CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-30-2003, 06:16 AM   #1
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Coach:

In terms of bodyweight percentages, what do you consider good weights (1RM) in the deadlift, bench-press, squat, snatch, and clean & jerk? Do you think 200% BW is a good squat, very good squat? I am sure a lot of people here would like to know. Any thoughts?
Old 01-30-2003, 04:17 PM   #2
Dan John

Profile:

If I can jump in, there are some 'standard' standards over the course of the strength sports.

First,
1. Clean and Jerk Bodyweight
2. Snatch Bodyweight
3. Military Press Bodyweight

Second, you would start down the road to excellence:
As you said, double bodyweight squat.
150% Bodyweight Clean and Jerk
Triple Bodyweight Deadlift

For balance purposes, we were told at the USOC Elite Discus Camp that your clean, front squat and bench press should all be "around" the same amount. So, figure 150% in the Bench, too.

One big key...these are charts for 350 pound guys!!! If you are a crossfitter, as I understanding from discussions with some of you...these marks are well within the range of the group.

If you weigh 150, snatching 150 is doable in months, Clean and Jerking 225 within a year, reasonably. Weighing 150 and deadlifting 450 is impressive...and very possible. Of course, if you weigh 220, that becomes a 330 Clean and Jerk. It took me two years to do that in my teens.

Marks like this are obviously widely variable, but it is fun to have to have standards. Years ago, I got bashed on a forum for stating that an elite discus thrower in his late teens should bench and clean and jerk in the low 300's. Some guy got off on a rant about being in his twenties and only cleaning just over 200.

He missed the point. I said "Elite Discus Throwers," not every guy who trains in his gym hard. So, when we talk these numbers, somebody will pull out the Bulgarian Lifters and talk about 300% Clean and Jerks. Well...there are some differences here!

As I understand a lot of you guys doing crossfit training, these percents are actually pretty good. You would do well in local and regional lifting meets with these numbers...but you might not get the Gold in Athens.

But, you might kick the Gold Medalist butt in a five kilo run!!!
Old 01-30-2003, 05:55 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Dan: You can *always* jump in. I look forward to your posts (and Robert Wolf's . . . but you don't post as often as he does).

I've always seen/heard pretty much the same percentages of bodyweight that you describe offered up as goals.

But it's a little bit context-specific. I don't think the Powerlifting crowd will give you a huge amount of respect until you hit double bodyweight in the bench.

For myself, boy, it was depressing to read your "road to excellence" goals.

Let's see, bodyweight 160 . . .

2x bodyweight in squat . . . OK, I can conceive of someday doing that. Not this year, necessarily, but someday.

3x bodyweight in deadlift . . . let's see that's . . . uhh . . . 3 x 6 is 18, carry the one, 3 x 1 plus the one carried over is . . . uh oh. That one (480) is not likely this year . . . maybe not this decade, either.

Clean and Jerk 150% BW equals 240 . . . hmmm . . . another uh oh, but I can maybe imagine this. I can do bodyweight now. Maybe this time next year. Do I have to do them for reps? Or is just one good enough?

I gave myself these goals this year (and no, they're NOT New Year's Resolutions).

By "Summer" (let's say July 4th):

(1) Be doing the WOD 3 days out of 4 (oops, it's only published 3 days out of 4, so that means I gotta do it every day) . . . so let's say 2 days out of every 3- or 4-day cycle. Regrettably, I'll probably still have to work a 60-hour week.

(2) Overhead squat bodyweight with good form for 5 reps. I can get 115 now for 5 reps now, but it's not very pretty (heels come up, etc.)

(3) Be able to do 100 consecutive squat thrusts (with a pushup in each one) in under 3 minutes. (I can do 40 now, but then I run out of gas).

(4) Be able to do at least 3 consecutive barbell rollouts from my toes. (I can go out now, but can't come back in, even after the first one. There's a 72-year old guy at the Y where I train who can do them with only 1 finger on each hand over the bar . . . for reps!)

Just curious . . . what goals/benchmarks do other CrossFitters hold out for themselves?

David Wood
Old 01-30-2003, 09:50 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
David-
I personally want to get the 15 reps on OHS so i am ready to throw a discus with Dan John (never thrown one yet...but I need to be ready) I am currently about five lbs shy of one rep w/bw.

I want ten consecutive muslceups by the end of the summer...Im at five currently.

the 100yd walk on hands Coach mentioned in the CFJ seems like a good one to do especially for capoeira.
those seem like some goodies to me!
Old 01-31-2003, 08:42 AM   #5
Dan John

Profile:

Most post should say "these are NOT standards for 350 pound guys." Sorry, English is merely my first language.

Oh, I agree these are a challenge. No question about that!!! I always tell my throwers: "If it were easy, everybody would do it...like those 5K runs."

I'm not ripping on "fun runs," but back in the day, we had 10,000 people somewhere in the Bay Area getting T-Shirts and "New Personal Records" by "jogging" from refueling site to refueling site, engourging on sugar drinks, then wondering why they were always sick.

It is not, I repeat, not, easy to snatch bodyweight. It is a worthy effort.

Robert, one day, I will arrive at your house and drag you out to throw...only after the 15 x bodyweight OS!
Old 01-31-2003, 10:58 AM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Deal!
Old 02-02-2003, 07:19 AM   #7
nut job

Profile:  
bodyweight 145 pounds
--------- best current
deadlift 530 - 405
squat- 495 - 365
bench 330 - 295