CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #521
Michael Kelley

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
Well - I know that's what JP says. But I'm 38, recovery is a little more difficult. Plus, I'm making up more volume by going every other day ....

For me 'where the magic happens' is also where my form breaks down ....
I'm a similar age. I find recovery is easier by hitting it hard when I lift as JP describes instead of lifting with less intensity a lot. Maybe that's just me. And if the form is breaking down on the 5+ set, isn't it time for a reset?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #522
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Really liking this so far. I've been going up by the prescribed amount each day, and my 5+ sets are always either the same as the previous time or 1 or 2 more reps. Very rewarding to see.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #523
Matthew Harris

Profile:

What's the appropriate reset %? I can't seem to find it after a quick google search. I feel like I recall reading you drop somewhere around 20%, but I want to be sure.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #524
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Harris View Post
What's the appropriate reset %? I can't seem to find it after a quick google search. I feel like I recall reading you drop somewhere around 20%, but I want to be sure.
Its 10%
Old 07-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #525
Matthew Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Dartt View Post
Its 10%
Ha, nice. After I posted that I thought 20% sounded a bit high. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #526
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kelley View Post
I'm a similar age. I find recovery is easier by hitting it hard when I lift as JP describes instead of lifting with less intensity a lot. Maybe that's just me. And if the form is breaking down on the 5+ set, isn't it time for a reset?
Well - how do you measure 'intensity'? It's so relative. I mean, for me, 3 sets of 5 is doable but extremely intense. I'm not resetting until i fail. As an older trainee, JP also, at times, as does Steel, recommend squatting only once per week.

So, maybe i'm not doing GSLP, who cares. Really, the only thing I'm doing that resembles it is the neck harness and curls.

I seem to remember hearing Wendler on one of the roundtables say something like ... (paraphrase) 'everybody is getting all caught up in finding the perfect set and rep and percentage ... just do a few sets of 3 to 5 at a heavy weight ...'

Come to think of it, I probably posted my question in the wrong thread .. so, sorry for the derailment, you guys have fun.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #527
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You can still get benefit out of the 5+ approach even if you leave a rep or two in the tank....that's what Wendler recommends for his + sets on 5/3/1.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #528
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Macaulay View Post
I Love following this thread. To give my joints break after some recent heavy lifting, Im thinking of basing my training around the villanous challenges posted on the strength villain forum.

For those ther dont know a google search will bring them up. For those that do know, a swap of dips instead of pressups, and power cleans instead of squats should bring some interesting results in the form of improved conditioning, strength and size.

Richard
Anyone ever done the 50 squats at Bodyweight...after doing the 20 rep squat routine for 6 weeks it doesn't seem too bad in my head, but 50 is a LOT of reps...at 220# That could be an interesting challenge to try, maybe when I'm done with Smolov I'll give it a go.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:04 AM   #529
Jared Gomez

Profile:

do you use the same wight for the 5+ as the first 2? or drop it?
Old 07-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #530
Michael Kelley

Profile:

Same weight.

50 squats at bodyweight? Ouch. That might be interesting to try one day. Is it "Rx" if you rack the weight to break it up, or do you have to keep it on your shoulders the whole time? I'd be more like 175, but that's a lot of reps.