CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 04-01-2005, 10:24 PM   #1
Scott Kustes

Profile:
84 pictures of my first round loss in the 2005 Bengal Bouts: http://web.recsports.nd.edu/bengals/photos_2005/?dir=%2F1-Preliminaries+%2803-01 -05%29%2FKlienVsKustes&offset=0

I'm the one in the light colored (gold if it was in color) shorts. I'll have video of that match soon and will post that too.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Awesome pics, Scott! First round...TKO? No knockdown in the pics. You'll get 'em next time.

Can't wait for the video. Good job!
Old 04-03-2005, 11:02 AM   #3
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Oh, sorry. Our fight went all 3 rounds. I mean first round loss as in I lost in the first round of the tournament.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
Laura Rucker

Profile:
aha! I thought it looked like a decision and had originally posted that way, but I edited to ask since I wasn't sure. :-)

Definitely a good job since you went three rounds! I've been watching some fighting lately so I'll be watching for your video.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:24 AM   #5
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Well, if it's any consolation, you look like you're in way better shape than the other guy!
Next time, Klein is going down!
Old 04-04-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
Brian Gibson

Profile:
Great effort, Scott. Keep on, keepin' on. :happy:
Old 04-05-2005, 08:37 AM   #7
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Nice pics Scott!
Completed all three rounds for a TKO?
How did the judges score it?
Were you gassed, or could you go another couple rounds?
That's thing about judges and time limits. I never consider myself knocked out until I see the little white flashes and my knees decide to walk out from under me. :crazy:
And this was your first competitive fight, right?
Probably just stage fright. It's hard to even consider that a loss.
Next time you'll own the ring.:wink:
Old 04-05-2005, 09:59 AM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Donald, 3 rounds to a split decision, so it was close. A few guys told me I got robbed, but they were my fans, so that's taken with a grain of salt. I was totally gassed and pretty much died in the 3rd round....first fight, lots of nerves. I know I was in better shape than he, but I think the first fight nerves wore me down...I had them for about 8 hours before the fight. Anywho, that's probably my only competitive boxing match...fiancee wasn't too excited about it.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:36 PM   #9
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Ask Don about his impromptu fighting and full kip experience! Maybe he could train you for the next bout, if there is one!
Old 04-06-2005, 05:38 AM   #10
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Oh no Ron. A fighter I'm not. I just pretend. Last time I actually competed was when I was about twelve years old, fully padded with safety kicks/punches etc. Really hard to get hurt that way.
That fight you're talking about got broke up by my friends about eight seconds into it. Just when I got him down and saw the money shot, a hand came out of nowhere and grabbed my fist. Coulda turned out really bad. When my buddy grabbed my fist, I didn't realize it was him, and I reached back and pulled him down on top of the other guy, injuring my buddy's back. My other buddy put me in a full nelson, and managed to calm me down.
The guy I was fighting turned out to be the town bully, just got out of prison (druggie, thief etc), and nobody likes him. Even one of his own cousins told me, "if you get into it with him again, throw in a couple shots for me". In the local vernacular, he's a "real sh#&bum".
I'm just glad my buddies stopped it. I was mad enough to seriously rearrange his furniture, and I'd probably be seeking legal council.
Crossfit, tequila and a temper are indeed a dangerous combo. Nothing worse than a Crossfit, drunk redneck.
That whole experience seemed to change people's perspective of me. I used to be Mr. Happy-go-lucky. Now some people are actually scared of me, and that was never my intention. Others seem to like me more because of it. Very small town. When I fart the whole town hears about it.
And I STILL can't repeat that damn kip up! Repeated attempts with it have been real hard on my tailbone.