CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
Charles Applin

Profile:
How long should you trust your "PR" as a gauge for scaling?

I scale my workouts based off my recent personal records. For example, if I had 300# bench and 440# DL pr, I'd do 150# bp (50%), 220# dl (50%) and 110# clean (25% DL) for a Linda workout. For metcon wods, I scale based on a six-round tabata record for the type of movement. For the most part, it gives a quick way to scale based on my individual strengths and weaknesses.

Personally, any of my pr's that are over 6 months old are suspect in my book. It feels though that strength PRs age better than metcon PRs. Any thoughts on how long you should hold on to PRs before you should really consider getting another measurement?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: How long should you trust your "PR" as a gauge for scaling?

I'd say continuing to use any PRs that are 6 months old is either very inaccurate or a sign that you're doing something wrong in your training.

What do you mean about strength PRs "aging" better than metcons? Both should be on a pretty consistent upward trend for the ~95% of CFers who haven't gotten near their genetic potential or suffered from an injury.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

What Eric said. If a six-month old PR is still accurate, you're doing something wrong.

Now, for the purposes of scaling, I think it's fine to estimate your true 1RM from a 5RM or max triple.

What's your strength programming like and why don't you have a more recent PR?

Katherine
Old 05-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

You should be doing 1RM workouts more often than once every 6 months. You're way overdue.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I'd say continuing to use any PRs that are 6 months old is either very inaccurate or a sign that you're doing something wrong in your training.

What do you mean about strength PRs "aging" better than metcons? Both should be on a pretty consistent upward trend for the ~95% of CFers who haven't gotten near their genetic potential or suffered from an injury.
Strength 1rm for the most part I measure quite often (much more than when I followed only the main page wods). Those are for the big lifts of deadlift, back squat, bench, pull-up and press. I haven't measured variants of those such as front squat, overhead squat, weighted dips. Should I sweat making sure I get 1rm or 3rm on these frequently, or just trust they'll be some percentage of my main lifts and aim for that?

Ignore what I said about aging. It's just paranoia on my part that I should have a rough gauge of how many reps I can do of an exercise in two minutes or a six round tabata. Obviously for skill intensive exercises such as double unders, if I'm not doing them for a while, I'm going to get lower numbers. The gas tank itself should be good to go if I keep up with exercises.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
What Eric said. If a six-month old PR is still accurate, you're doing something wrong.

Now, for the purposes of scaling, I think it's fine to estimate your true 1RM from a 5RM or max triple.

What's your strength programming like and why don't you have a more recent PR?

Katherine
Yeah, I would hope I'm getting stronger. On the other extreme, there's no need to do a CFT every week. Is there a happy medium when one should look to get a measured result. Now that's not just in strength movements. I'm also talking about the broad spectrum of CF metcon movements.

For my strength program, currently, I try to do a lift on day 2 of the three day block. On that day I do either deadlift, squat, bench, c2b pull-up or press. So a once through on my cycle would be 5 blocks or twenty days total. Two cycles will be power lifts and the third cycle a 5-3-1.

So far I've cycled through five lifts twice doing 10 sets of 2 at 75%. This cycle will by the 5-3-1 at 75, 85 and 95%. Yeah, a mix of west side and 5-3-1. I even subtracted the 10% from my last known 1rm. I'll just adjust my estimated 1rm based on results of this cycle.

I've backed off trying to always find 1rm's due to working out alone alot. Yeah it's easy to get a spot for a bench. However, it's harder to get a good person to tell me what I'm doing wrong when squatting or deadlifting. Basically, because there's no good reason I can give at the moment.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You don't need to test your 1RM all that often--you can always use Wendler's calculator if you need an estimate of your 1RM at that particular moment. But you should be getting stronger by whatever metric you're using....if your 3RM or your 5RM or your 7RM increase, it's pretty safe to say your 1RM is improving as well.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
Stu Christensen

Profile:

I do an actual gym tested 1RM every 3 months. Its scheduled into my programming.