CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #11
Matthew J. Davis

Profile:
Re: How much running is too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Flagg View Post
Are you actually running or just kinda wogging? You might be better off just walking.
We start off moving pretty quick. Her cardio isn't quite where mine is yet, so we eventually slow, but not to a "wogging" pace. Say we run a mile, for example, at about the 3/4 mile mark is when I notice a slowing of pace.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #12
Matthew J. Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
If you are doing it only 2x per week, I doubt there is much risk you will start to burn away muscle as long as you are eating enough. I say that assuming you are not out there running 15k with her or something like that and that this is a relaxing run of 15-20 minutes or so. That is not a lot of running.

Each person may be different as well so you will just have to monitor it. Some people who have trouble keeping on weight have to be very careful, such as me--I drop weight fast when doing a lot of running or cycling. But for me that was running 6-8 hours weekly or cycling 12+ hours weekly. That is very different than a couple of runs a week for 15-20 minutes. I'd say go spend the time with your wife running with her, make sure you eat enough, and don't worry about it.
My purpose is to help aid fat burning and increase cardio. I don't drop weight that easily, nor do I gain it easily. I am somewhat stocky. But have a "naggingly small" spare tire I'm working on getting rid of.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #13
Price Goosby

Profile:

I've been running consistently 20-30 miles a week and only lost a small amount of leg strength (1 short day, 1 medium day, one long day). After a a couple weeks of focusing on my leg strength I hit a front squat PR and my ability to move through WODs in general have significantly improved. Granted though this race season mileage. Normally I'd be putting in 6-10 miles in a week if I was just trying to do cardio.

If you don't pay proper attention to your strength training then yes you can loose mass and strength, but if you make the time and properly fuel yourself you'll be good.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #14
Andrew Emory

Profile:

You can trust me when I say you can run 5mi a day 5-7 X week, follow the main site, and continue to PR.

FWIW however, my running is typically 2-3 X week, about 5-7mi per. Sometimes I'll do stuff in the middle of the run like hand stand push ups or squats or something.

The important thing is your running form, not your milage. If you run right, it aint no thing.

I bet you guys run pretty well. I would explore minimalist footwear if you have already.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #15
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew J. Davis View Post
My purpose is to help aid fat burning and increase cardio. I don't drop weight that easily, nor do I gain it easily. I am somewhat stocky. But have a "naggingly small" spare tire I'm working on getting rid of.
The spare tire I'd bet is diet. If I'm wrong, then sorry.

On the running, If it messes with your training, then it is to much. If it starts hurting, then it is to much.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:50 PM   #16
Ben Joven

Profile:

I agree with previous posters, depends on what your goals are.

For me, running around 30 miles a week effected my strength and lifts, although I was cutting weight fast, I was also losing weight on my lifts, my deadlift, squat, and overhead press went down noticeably.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:18 AM   #17
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Everybody's already covered some solid guidelines for including running in weekly training, but I'll add this:
You mentioned that you've added running to what you were already doing. Was what you were already doing working? Were you getting stronger? Faster? Improving cardiovascular and muscular endurance? Recovering adequately and keeping joints feeling healthy? If you can answer yes to all of these, then adding running to your weekly regimen is not going to a problem at all. If you answered no, then you need to take a step back and reassess.
It's all too easy to add more to our current training without taking into account that adding more stressors will definitively require more recovery. If you weren't recovering like a champ before, you either need to a) remove something else from your training; or b) up your recovery game (sleep is probably a great place to start). Otherwise your progress is going to halt or start sliding backwards.
That being said, I'm willing to bet that a few miles of running every week isn't going to make a huge negative difference in the long run (hah).
Old 06-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #18
Rob Poling Jr

Profile:

Running should help build your legs and burn body fat but if you want to slow the pace you can just rotate each day, walk one run one. It gives you that personal time alternated with a higher paced workout.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #19
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

If you guys (and gals) are interested in mixing up strength training and running I would recommend checking out this group:

http://www.completehumanperformance.com (WFS)

They have a book out on the hybrid athlete that I've heard is good but have not read myself. The founder, Alex Viada is an absolute physical freak and incredibly knowledgable on this sort of thing.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:19 PM   #20
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

If you want to sneak in more mileage than you would normally do yet keep the speed up, try Fartleks. I used this last year and enjoyed it.