CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-30-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
Jorge Javier Wilsterman

Profile:
I recently discovered CF and have been working on properly learning some fundamentals (deadlift, cleans, squats, etc) to be able to do any WOD.

One question was designing a WOD using a hill nearby.
It took me 1:10 to run it fast from top to bottom.
What would be a good WOD using it?
Perhaps 5x for time running up to the top AND down to the bottom?
Or maybe as many times as possible within 20 minutes, but walking form top to bottom?

Any ideas?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
Mike Groth

Profile:
Tabata Hill Runs?

Just an idea but I bet It would kick your butt. Use the decent down the hill as the "rest" period of the tabata. Or do 1 up/down rest 30 seconds, rinse and repeat for 8 rounds? Have fun with it and see what you can come up with.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:
You could always do a run to the top, stop and do an exercise for a given set of reps, run down, do a different exercise, run back and do a reduced set. For example, say you want to do pushups and situps and runs:

Run up
Pushups x 50
Run down
Situps x 50
Run up
Pushups x 40
Run down
Situp x 40
etc. down to Pushups x 10 and Situps x 10.

That'll be 5 full runs and 50-40-30-20-10 of pushups and situps. Or you can do the pushups, then run up and then down, do situps, run up and then down, etc. to make it 10 runs...or walks if that's too much running.

You could farmer's walk it with weights, doing High Pulls at the bottom between walking up. Or run it with dumbbells or kettlebells and do swings at the bottom. If you've got a sandbag, try cleaning it, fireman's carry it over one shoulder and run up and down. 5 times left side carry, 5 times right. Or shoulder it squat style, run up and down and squat the bag at the bottom. Even with a fairly light bag that'll add up to lots of work.

That's just some thoughts off the top of my head. I'll warm you - I have asthma so any of my suggested routines might actually incapacitate me...so I have no idea if they're crazy hard or reasonable or anywhere in between for a non-asthmatic. But they seem like possible ways to take advantage of that hill. And I know I could farmer's walk up and down a hill as a workout, depending on the weight. That's a good workout that's really hard on your grip!

Hope that helps.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Five rounds for time:
- run up hill
- 15 burpees
- run down hill
- 20 double unders (leave a jump rope at the bottom of the hill)

If you just do the first things that come to mind fitting the CrossFit criteria, odds are, it's going to be hard no matter what. :-)
Old 07-30-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Here's one we did over the weekend:

http://fitness.meetup.com/257/photos/

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 07-30-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Do a running specific workout, basically like they do with the 100m sprints.

Eight repetitions of sprinting up the hill, with X minutes rest inbetween reps, time each run, score is the slowest time. Walking down counts as rest time.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:12 AM   #7
Bryan Walker

Profile:
Sounds kinda like the situation I'm in when I visit my grandparents. I don't really have any access to exercise equipment there, but they live at the top of a fairly long and steep hill (close to a .25 mile with roughly a 10% grade for most of it.) When I'm there I'll jog to the bottom (resting phase), then sprint to the top and do 20x pushups, 20x squats, 20x situps (full unassisted situps)...rinse and repeat 5x. I'll vary the actual exercises I do at the top and mix in burpees, dive bombers, etc. If you have weights your possibilities are endless.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
Ron Fielder

Profile:
Sprint uphill, 50 pushups, jog downhill, 50 squats, Carry 95lb barbell overhead back to the top of hill, do 30 burpees, carry 95lb barbell barbell overhead back down hill, 30 double unders, Finish with 1 mile run. For time of course!

Enjoy!!
Old 07-31-2007, 12:07 PM   #9
Bobby Nauss

Profile:
We have a ramp that crosses underneath part of the riverwalk here in Jacksonville that is 1 mile from the Police station. So we run the mile down there, then sprint the ramp 5 times (rest is the jog down). Then we run the mile back. It's pretty horrible and terrible, and we do it every Tuesday. And today is Tuesday, now I'm in a bad mood.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
John Seiler

Profile:
Lots of good ideas on here. How you use them depends on your goals. I recently added sprinting to my program. At this point, my goal is to become better at sprinting. Consequently, on track days, my concentration is just on the running. When I get better at the sprints, I'll start mixing things in with them. If I were already really good at sprints, I wouldn't worry so much about them and would add them into WODs right away.

This is the same as any other activity. Example: If I wanted to get really good at Olympic lifting, mixing light cleans in with a WOD just wouldn't get me there. I would need to spend time just on the Oly lifts.

BTW, this is not to be construed that you couldn't add sprints, Oly's, etc. into a WOD regardless of proficiency. It's just to say adding them into WOD's won't go as far to improving your performance on the individual event/movement.