CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 09-16-2004, 05:33 AM   #1
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
Walk 100 feet on your hands by '05 and win a cool CrossFit Champion t-shirt!

Old 09-20-2004, 03:52 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
I wanted to remind everyone that there is only a little time left to sign up for this challenge. The comments section referred to in Lauren's post will be closed to further additions soon, so if you're interested in signing up, now is the time to do it.

Here's a rough draft list of the people who have accepted the challenge thus far:

Michael Pearce
Dave K
Matt Gagliardi
Chris Forbis
Eric
Kevin Anderson
Bob Cornute
Dan Murphy
Mike Yukish
Jason Carey
Ron Nelson
Kelly Moore
Ryan Atkins
Jeff Martin
Brendan Sonnich
Graham Hayes
Mike Johns
Rob
Mike Minium
Ambient
Eric Reebs(?)
Mike Powell
Murph
George Koupatadze
Sean Peters
Phil
Kevin Anderson
Dustin Rogers
Larry Lindenman
Beth Moscov
Ross Hunt
Cesar Bravoz(?)
Connor Martin
Jeremy Jones
Jonathon Benderschi
Jonathon Edward
Matt Albanese
Luke Avitch
Mark Arthur
Muni
Kevin Monte
Rick Worthington
Matt McManmon
Pat Janes
Rajesh
Gary Yetteer
Fish
Robb Wolf
Court Wing
Jason
James Climer
Dave Werner
Jon Pappas
Ben Kaminksi
Brian McCarrie
Nick Holley
David Wood
Tanner Kolb
Tim Murphy
Scott Kustes
David Heyer
Taha Mohamedali
Kevin Roddy
Shane Werner

Have I missed anyone? Mispelled anyone's name? Please contact me via e-mail (ryatkins@netzero.net) if that's the case and I'll update the list. Also, some of you have not provided a full name. I like consistency in my lists, so if you haven't provided a full name, please do so (again, via e-mail). If you don't want to provide a full name and have good reason (i.e. you're a military commando, LEO, etc.) simply e-mail me the reason you wish to remain anonymous.

Thanks for your participation and cooperation. Good luck, everyone.

Ryan
Old 09-21-2004, 07:43 AM   #3
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi all,

For those of you who have e-mailed me and/or signed up in the comments section I have and will continue to update the above list on a periodic basis. Thanks for the additional particiapation/name clarification so far.

Also, I was considering how to go about charting people's progress towards the 100 feet. I was thinking of a chart with peoples' names down the left hand side and distances across the top. The boxes where the two intersect would be filled with the date that that particular person achieved the appropriate distance. For distances I was planning on using 25', 50' and increments of 10' from there until 100'. I'd be happy to do the work for the chart, but I want to make sure there's actually an interest in it before undertaking the project, so please let me know if it's something you want to see.

Lastly, if you haven't signed up yet, what are you waiting for? Today's the last day. C'mon, all the cool kids are doing it!:happy:

Ryan
Old 09-21-2004, 07:48 AM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Ummm, if we can do this already? :-)
Old 09-21-2004, 08:28 AM   #5
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I'm breaking my skills into
1. hold a handstand unsupported by wall (for some minimum number of seconds)
2. Press to handstand as per CFJ article
3. Start walking

So you might want to add a few check boxes for the more handstand-challenged, who are still in the learning to crawl stage of things.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:51 AM   #6
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Weren't people talking about going up and down stairs if the 100' wasn't challenging enough for them (not that I can do it yet).
Old 09-21-2004, 09:21 AM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Roger- I'm not gymnast but I have already done a basket ball court. Sooo....I am going for the 100yds and 5 steps up some stairs. I had a friend in highschool who could climb ladders on his hands....
Old 09-21-2004, 09:34 AM   #8
Jason Carey

Profile:
ryan/lauren/anyone else:
what's the plan for demonstrating results?
is this an "honor system" challenge, or should we send in a video clip, or... ?
Old 09-21-2004, 10:20 AM   #9
Roger Harrell

Profile:
A ladder? Wow, I'm going to have to try that. Did he go chest to ladder? I can't see doing it back to ladder.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:38 AM   #10
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hey gang,

Thanks for the feedback so far. The fact that I got two responses on both ends of the spectrum (Roger's and Mike's), to me, suggests we're on the right track here.

Mike - I appreciate your input. However, unless a whole slew of people chime in, I'm not inclined at this point to include the extra early benchmarks. I'm taking this approach for several reasons:

1. In the pull-up challenge we made no accomodations for those who were still using lat pull-downs and/or gravitrons to do pull-ups. The challenge focused on how many pull-ups one could do, not IF they could do pull-ups.

2. The past couple of posts reminded me of Coach's thoughts that he expressed in the CFJ covering the first Crossfit Fitness Test. He related how it was difficult to design tests that could accomodate everyone. In the end, he decided to lean toward the more demanding end of the scale stating something along the lines of how Crossfit is ultimately about elite fitness, not fitness for everyone. I'm guessing that's why it was decided to make the challenge 100' as opposed to the 25' many were suggesting in the beginning (coincidentally, it's also why I chose 25' as the first benchmark for the chart).

3. Simplicity. Including the names, the proposed chart has only 8 columns. I don't know about you, but I HATE having to use the horizontal scroll bar when reading posts on the message board.

I sympathize with your situation, Mike and will probably be in your shoes for the next challenge (where, given the gymnastic nature of the first two challenges, I'm guessing/hoping we'll choose something like bodyweight C&Js for reps or something similar).

Roger - you're obviously in a class all your own when it comes to handwalking. Outside of possibly donating a video clip to motivate the rest of us, perhaps you should prepare for the next challenge (have you been practicing your C&J?).

Jeremy - You're right. Robb and I both have decided to add the handwalking up the stairs in addition to the 100'. Since only two people out of 60+ showed interest in it, I chose not to put it on the chart (especially since I'm one of the people - seemed self serving). Robb, I hope it's not a big deal.

Jason - Although I can't speak for the Glassmans, I'm assuming we're going to use the honor system for the challenge (seemed to work for the pull-ups). I think it would be neat to have a single video of someone like Roger showing us how it's done. I also think it would be intereseting to compare styles, but 60+ videos would chew up a lot of hard drive space/bandwidth.

Hope I'm not being overly close-minded here,

Ryan