03-04-2008, 02:46 AM   #5
Mike Gray

Profile:

Thanks to both of you other Mikes!

Going down on weight may help with the problem - although I have the impression that whatever I'm doing wrong at this weight I'm also doing wrong at lower weights - though it may be easier to correct like that.

I think the issue of locking out my back is a central problem. After looking at all three vids in slow motion, I am definitely straightening my knees before the weights leave the ground - as such, the wieght is pretty much dangling from my lower back.

I have SS downstairs, and I'll reread it in a minute - but are there some cues that can help me do a better job of getting my back ready to go? (Or could it be that the problem isn't technique, but that I'm simply not strong to lift correctly??)

Mike
Old 03-04-2008, 02:54 AM   #6
Brandon Oto

Profile:

I think it's just too heavy.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
Robert Callahan

Profile:

I have the same problem, and the best thing to do is to find the max weight you can do where you still have the right form, and then do sets at that weight and slowly work your way up from there. at least thats what SS says :-P

-Robert

ps: i think it is a much bigger problem for guys that are taller with longer legs, which i am and you also seem to be. the body type predisposes us to be less than optimal deadlifters, but with work we can still do well
Old 03-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
Adam Black

Profile:

New here, but yes, I agrre it sounds too heavy.
However, one other thing that will help correct bad pasture in any sport ( i learned this in rodeo and jiu jitsu). Just look up. The angle that you put your head in when you look up tends to correct a rounded spine.
An old addage in rodeo and jiu jitsu is " your body goes where your head goes". I have paid attention and it is correct.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #9
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Black View Post
New here, but yes, I agrre it sounds too heavy.
However, one other thing that will help correct bad pasture in any sport ( i learned this in rodeo and jiu jitsu). Just look up. The angle that you put your head in when you look up tends to correct a rounded spine.
An old addage in rodeo and jiu jitsu is " your body goes where your head goes". I have paid attention and it is correct.

You have to be careful with that advice though because looking up tends to crack the neck angle taking the cervical spine out of alignment with the rest which can lead to injuries. I had been told that as well for years but after reading Starting strength have since been educated that it is not a good habit, at least according to Mark Rippetoe and since he is basically God.... :-P
Old 03-05-2008, 11:21 PM   #10
Yong Tang

Profile:

Does anyone else find his hip drive to be lacking? I don't know if it's the angle, it's just that your hip extension caught my attention. I don't think the back is 'horrible' though, like everyone said, probably just heavy. As long as you're focusing on hip drive as opposed to back extension you should be fine.