CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #821
Charles Applin

Profile:
Re: 2012 Open, Regional and Games thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
when it comes to finding the fittest on earth, i think that since all regionals do the same workouts, then the top 60 should go. doesn't matter if a few regions send nobody. doesn't matter if 15 people all come from one region, or even if they come from the same gym. send the best people. if a 4th place finisher in a strong region would dominate a 1st place finisher in a weak region, then there is no reason to send the weaker competitor to the games. for that matter, and i suggested this before, i think that since the open and regional workouts are done by everyone and the same for everyone, that both scores should be used together to get to the games. and perhaps even carry them through to the open. no reason to start with a clean slate everytime. on that i can see the argument both ways.
A fair compromise is: Top three from each region plus top twenty or thirty overall go to the games. Most of the top twenty will already be going so perhaps this'll add another five names. With this method, two in the top twenty and seven in the top thirty didn't go to the finals last year.

This is not completely fair as some regions are judged harder than other. In addition, some regions have worse weather conditions (last year had one region in a rain storm while another had a heat wave). Still, best compromise to get the best to the games for a good show down of the fittest.

Last edited by Charles Applin : 05-07-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #822
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Andrew,
I hadn't watched one of those video updates in a LONG time, but after 30 seconds of the most recent update, I had puke coming from my mouth. It's one thing to report what is going on, it's another to be a biased fan. The 2 behind the desk should be more professional than that. On the other hand, they are purely being "salesmen" for the "sport". If they get hyped up, then there is a greater chance it will get you hyped up.

As for the whole theory of the top 60 from all regions get to go.....

I get that, and I can understand that but it's not fair to have people in an air conditioned arena fight for the same spots as someone outside in 110* sun (the case last year at the regional in Houston for the SouthCentral region). In addition, it gives HQ the chance to say "people from all over the world have come to fight for the title..." etc. Also it makes it real for people in that part of the world, and will (and has in the past) got some press as a result.

Just some things to think about, and calling it as I see it.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #823
Ben Norris

Profile:

I think that people like Zac Forrest who just missed out and came 12 at the games last year should be given an invite back to the games. I mean some guy or girl who "just" finishes the WODs in a really weak region should not knock out somebody like Forrest who has a chance at a top 10 finish
Old 05-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #824
David Alexander

Profile:

The Super Bowl is against the best team from the NFC and the best team from the AFC, not always the two best teams in the NFL.

Almost all sports championships are like this. If you want to be the Champ, you have to beat the people in your region/division/conference.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #825
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alexander View Post
The Super Bowl is against the best team from the NFC and the best team from the AFC, not always the two best teams in the NFL.

Almost all sports championships are like this. If you want to be the Champ, you have to beat the people in your region/division/conference.
Just because something is a certain way, doesn't mean a tangential related event must behave the same way. Then again, those sport champion play-offs have wild card spots, so why not CF Games according to your logic?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #826
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
Then again, those sport champion play-offs have wild card spots, so why not CF Games according to your logic?
Couldn't that be looked upon as the past champions being given a spot, and the top 5 from last year given a spot be looked at as that?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #827
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Couldn't that be looked upon as the past champions being given a spot, and the top 5 from last year given a spot be looked at as that?
But this year, as far as I can tell, the top 5 weren't guaranteed a spot, otherwise the top 4 would have made it from mid-atlantic, since Ben Smith took the gold there.

Last edited by Nicholas Wheeler : 05-08-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #828
Rob Brown

Profile:

Oh man.. So-Cal this weekend!! Who's pumped?

Is there a ghetto way to watch the competition? ..anyone ustreaming? I'll be biting nails for my team and I screwed up and can't be there in person.

R
Old 05-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #829
Jenni Hartman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Wheeler View Post
But this year, as far as I can tell, the top 5 weren't guaranteed a spot, otherwise the top 4 would have made it from mid-atlantic, since Ben Smith took the gold there.
Thought it was just the past Games champs - so in Central East, if Rich Froning gets a top 3 spot, the 4th will get one too. Same with Annie's region.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #830
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni Hartman View Post
Thought it was just the past Games champs - so in Central East, if Rich Froning gets a top 3 spot, the 4th will get one too. Same with Annie's region.
Don't forget Homberg is there also, so it could be the top 5 going from the men's division there.