CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-01-2006, 08:33 AM   #1
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I've been looking into weighted vests lately for added resistance on bodyweight skills. I have been using a backpack with plates in it for pullups, etc, but I really like the idea of something that loads more evenly and doesn't shift around.

Unfortunately, when I saw the price of a decent weighted vest I had a stroke. Then I recovered and had another before my wife had a chance to shut the webpage down! Once I got over my shock, I started searching here for people constructing something of their own. I found a couple of threads that suggested such things as sand-filled life-jackets or ballistic military vests with duct-taped nails. What I didn't see was any final outcome of these designs. Most of the threads seemed to end with the "I've got a great idea for "X"..." then no further progress.

So, my question is this; anybody who might have tried to fashion their own weighted vest, how well did it work? If it didn't work well, why not? On the other hand, I'd like to hear the opinions of people who have bought the X-vest and the Smartvest, as they look right up my alley as far as design...though the over-$100 price-tag is a killer!

Thanks for your help! :D
Old 05-01-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
Neil Whiteman

Profile:
I got a pretty good deal on the x-vest from e-bay. I did wait quite a while before I bid. I love it so far, fits snug doesn't move much. It does trap the heat however.

I’ve read on the crossfit boards the different smart ways people have used to created their own and considered making my own. But with my job taking so much of my time I just figured it was easer to just bite the bullet and order one.

P.S. Someone on craigslist Miami had two 50 pound vests he was trying to sell a month or two back. If you don't mind the shipping It may be a good idea to post a request for a vest on craigslist and see if he responds.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #3
Jeff Dale

Profile:
One alternative for a lighter variety might be buying a water ski life vest. Make a slice in each foam pocket, remove foam, replace with sand. Not sure how much weight you could get in it though, maybe 15 lbs., more if you use lead shot.

I just bought a life vest and the idea struck me...
Old 05-01-2006, 01:56 PM   #4
Brian McCarrie

Profile:
I've got this one from title boxing: http://store.titleboxing.com/titlebo...hted-vest.html

I like it. It's great for body weight exercises. It may move around too much for sprints though. Only $29.00
Old 05-01-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I got a cheap set of military webbing for $25 from ebay and then made up my own 1kg weights from bent nails and bolts.

It works great for everything i've tried and because of the multiple pockets i can move the weight around to suit what i'm doing. So for examples if i'm doing lots of situps in a workout i'll take the weight outof the back and put it around the sides
Old 05-01-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Brian, that's about the price-range I'd like to find, though I'm loathe to think that you get what you pay for....

Don, when you say military webbing, is that like an amunition belt of sorts, or an actual ballistic vest?
Old 05-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #7
John Frazer

Profile:
I got this one: http://store.titleboxing.com/weightedvest.html

There are several reasons I don't recommend it unequivocally:

1. It's made for guys with pretty big chests. Mine's only 42" or so and I run out of velcro just before getting it snug.

2. The main strap that keeps it in place is too low, and the side of the vest it's supposed to be securing slips over it during anything other than running. The main problem this causes is that the vest hits the ground during pushups.

My solution to both of these problems is to put it on backwards, but given the placement of the straps, this isn't as easy as it sounds.

Title's other designs look more functional, at least on the second issue.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Jesse, this is the one i got except in black

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Rhodesian-Tactical-Assault-Vest-OD-Green-Airsoft_W0QQitem Z6625722084QQcategoryZ588QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

do a search in ebay for "assault vest" and you'll see heaps of styles to choose from
Old 05-01-2006, 10:31 PM   #9
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
http://www.weightvest.com/Pages/50lbpage.html

I have this one Jesse, though I didn't pay as much for it as it says on this website. I got mine on an Ebay auction for much less. It is a great vest and you can adjust it very easily with little 2 1/2 pound weights you put in and take out of the pockets. No bouncing and easy to get on and off.

Fantastic use of loathe up there. I love a well turned phrase.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #10
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Jesse I have a weightvest.com vest as well and its good although I can't stand doing any over movements with it. as it restricts ROM.

I've been able to make a couple for some of the guys on base here by modifying some tactical vest with mag pouches and filling the mag pouches with concrete.

If you can find a South African TacVest at a surplus store you should be able to pick one up for about $25. And a bag of ready mix concrete is like $3.00. You can easily weigh the vest to 50 pounds.

I recommend if you go this route to use a vest with many small pouches. For example; m16 magazine pouches, grenade pouches, flashbang, m203,9mm mag pouches, and the like. And go used, a TacVest can be more expensive then a weight vest new. Old webbing or South African vests are the cheapest.