CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
Dolph Geurds

Profile:
CrossFit adventure race

I have the opportunity to pitch a Adventure CF Race at a local park for a great local charity. We wanted to include Police, Fire, Military, CrossFit Gyms, Highschoolers and fitness trainers from local gyms. Each team would be comprised of four people. The idea would be to stage 15-20 fitness tests through out the park, approxiamtely 1/4 mile apart. Each team would have to find and complete each station in a total timed event. Each station would be a differnet movement that would also be timed or scored. A station may consist of Squat or a Push Press or a Deadlift for max weight, row 10k for time, and/or flip a large tire 200yds, etc... Each member could row a portion of the 10k until they finish. Max effort stations would be averaged by the total weight of the group. I have other ideas for the stations as well. There would be ample time at each station for team participants to rest and recover, while a team mate is working. Do you think this would work? It needs to be a one day event. How long is too long as far as the actual event itself? Any Ideas?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Dolph Geurds

Profile:
Re: CrossFit adventure race

There would be prizes, wether it be cash or prizes that would be donated from sponsors.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Louis Hayes

Profile:

From my AR experiences, stations that require "equipment" have a tendency to constrict. Changing weight on a barbell WAY increases your chances for bogging down the other competitors.
Most of my ARs have been 30-50+ milers with disciplines of trail running, mountain biking, paddling, etc. with O-course type events spread out at various checkpoints. With a short course that you speak of, there might not be enough "mileage" to open up the field of competitors...unless you allow a punch card or passport to be done out of order (let competitors choose the order they go in).

Instead of "timed event" stations (scoring nightmare!!), hold "must complete before moving on" stations. For examples:
  • Station One, each participant must DL 185# 30 times.
  • Station Two, each participant must do 30 pullups.
  • Station Three, each participant must flip a tire from A to B.
  • Station Four, each team must do 100 burpees.

The AFAP principle works itself out and eliminates volunteers/scorekeepers from having to figure out any times, scores, weights, etc.

First team to finish line with filled passport wins.

Best of luck with your event. Sounds like a great time. Host one here in Illinois so my AR team can compete

Last edited by Louis Hayes : 03-23-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: minor
Old 03-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Eric M Pirrone

Profile:

Hey Louis,

Great ideas... Definitely makes it feel like an adventure race.

Dolph how is your affiliate going?

If you need help(marketing,coaching) with your race give me a call!

I love the idea..

Eric Pirrone D.C. CCSP
Old 03-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Dolph Geurds

Profile:

Great stuff Louis. A number of brainstorming sessions are in order. The other thought was how many CF Affiliates within striking distance would be willing to send down their top 4. I want to reach out to all the local big box gyms and see if they will send their top 4, as well, and at the end see who is left standing.

The idea with the various stations located all over the park was that each team would have to strategize what station to travel to first. I wouldn't doubt that by the end of the event 30-40 miles of ground could be covered. There is a 3 mile long lake there and the park holds sprint triathlons every summer, so those are definte options. Stations could be held on the opposite side of the lake and there are trails around most of the lake that lead to various staging areas.

I would also like to understand how the CF games were produced and learn from them to make this an exceptional contest. I do not know of anyhting around my area that has been done like this.

We are also looking for sponsors and will need all the volunteer help possible to oversee the stationed events.