CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-19-2003, 10:35 AM   #1
Scott Parker

Profile:
what's crossfit attitude/opinion toward tapering? i have read/heard from others that it is not always beneficial to always go all out all of the time because it can have negative effects. since i have been doing crossfit i have been going hard every day and was wondering what your opinion is of tapering and if it is a valid and beneficial gthing to do before an event, match, big climb, etc.? i bring this up because with my self i have noticed a small decline in my performance in certain areas. an example would be the muscle up. two weeks ago i did 12 of them at the gym with a minute rest between each one, and the other day couldn't even do one (this was pre workout after a light warm-up)g.

interested to hear what your opinions are on this!

thanks!

scott
Old 02-19-2003, 11:23 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Scott- One can not hit the WOD all out every day...it'll kill ya. Check back through some of the old posts...there is a lot that has been thrown around about this. I have been tappering for our Capoeira Batizado this wekend. My WOD has been very curtailed mainly using them as a recovery from the capoeira workouts. Way to go on the MU's BTW!
Robb
Old 02-19-2003, 04:02 PM   #3
Janet Fisher

Profile:

My bodybuilding trainer (who is objectively coaching me for some Crossfit workouts) was shaking his head today. I showed him the workout (run 1 mile, 50 box jumps; X 4), I looked bemused, and confessed to being all-over stiff and sore after my first 2 full weeks of Crossfit.
He said "you don't have enough recovery time, especially since you work almost the entire body each workout."
I said, "It's 3 days on, 1 day off."
"No, that's not enough recovery time. Without recovery time, you're not building muscle. You'll be well-conditioned, but not big."
I realized that I hadn't yet shared with him my decision to change focus. I don't want him to know that size/shape is not my primary goal anymore (it's secondary :-)). So I just said, "let's go easy today, and I'll take 2 days off."
I felt like a wimp. Ran 1/4 mile, 20 box jumps, X 4 in about 25 minutes.

So, Coach, I'm a little concerned about this recovery ~= muscle increase thang. Any comments?
Old 02-19-2003, 04:44 PM   #4
Coach

Profile:

Throw yourself at the WOD 100% and your family will be burying you by month's end. The tougher you are the harder you'll fall. The program is designed to meet or exceed the capacity of the worlds toughest best conditioned men.

As I've stated elsewhere in this forum, what you need to do is to "just go through the motions" for the first month, guarantee first your survival and then slowly, gradually, incrementally, increase the intensity. The key to survival is to establish consistency before increasing intensity.

Moderating/modulating the workouts might include additional days off, less load, more rest between sets, fewer reps, fewer sets, etc.

Your adjustment for today, Janet, was PERFECT. Do not feel like a whimp. You are in very good company.

Not to pick on your bodybuilder trainer, though that's certainly fun, but only bodybuilders are careful not to work the entire body in a workout. This is one of the key distinctions between atheltes and bodybuilders.

If you look at the workouts you'll see that we endeavor not to repeat functions in a cycle, that is, our concern is function not form. But, I know you've caught on to that.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:48 PM   #5
Coach

Profile:

Scott,

Robb, as usual, has it right.

You may be comforted to know that we don't let athletes anywhere near the WOD at full effort for a full 5 days before an event/competion of consequece.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:02 AM   #6
Scott Parker

Profile:
coach/robb-

thanks a lot!

scott
Old 02-22-2003, 01:32 AM   #7
Ross Burke

Profile:
Janet, as a 'recovering' bodybuilder:lol: I can relate to your feeling like a 'whimp' for backing off on Wednesday. But that 'feeling like a whimp' phenomenon is exclusive to the bodybuilding world, and it's psychological, not physiological.

You're not a 'whimp,' you're one of the growing ranks of 'recovering bodybuilders' now becoming athletes.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:16 PM   #8
Janet Fisher

Profile:

That's pretty funny.

My mission is now to gradually convert my bodybuilding trainer to a Crossfit athlete. It'll probably take 10 years. Maybe he'll become a hybrid, and that'll do.