CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 12-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #61
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Re: Clean and Squat Clean - I've got a long way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
I'd definitely think about it for Oly. Those foot drills that I described a few posts ago can help with that.
Thanks Allen,

Here's what I have in my journal:
1. Jumping your feet from the pulling to the receiving position is suppose to be really fast w/ as little vertical elevation as possible - Think Shuffle fast - when elbows bend feet shuffle.
2. use chalk or tape on the outsides of your feet in the 2 positions and drill the heck out of it.

I've got a snatch session tomorrow that I'm going to do this drill for as well. I think if I can program myself to do one I can do them both.

I really appreciate all the help.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-22-2007, 10:22 AM   #62
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Okay, this was me trying to do some Tall cleans after doing my regular snatch workout. This was just to work on drills, form, etc. How am I doing?

The weights are 95, 135, 185, and 205. I'm not getting hung up on weights, I'm really trying hard to pull myself under the bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCbJDiYGppU

My own observations are - could get hips into it more (further forward) and still not shuffling my feet enough.

I'm all ears.

all the best,
Arden
Old 12-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #63
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

You're pulling the bar up to your armpits, which is really not doing a tall clean at all. Total bar elevation should be about 6" at most, you're getting at least 18" AND you're still doing the hip swing into the bar thing. Try these with just the empty bar to start.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:11 PM   #64
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
You're pulling the bar up to your armpits, which is really not doing a tall clean at all. Total bar elevation should be about 6" at most, you're getting at least 18" AND you're still doing the hip swing into the bar thing. Try these with just the empty bar to start.
Thanks Lincoln. I thought as much. i'll keep trying.

Hip swing into the bar - causing it to move forward?

I've got a long way to go. Thanks so much.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #65
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Really just work on imagining the bar as a stationary object, and you dropping under it without moving it.

I wonder if you could actually use an immobile bar for this... in a power rack or something...
Old 12-22-2007, 06:59 PM   #66
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

Coach B has said that in some extreme cases, he has a lifter get themselves to triple extension (he uses on their toes, with respect to previous poster about staying flat-footed for the jump: in my opinion, you jump flat-footed through the heels but may wind up on your toes a bit from momentum) - and then set two sets of pins on a power rack so that you can't pull the bar up any more. Then you just prform "tall cleans" with the bar pinned and THAT will certainly force you to "pull under" the bar. You can't curl it or move it up - it's pinned at the height of your triple extension. If you don't have 2 sets of pins, you can find your triple extension height with an empty bar, set the pins at that height, and then pile on the weight (like your max DL) so that you CAN'T lift it any higher - then do the same. You'll have to pull under and that will help teach you the body mechanics, presuming that you maintain the good form and foot positioning from the jump and land.

Last edited by Dale F. Saran; 12-22-2007 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-22-2007, 07:04 PM   #67
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Dale and Brandon,
YOu guys have given me something to do tomorrow morning. I'm going to woody band a bar to power cage and jump under until I'm tired of it.

I do have to admit something, I'm getting much more comfortable in the bottom position. I'm feeling more stable than before. I was squatting on Friday with 315 and I was actually pausing several seconds at the bottom. That was refreshing. I've never felt like that before.

One step at a time.

Thanks to everyone.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-22-2007, 09:42 PM   #68
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

Hey, Big man, you can check a new thread in about 5 minutes with links to me doing CnJ triples from about a month ago. Feel free to take what you can from it (or offer critiques). :-)

Glad to help in some small way.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #69
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Did an hour and half walk with the misses and the inlaws to warm up for the weights. Before going on the walk, I rolled and stretched.

When we got back to the barn, started out with the Corrigon Warm up. Then into some power cleans. I didn't have much go, so I ended up not doing the push presses and clean pulls. i'll do those tomorrow a.m.

The misses did a ton of event training about 200 strokes on the single and probably 100 hits on the underhand.

But I did do a ton of drills today. After ever set, I tried to do tall cleans off my York blocks.

Did 95x3/95x3, 115x3/95x3, 135x3/115x3, 185x3/135x3, 225x3/155x3, 255x1/175x3, 275x1/175x3, 295x1/175x3, 255x1/175x3, 225x3hpc/175x2

Here's the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxbtGwQGtFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQymmpSf5K4

After that I did some front squats 135x2, 225x2, 275x2, 325x2, 275x2, 225x2

I was done after that. So got a shake, some stretching and called it a night.

My observations are I'm still not getting the transition between the second and third pull good enough. I think doing my drills like this might help me if I keep it up. I'm learning. I also think I need to get more extension on my 2nd pull. I think I could also keep my hips a little lower with the first pull (my hips might be getting in front of my shoulders).

I'm all ears.

Do you guys like the drills? It's better than the band stuff I tried a few days ago even though I'm still pulling to high as Lincoln noted before.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-26-2007, 10:16 PM   #70
Charles Garrett

Profile:

No, actually you need to start with your hips a little higher. Your hips are too low at the beginning for your build. It appears to force you to move the bar around your knees instead of moving your knees out of the way of the bar. The latter stretches your hamstring and helps you to get your knees under the bar faster.

Critique no. 2; you are not reaching full extension. Try this drill: start with an empty bar at mid thigh and just extend to full extension. Don't go full speed on this part. You should move slow and deliberate and hold the top position for a second. Don't worry about go up on you toes for this part either. It if you are extending up and slightly back, as you should, going up on your toes will just cause you to fall back. It will be easy to add ankle extension later. Do 2-3 reps then power clean it from mid thigh. repeat the whole thing up to 3 times, maybe only once as weight is increased. once you have the movement down, then you can start with the bar just above, the knee or mix and match starting points (ie. full extension from mid thigh + power clean from mid thigh + full extension from above knee + power clean from above knee or full extension from mid thigh + full extension from above knee + power clean from mid thigh + power clean from above knee)

Critique no. 3; stay tight and keep you chest up.

Oh and one more. Try filming from either slightly in front or slightly behind to better see you relationship to the bar.