CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-03-2005, 04:28 AM   #1
Stuart Proudlock

Profile:

Hi All,

I have my first fight coming up in 10 weeks - it will be a Lei Tai match (stand up with throwing). Have a fair level of fitness - I do 2-3 WOD's a week along with my MA training (3x a week) but want to develop a more specific program for the run up to the fight.

Has anyone any recommendations or links for a good way to approach it to have peak fitness for the fight?

I am sparring twice a week and use sand bags for my weight training. Cardio could do with improvement but I plan on hitting the burpees.

Any other advice/comments specific exercises ( planned to focus on Squats + DLs and pull ups) would be really appreciated too.

Many thanks

Stuart

Old 02-03-2005, 09:32 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Stuart,

Simply doing the WOD gives a pretty solid base off of which to work your sport-specific skills. Have you worked 'Fight Gone Bad.' It's a metabolic workout straight from the pits of hell. It's based off the premise of matching the time domains of your chosen event while (drastically) exceeding the metabolic demands. If you apply this principle to your workouts and sparring sessions (i.e. fresh opponents every round) you'll have a good start. There's a thread in the archives about fight preparation. Larry and Kieth are names that immediately jump to mind as having good posts within that thread.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 02-03-2005, 10:12 AM   #3
Stuart Proudlock

Profile:

Ryan,

Thanks very much - the WOD's have been great and I will still be doing them. Having a date for the comp has given me a lot of focus. I want to do my best in this comp so am looking at refining some of my training to be more specific for the fight.

Did do a search but didn't find anything - will search again.

'Fight gone Bad' is firewalled at work - will check it another time.

Stuart
Old 02-03-2005, 10:28 AM   #4
Stuart Proudlock

Profile:

Doh!

Found 'fight gone bad' - should have kept my mouth shut...
Old 02-03-2005, 11:32 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
10 weeks is not bad. You've got 9 weeks of conditioning a back off week, and plenty of SPP time. I would increase the WOD to 3 on 1 off. Tighten up nutrition. Workout 2 x day. Mornings WOD use footwork and shadow boxing for the warmup. At least 5 hours later, SPP practice consisting of rounds on the heavy bag, speed bag, top and bottom bag, focus mitts, and sparring. As the event gets closer I would start to lessen rounds and time spent on the heavy, speed, and top and bottom bags and increase rounds using focus mitts and sparring. Start to taper at least a week out but still focus on footwork, timing, focus mitts, and sparring. Two weeks out I may cut the WOD to half volume to keep conditioning levels high, but prevent soreness and injuries. Sleep and eat, unless your on the cusp of a weight class, don't lose any weight, keep well hydrated. Have fun, and good luck.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
Stuart Proudlock

Profile:

Larry,

Thanks - that is just what I need. I am going to prepare a program from the WODs archives and take up the 3 on 1 off. Need to get a routine set as soon as possible.

I am on a cusp for weight class I think (70kg about 155lbs) but will just see what 10 weeks does for me.

Stuart
Old 02-03-2005, 01:38 PM   #7
chris muscarella

Profile:

What type of Lei Tai fight? Stuart, will there be rounds?

The WOD is great for building your general capacities, but perhaps 3-4 weeks out from fight time you should start tailoring your training to the nature of the fight. If you are going to fight rounds, this means sparring and conditioning training in rounds. If it is non-stop, train accordingly.

Good luck.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:28 AM   #8
Stuart Proudlock

Profile:

Hi Chris,

It will be rounds but I haven't been able to confirm details yet.

I think the 3 on 1 off for the next 6 weeks will be perfect - more intense than I have been doing but not a drain on my system.

I have alot of work to do on the technical side too - need to work on my throws. I do Muay Thai and MMA so the comp rules will be a little weird for me. Sand bag drills should help.

Cheers

S