CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-07-2005, 08:36 PM   #1
Jack Mohr

Profile:  
I'm brand new here. The week before 9/11/01, I weighed 414 lbs and had all the bad habits of the 'baby boomer' generation. I was a drunkard, a doper, a fat slob, and a person who had excuses for everything that happened to him, none of which was my fault. That all changed when I had a TIA, a transient ischemic attack. A mini-stroke by a more common name. Turns out I have a kink in my carotid artery and it kinked up tight for a minute and caused me to suffer slurred speech and some memory loss. Doctors saw me at the hospital and didn't diagnose it. Sent me home. My boss sent me back when he heard me try to sell a dishwasher that I sold hundreds of times before, but had to stumble through. Glad he did. There was a young intern at the hospital emergency room who looked like Doogie Howser and ordered a battery of tests. He found the artery problem. He made me stay in the hospital. It was there I was laying on the morning of 9/11 watching the WTC burn and moaning because the doctor on rounds was late releasing me to go home. I lay there watching and the nurse came in and watched with me. I asked her and the chaplain who stopped in why I ,who had never taken care of myself was spared and all these people were dying. The Chaplain said I must have something else left to do. Two weeks later, after I got clearance from my doctor, I found a gym. Joined it, met a nutritionist the second night there, got set up on a food plan and went to work. I'm down 180lbs since then. I'm still losing, though not as fast as I was. I've put the other demons behind me now. I'm clean and sober 3 1/2 years. I won't accept congratulations yet. I'm here because excellence is my only option and I've heard great things about crossfit.com. I will be the best I can be. I've been at the other end.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:08 PM   #2
Ronnie Boose

Profile:
jack,

Welcome aboard. I think you will find this to be one of the most supportive communities around. Since you're not accepting congratulations, I will wish you continued success in your efforts.

Ronnie

SUA SPONTE
Old 05-08-2005, 02:04 AM   #3
Michael Pearce

Profile:
Welcome. Drive on and good luck.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:37 AM   #4
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
No congrats yet, how about good work Jack.
Some of the workouts may surprise you, just make sure to scale them to your abilities.
Steveo
Old 05-08-2005, 04:25 AM   #5
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Welcome Jack!

Keep up the good work.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:05 AM   #6
Jack Mohr

Profile:  
Will do- Thanks for the welcomes. Training now for bike race with brother. He's laying for me but I know it and will be ready for him at the end of this month. Need to build explosive power.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:35 PM   #7
Michael Keller

Profile:
Welcome aboard, Jack! I agree with the Chaplain, there must me more left for you to do. Keep on pluggin' and become the best man that you can be, and then tell others how you got there.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:40 PM   #8
Brian Gibson

Profile:
Welcome aboard! Keep up the good work.