CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-20-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Ok, so it looks like snatch is out for a LONG time. As you may recall, I dislocated my shoulder in September. Well, I did today's WOD and experienced some shoulder instability. I only did the OH squats with 45lbs, but kept the snatch at 75 (I've snatch 95 with no issues). I made it through 3 rounds with no problems, but rep 1 of set 4 must've been too much....shoulder called uncle and partially popped back out which sent 75lbs straight down from about 6' (made quite a racket). I walked away (with lots of "are you oks?") and moved it around and felt it slide back in - called it a day at that point. I've got full ROM, but it's a bit tender right now (I think I've got a touch of swelling that's making it tight). No load bearing activities for a few days and time to work back into it.

Oh well, I guess that'll give me time to get a squat stand and pullup bar built, hang the rings, and get some weights for the new garage gym....I'll have pictures next week.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
You have got to watch that shoulder Scott. I would seriously consider giving up the snatch. Everytime you dislocate that thing the more likely that it will happen again.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Yeah, I know...snatch is out for a long time. I will probably sub for cleans for at least a year. On the other hand, I'm not opposed to surgery, as I told the ortho after the first dislocation. I'd rather get it repaired rather than give up what I enjoy.

(Message edited by sk12879 on July 24, 2006)
Old 07-25-2006, 02:54 AM   #4
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Scott,

Recently over at T-nation there has been a series of articles about shoulder Savers. While some stuff in there is kind of on the "eh" side some of the information seems to be pretty useful and I have started to apply some of the stuff to my own training (working through impingement issues).
Article part I
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1053531
Article Part II
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1055409
Article Part III
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1153915
Old 07-25-2006, 06:22 AM   #5
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Surgery is one option, but what kind of outlook did the doc give? How much is he going to be able to repair it, that will allow you to do OH work like snatchs?
Old 07-25-2006, 03:39 PM   #6
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Allen, thanks for the articles...I'll check them out.

Jeremiah, we didn't discuss how much it could be repaired because he said "It's your first time and you're not a competitive athlete, so I'm not going to do surgery. Do it again and you buy yourself an operation." I'm going the "don't do it again" route and snatches aren't one of those things I can't give up....something like skiing is one of those things, so if it was a choice of surgery so I could ski or no surgery, no skiing, I'd have surgery.

So no snatches for a long time....if anyone sees me post anything without a sub of cleans for snatches on a WOD, drive to my house and smack my hand.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Sorry to hear about your shoulder Scott. Hope you have a quick recovery, and be sure to stay careful!
Old 07-26-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Well, I think I'm doing alright...I was able to pull out a sub-6 Fran last night with no pain at all. Had to shake off the cobwebs of 2 weeks of not much activity.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:32 AM   #9
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Scott,
This may make you feel better. I had a really bad dislocation back in 1985, was told I had to have surgery and would never be able to bench heavy or lift overhead. I did not have the money, but had a friend who was a PT. Although he did not endorse the no surgery route he gave me a laundry list of rehab, which I followed. He had me pay special attention to getting really strong in both internal and external rotation with my arms both at my side and straight to the side. My shoulder was so bad initially that if I stood relaxed the weight of my arm would cause the shoulder to subluxate (partially dislocate down). The healing/remodeling process was long, but for what it is worth I could do heavy slow lifts within months but had to pay exquisite attention to shoulder activation. Slow overhead lifting actually felt the most stable, maybe cause of the "active shoulder" position. I had pain for a few years but with good strength/function.

I am much older now, I have to actually think about which shoulder was injured because they both feel "pretty good" I can jerk 225 at 185BW, walk on my hands, my SN is crappy because I have not spent enough time learning it, but I can OHS 185 for 9 reps. I know of people who have had shoulder injuries with pain, babied the shoulder and a few years later it was frozen up and they had to have surgery, and a long very painful rehab. I just skipped the surgery and went with the long painful rehab.