CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 04-03-2005, 10:54 PM   #1
Laura Rucker

Profile:
I'm a little disappointed in my time today, I had hoped for a sub 30 minute run, but had to settle for (or make that struggle for) 31:34.

The course is fairly flat, with a slight incline\decline pattern which was just enough to make a difference in effort required.

The first mile was practically torture but I completed it in 9:40. The second mile was easier to run but seemed to stretch on for far too long: Just under 10 minutes. By the time I started mile three, I was sucking wind, but kept going - walking for maybe 200M before getting enough breath back to start what seemed like a sluggish jog. At F minus 400 meters a by stander egged us on.

That last mile took me almost 12 minutes or maybe just over. I haven't really done the math.

Official Results
1062/1561 total in Women 39 and Under (68%)
993/1430 in gender (69%)
205/302 in age division (68%)
pace 10:10
gun time 31:49
chip time (start to finish) 31:34

Still a lot of work to do in this area.....

Old 04-03-2005, 11:29 PM   #2
Laura Rucker

Profile:
BTW Top finisher in this race (Women 39 and Under) came in at 22:00.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:46 PM   #3
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Luara, don't be too hard on yourself - I for one would struggle to even complete a 5K race! Looking at your results, your performance was more than respectable. Well done for "putting it out there" - keep training hard and prepare to smash that time next time around !
Old 04-04-2005, 02:30 AM   #4
David Easton

Profile:
Well done Laura
Old 04-04-2005, 05:08 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Laura excellent job! What would your time have been 1 year ago, how about 6 months, 3 months? What do you think it will be a year from now? This thing is a process that ends with death at a ripe and active old old age, not a destination. Enjoy the process and celebrate your victories, your a studette!
Old 04-04-2005, 07:25 AM   #6
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Thanks, guys.

Last time I ran this was 2 years ago and I finished a minute or two faster this time. With no focus training and no regular distance running. I was just hoping for a touch better time. But you are all right and I definitely will be doing better in the next race and focusing on improving each time.

With Crossfit I can't expect to do anything but get better and better! Next year I'll be in the 40 and over "Masters" Category!!!
Old 04-04-2005, 09:38 AM   #7
Rene Renteria

Profile:
As a casual runner (I've never been much more than that), one thing that helped me for speed was to practice running faster. I know that sounds obvious, but what I mean is basically fartleks and speedwork, as I found out later.

I'm not that organized about my running training. Something I used to do was to take once in a while (say, 1x per week) whatever distance I was going to run, cut it by two-thirds, and run that distance at some hard pace that I was someday hoping to achieve for the longer distance. For example, if I typically ran 3 miles at an 8:00 pace, I would say, "OK, today only 1 mile, but I'm going to go hard and fast." And I would try to run it at a 7:00 pace. I did these on a treadmill to enforce the pace, but a track and stopwatch would work, of course!

Anyway, I found that this helped my legs, lungs, and body learn what a faster leg turnover felt like and to get used to it. My "base speed" of what felt comfortable got faster and my old "normal" pace now felt slow.

Something else that I used to do on an indoor track that was 10 laps per mile (ugh!), was to increase my speed a little bit on every lap and then decrease on every lap for some number of laps in a pyramid fashion. This helped me find where it was that I would switch from an aerobic-feeling run to an anaerobic-feeling sprint.

Even better would be to look up some speedwork on the Web. Lots of info out there. I guess the point is that an increase in speed can be trained and that it's not simply a matter of running the same distance that you normally do while trying to do it faster.

You may know all this already. Congrats on the race! Getting to the starting line is the most admirable part.
Rene'
Old 04-04-2005, 09:58 AM   #8
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Thanks, René! I didn't work speed at all before the race, so next time I'll work some of those strategies and see how I do.

My lungs seemed to be the limiting factor as my legs didn't feel tired at the finish line, I was just sucking air.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:19 AM   #9
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Laura,
Great effort! I still haven't gotten up the courage to get back into 5K running. My last one was about 15 years ago; before marriage, kids, law school, and weight gain. Hopefully, I'll get back into it soon and live to tell the tale!
Keep up the good work!
Old 04-04-2005, 12:45 PM   #10
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Ron....I'm am just wracking my brain trying to figure out where all this weight you keep referencing is being kept? In a bag in the trunk of your car? You look fine!

Heh. I'll have to sign you up in proxy for the 10K mud run. Lots of fun and shenanigans!