CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-01-2009, 01:23 AM   #1
Sam Walker

Profile:
Globo-sub for Today's WOD: "The Dirty Dozen" or "The Twisted 12"

This one seems like the perfect example of why you should be a member of an affiliate rather than a Globo, but I need substitute recommendations...

Out of the 12 I'm going to have a lot of problems:

Don't have the equipment for:

25 Ring dips
30 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
3 Rope climb ascents
25 Back extensions

These will probably be frowned out or will be awkward:

50 Box jumps, 20 inch box
25 Walking lunge steps
20 Pull-ups

And my skill and fitness levels will affect:

20 Double-unders
30 Kettlebell swings, 2 pood

Normally I'm fairly happy coming up with my own subbing ideas, but I'm not quite sure what this WOD is about.

If I just sub individual exercises, I'll still have the problem of running between a million stations.

I'm tempted to go for "Row as far as you can in 15 mins"

Thanks for any suggestions...
Old 10-01-2009, 04:22 AM   #2
Luke Hale

Profile:
Re: Globo-sub for Today's WOD: "The Dirty Dozen" or "The Twisted 12"

Hi mate, I feel your pain. I workout at a college gym that I drive past on my way home from work. Whilst its great for some things (I can move things about and make a mess etc) its not great for other things (no squat rack or pullup bars!)

Anyway, here's how I'd probably improvise this workout. I quite like the look of it and will def save it for when I get back to the wods after my current strength program.

I'd do something like this, with a focus on intensity, rather than worrying too much about matching every movement perfectly.

It may not be perfect but it'd still be a great workout ...as long as you keep the intensity.

For time:
25 Walking lunge steps - Either 25 normal lunges or 5 walking, turn back, 5 more, turn etc
20 Pull-ups - body rows from smith machine or TRX rows
50 Box jumps, 20 inch box - gym has tractor tyres i can jump on. Try step ups onto a bench or a stack of aerobic steps
20 Double-unders - tuck jumps or single-unders
25 Ring dips - bar dips, bench dips or just pushups
20 Knees to elbows - got a smith machine to hang off?
30 Kettlebell swings, 2 pood - dumbell swings, or sub burpees instead
30 Sit-ups - floor or gym ball
20 Hang squat cleans, 35 pound dumbells
25 Back extensions - Supermans
30 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball - use whatever ball is available - throw it higher! or do dumbell thrusters with 10kg dumbells
3 Rope climb ascents - towel pullups or one-armed rows

hope that gives you some ideas
Old 10-01-2009, 06:14 AM   #3
Sam Walker

Profile:

Thanks Luke, definitely some useful stuff there.

I guess the decision I'm trying to make is to try a heavily subbed version of this WOD and still have to run around the gym or just to sub the whole thing for something more Globo-friendly.

Normally with metcon or strength WODs the subs seem quite obvious, but this is a bit different.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
Luke Hale

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Walker View Post
Thanks Luke, definitely some useful stuff there.

I guess the decision I'm trying to make is to try a heavily subbed version of this WOD and still have to run around the gym or just to sub the whole thing for something more Globo-friendly.

Normally with metcon or strength WODs the subs seem quite obvious, but this is a bit different.
I know what you mean, but the worry for me is that when you start doing totally different workouts quite often, then you're not really doing CF any more - you're doing your own programming.

I did it quite often - I'd try to follow the wods, but then on days when something I had no equipment for or anything even close, ie, muscleups, ring dips etc, I'd do something totally different like o-lifts or pick a random wod from the archives that I could do

...but the problem is not knowing what will come up tomorrow! Say you did your ME rowing today, then tomorrow a WOD with a ton of rowing pops up, you might end up in another conundrum and have to come up with another workout! (I know rowing two days in a row won't kill you but you know what I mean)

For this wod (or an approximation of it), can you not cobble together all the bits you'd need into one corner or something, rather than running about the place? Depends on how 'globo' the gym is I suppose.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
Sam Walker

Profile:

Thanks Luke. Did what you said - figured I wasn't about to break any records and walked around the gym and made stuff up as I went along. And guess what? The end result still finished me.

My next job is to work on intensity. I need that drive to keep going when my body's saying it can't...
Old 10-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #6
Jonathan Dinh

Profile:

i workout at a globo and did a pretty similar sub

25 Walking lunge steps - normal
20 Pull-ups - normal
50 Box jumps, 20 inch box - 24" box jump.
20 Double-unders - normal
25 Ring dips - bar dips x3 = 75 bar dips
20 Knees to elbows - normal
30 Kettlebell swings, 2 pood - dumbell swings 70#
30 Sit-ups - normal with abmat
20 Hang squat cleans- 35 pound dumbells
25 Back extensions - normal
30 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball - 20# dumbbell thrusters
3 Rope climb ascents - towel pullups