CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-08-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
George Cazenavette

Profile:
A few days after doing 10 deadlift, 10 clean and 10 bench and working down to 1 rep, I have had quite the pain in my right shoulder. I have been taking Ibuprofen and icing it at night with only little improvement. This has been the case for 2 - 3 weeks now.

My question: Is this more than likely tendinitus as a result over doing this routine? I was quite smoked after doing it. Or could it be something more serious.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
It's hard to say for sure. I'd see a doctor since 2-3 weeks probably means tendonitis (or a tear). I gave myself rotator cuff tendonitis with the cleans and push presses. There's very little room in your shoulder area and inflammation can occur pretty easily.

Ibuprofen is good, so is ice but you probably need some professional advice. You could get a cortisone shot from a competent orthopedist. Have you backed off any overhead work and any bench presses? By the way, I didn't find deadlifts to be a problem - presumably because your shoulder is in an unflexed position.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:03 AM   #3
Thomas Madison

Profile:  
Same thing happened to me with the 3 bars of death. I have found that warming up with some arm circles (just like in elementary school gym class) and few rotator cuff exercises before you start prevents the problem.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
George Cazenavette

Profile:
I have stopped the overhead work and bench. Basically I am running and doing pull ups which do not really cause a problem. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Yeah, sounds like its probably tendonitis, if its not getting better though best to get it checked out to make sure. Rest and lots of Ice until then.

(Message edited by childresspta on August 09, 2006)
Old 08-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
Elliot Royce

Profile:
By the way, I've had this rotator cuff tendonitis for something like two months and it's really held me back on my workouts. I had a cortisone shot which helped a bit but didn't clear it up. On this Tuesday, I went to my PT who's been working on my hips and he did very strong soft tissue work for about 20 minutes (I was shouting in pain as he worked out a whole bunch of trigger points around the shoulder area). My shoulder feels much better, much freer and less pain. It's the single best treatment I've had for it. The more I read about trigger points, the more important they seem to be. And we've got them all over us, particularly as we age.