CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
Jonathan Sabar

Profile:
Push press "Pop press"

I wanted to get some other CFer's thoughts on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXaekXgMvdU

I'm not sure what to call this, so I've named it the "pop press". One of the guys in my box started doing this as the push press in the Filty Fifty.

I'm of a mind to actually allow it for WODs that use just the 45 lb push press, since it's pretty self-limiting (it can't really be done with any serious weight). He's making it a harder exercise since he's not getting really any hip drive, and it's fast, thereby helping with the work capacity aspect.

On the other hand, I'm not sure it really qualifies as a "push press". How do you quantify how much hip drive is required to call it that?

So, thoughts, anyone?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
Justin McGinley

Profile:
Re: Push press "Pop press"

A push press involves approx a quick 4 inch dip into an explosive drive. Stray far from that, and your not doing a push press.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

If you watch really good lifters (Weight and power), except for new prs, every lift looks the same regardless of the weight; the bar up to a pr. This is what I would strive for.

The idea is not to get the fastest time, the idea is to get the fastest time while doing the excersizes listed.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

That's quick but it's not a push press - it looks more like jumping jacks with a bar. *scratches head*
Old 03-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

That looks really retarded.

Plus, it doesn't look like he actually finishes any of the reps properly; heels planted on the floor, full hip extension with the bar locked overhead with straight arms.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
Chris Walls

Profile:

It's hard to quantity how much dip makes a push press, but really it's any dip at all. I would echo Jamie and want to see consistency in movement, whether it is an empty bar or 3 plates, mechanics stay the same. (or you should at least be striving for the same)

to add: that would be a smoker for metcon, but a push press? no... like Veronica said, more like jumping jacks with a bar.

Last edited by Chris Walls; 03-18-2009 at 11:24 AM..
Old 03-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

The other problem is one of comparison. Take the squat. If you squat the same way each time (or make note of which way you are squatting, I go back and forth between front, high and low), then you can compare each of those same types of squats. I know each low bar is to below parallel, each high bar is just above atg, etc. How do you compare this push press to a heavier push press if it's done differently?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
The other problem is one of comparison. Take the squat. If you squat the same way each time (or make note of which way you are squatting, I go back and forth between front, high and low), then you can compare each of those same types of squats. I know each low bar is to below parallel, each high bar is just above atg, etc. How do you compare this push press to a heavier push press if it's done differently?
I'm sorry, but this is flawed.

The only difference between this "pop press" and a Push Press is that there is less dip before the drive. In fact, this is a Push Press, just with a small amount of dip.

There is no depth requirement for a Push Press, other than that there is a dip. If you can get away with 1/2 inch of dip, that's fine. If you're not as strong and need 4 inches of dip, that's also fine. You do what you need to.

You can argue about not reaching full extension or not planting the heels because those are requirements. But saying that he's doing it incorrectly because he's not going low enough on his dips is like saying Joe Schmoe is doing Box Jumps incorrectly because he's not bending his knees enough in mid-air before landing on the box.

If your argument is simply a recommendation about virtuosity and repeating a specific movement pattern, then don't apply it to something like a metcon where the goal is power output under specific rules. Worry about making your 45-pound Clean and Jerk look like your 250-pound Clean and Jerk during form practice or warm-up.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

There is no dip. Look at the side view, he's just hopping.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
Chris Walls

Profile:

No closing/opening of the hip. This is not a push press. It's bouncing on the ball of foot, like skipping.