CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-17-2008, 01:17 AM   #31
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Blair's I should have a log since I don't like logs log.

7-16

5x5 DL

Joined CF Sac today.

WU with the usual and oly bar (20kg) 10 reps of BS, FS, OHS, DL, hip shrugs.

I was tempted to bang out 87 pound OHS ( about 55% BW ) but decided to not overdo it before the DL.

I think just doing bar OHS is too light. Using a snatch grip distance, seemed like I could get the bar way too behind myself so I might choke up.

Definitely gonna bring the digital camera to take some footage of lifting to get criticized on soon.

Did a set of 10 of GHD and reverse hyper to warmup as well.

5x5 DL

I was perplexed whether to start the 5 sets at 223 and do the same weight for 5 sets or keep on going up from there. At 243x5, that is getting to the point where my grip is getting loose in an overgrip. I could start using a mixed grip and alternating.

In hindset, I was advised by SLow to start 20lbs under max of 5 reps and go from there. I was wondering if the extra 10 reps would push me over the edge as I'd like to workout tomorrow and Friday. I will know by tomorrow, how I feel from today's workout.

Got my mushroom today and played a bit on it. Waiting on Sommer's rings which I hope I get in the first week of August. Took down my rope/pvc rings because a friend wanted to borrow the rope on Sunday night and didn't and I have yet to reset them up.

Didn't get out to Davis last night. Just did some active recovery besides whatever bike riding I did around and about. Did some work on the foam roller and bar besides acrobatics.

Tomorrow, rings and mushroom? I guess I could hit Davis for an hour workout but it hardly seems worth the effort to go that far or go to Poszar's to try out the adult class. Maybe I'll go watch if I feel like bike riding that far.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #32
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Glutes, hams and shoulders are definitely feeling the deads but I could have pushed it harder since I'm feeling way too lively.

Time to finally finish upgrading this computer so it isn't dog slow editing video or scanning documents. Work out afterwards tonight I think.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:40 AM   #33
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Made it to CF Sac today since I was sacked out yesterday morning. Sometimes, I wake up early enough to not know what to do with myself on a Sunday morning. Sometimes I sleep. Heck, I was going to go swimming on saturday afternoon after working out and biking around in the morning and then ended with me going home, napping, waking up, napping some more, and then sleeping till Sunday afternoon. I musta been hecka tired.

Ended up doing some running, dips and pullups yesterday. That was about it. Riding around Saturday must have taken a lot more out of me than I thought.

Today's workout. 7-21-08

I did my usual warmup. My focus going in was Oly lifting starting off with snatch work and finishing with cleans and maybe some jerks.

Started off with oly bar back squats, deadlifts, and good mornings. 2x5

Did half a gym walk of lunges in the warmup. Proceded on to Snatch work.

Started everything off with 2x5 of 133lb FS. Wow, it's been awhile since I have felt those.

Moved on to snatch grip jump shrugs with 133 3x4. 4 reps, weird but I just felt that rep 5 would burn me out.

Heaving snatch balance 3x3 64lbs

3x3 with 64lbs. I thought about going to 88 or progressing in weight but wanted to really work on form. I did PVC drills of each in between during the rest periods of 1-2 minutes.

Hang snatch

Snatch from a 1/4 leaning over squat. " Scoop " position. I thought I've seen someone do it from this position before. It was different and tough.

Snatch from bottom

Started getting tired on the 3rd round of snatches from the bottom as I just wasn't as interested going to the deck.

There was also a comical fall back on the 2nd rep of the 1st round of snatching from the bottom. Some weird brain fart ( thinking mid way of doing ) and some weird feet positioning. I threw it forward as I went into a candlestick roll backward.

Originally, I was going to work on seeing how heavy I could clean after the snatches, but it was getting too close to closing so I called it a day. I was a bit fried CNS wise because a support on rings made my brain fire weird.

Practiced some weird frog kicking butterfly like pullups for 10. They are weird, but come natural to me. I had thought about doing video today but didn't bring the camera with me. Next time. I need to video this weird kip because I know what it feels and looks like. I suck at a horizontal kip. I can do them in singles but generally run afoul tempo wise to keep them flowing.

Biked home, which at first I thought would take forever. Stopped at Jamba Juice, mixed some whey with the OJ and ate a banana till I stopped closer to home for 2 chicken tacos since I took too long in going home ( went off the straight and easy route ). One of the trainers there asked me if I wanted to join the Oly team but their workouts being in the middle of the day would never work. I did notice apparently I had just missed the Oly class by about half an hour but I never signed up for the group workouts. Guess he just noticed me snatching in the corner.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:48 AM   #34
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I really like the subtle knurling on the Elite rings.

I think I'm going to program in one heavy day of lifting either Back Squats or Deadlifts every week. One day will be oly lifting, probably switching every other week. I'd like to work both snatching and C&J per workout but I'm not sure if that is wise or not, timewise or for good power/movement.

I know I can snatch a lot more than 64lbs, not even 50% BW but will take it slow to work on form since my snatching form was always lacking and about 2/3rds of the weight of my C&J. I'd like to go heavy for the C&J, working some lighter poundage for form.

Front squats will be worked into the Oly days I think instead of the " heavy " lifting days. I'm sure pressing and some SLRDL or SumoDL or GM will be in there as well. I still would like to hit 200 FS soon and be progressing near or past mid 200 before fall hits. I'll have to max FS soon to determine where I am.

1 day heavy lifting, 1 day oly lifting, and maybe 1 day doing workouts at CF Sac I can't do at home ( FGB, rowing stuff, kipping pulls ). These maybe could be done after lifting if they are short or maybe doing CFSAC WOD. We'll see.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #35
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Got into CFSac a bit past 7 so had just under an hour before they closed.

Did my usual warmup for the most part.

BSx10, Thrusterx10, RDLx10, OHSx10, Bulgarian split squat x7 each leg to WU.

On the board there was a box jump, KB swing, SDHP that looked pretty interesting and I was planning to do it after BS if I had time. I played on the rings for a bit before the heavy BS and no one was in there but the owner and his kids, I think. Kinda weird.

Proof is in the pudding. Linkin Park > trumphs over whatever alternative/american punk/R&B pop that was playing when it comes to lifting things heavy. I'm sure anything of the similar genre or hard rock would suffice as well. I felt the adrenaline kick in after the first set of BS and that sure helped me a lot since the first set of BS really felt heavy for some reason. Too much damn bike riding today.

Heavy BS

133x10
223x7
243x5
267x3
287x1 I was going to do 287x3 and haven't done this heavy in quite awhile since I was tooling around with 265x5 the same week of the Games. I was going to do rep # 2 but wasn't sure if I could finish it and with no spotters or spotting cage ( just a squat rack ), I thought it better to just call it a day with 5 minutes left.

Tonight I will do some dip and pullup work. I had thought about doing Press, Push Press, Push Jerk after BS besides the KB and SDHP. Maybe in a little bit, maybe tomorrow instead.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:54 PM   #36
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

7-28

This was supposed to be an Oly C&J day finished with a re attempt of the Sunday CF games 155x30 C&J. Hah! It did not turn out so well.

It turned into this as I brought the camera. It pist me off that I was having problems catching the 133. Not difficult to jerk. I need to pull myself under instead of drop and push. Still it ain't bad.

w/f safe
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=35055

There wasn't really any metcon and I went home kind of annoyed at that. Sure enough I was tired and fried, but I've been missing out on upper body work lately.

I did do 133x5 OHS in my WU and that made me happy. Was definitely uncomfortable in my wrists after 5 reps and had to drop it. Not that it was super easy. I'm going go wider than a press and see about it next time.

Did some pullup and dips after a few hours when I got home. Workout kinda sucked do to some other factors I think. I'll modify these next time.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #37
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

7-30

Today was a heavy lift day and it was all about the snatch grip DL. I got there with 30 minutes to close. Why do I keep trying to take alternative routes to the gym? That ate probably 15 minutes as it definitely felt like it. Roughly a 40-45minute ride in what takes 25+.

10 minute warmup and 20 minutes to do 5x5. After 3 sets, I backed off to doing the last sets in 3 reps.

133x5, 153x5, 177x5, 199x3, 223x3

Voila, bike ride home. I'm going to do more pullup and dip work shortly.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #38
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Lately, I've been really slacking off since starting to lift and have done almost no BW work. No sprinting or running.

I was planning to do 1 day of Oly and 1 day of heavy lifting per week with a 3rd optional day at CF Sac. Hell, I should go more often and get my money's worth I guess. Probably could arrange to go in, do one of their or CF Wods and my own at night.

I'm planning on doing on:

~ 1 day of Oly lifting, alternating C&J and Snatch work. Front Squats and OHS will figure in there as well as jump shrugs, high pulls.

~ 1 day of heavy lifting, alternating BS with DL. DL with alternate regular, switching mixed, and snatch grip. Maybe I will just alternate snatch grip and switching mixed. Gripping is my weak point in it. I thought about doing it off a block, but honestly it doesn't need to get fancy like that.

~ I'm thinking I will add a 3rd day and do their WODS or a CF WOD or Hero workout. Probably work on kipping pulls, double unders, rowing too. I can make this regular if I go MWF. Sat is generally not an option since it conflicts with my saturday morning. Sunday morning I tend to sleep in from Sat night, so honestly I don't think it's gonna happen ever. Unless I just want to suffer.

Programming MWF at CFSac will make it weird and simpler to program the gymnastics stand alone and sprinting I think. I may alternate every 3rd or 4th sprint workout with long distance running or hill running. I know a great hill between Hazel and Main on Sunset. I highly reccomend it for retraining that 700m hill run.

Weirdest thing about doing MWF is scheduling rest days. I typically work out at night unless I switch the time I go in to mornings and do gymnastics in the evenings or nights. Sat is usually the social night and Friday stays in because of early Sat training. What a nightmare to program this stuff. It's worse than any gymnastics training scheduling.

Just recently hit 10 PU that I can just hop up and do regularly. Last reps are a bit of a chore but there. Dips are a bit different to just hop and test as they really seem to need to be warmed up. Hopefully I'm near 20 and probably near 10 on rings. When are my rings gonna arrive.

And somewhere in there, I told myself I would do short runs every 2 or 3 days. I guess biking is in place of that, but I'd like to add the running on top of that.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:21 AM   #39
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

8-2

Didn't log my saturday workout. It was somewhat short and that has been the trend lately. Made it in because training was canceled for today.

I got in 3 sets of the Burgener WU with PVC and 3 with just the bar. I've decided I'm going to do this every time I go in to CF Sac and try to do the Burgener WU with PVC at home ( and maybe 2x25pd DB ) on the other days at home. I guess I could forego doing it at CFSac to save time if I did it at home with just PVC but it feels way different with a bar.

Muscle snatch aggravates the left shoulder. I'm adding in cuban presses because I think they will do good things for them. StephenL tells me doing front levers will the horizontally pulling exercise I need which is exactly what the chiro prescribed last year ( horizontal pulling shrugs which I do with my total gym ).

Didn't have much time left after finishing those 6 sets.

I did a set of OH presses then a set of jumping squats, then a set of push presses, then a final set of lunges. I was going to do a final set of jerks and snatch balance but ran out of time.

I think I did some pullups, dips and ring work for a few minute before it closed as a class with mostly HS'ers were finishing up. They did Daniel which looked pretty interesting and I thought about doing Sat night but didn't. Dammit.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:42 AM   #40
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

8-4

Today was a back squat. I spent sunday going over the low bar back squat watching videos, reading ************ and Rips letters and the comments it caused. I ended up going back and reading all of what I could about Dan John and I like some of his stuff.

I'm beginning to think I'm not doing enough work on my lifting workouts. I need to have about 15 more minutes at least of workout time, maybe 20 to either do more work or a metcon. So get there earlier, Blair!

I went to sleep Sunday with the thought I was going to give up on the low bar back squat until I could have someone visually show me it. After watching video, I still didn't understand where to put it.

Did the WU, forgot the Burgener WU in one of my brain farts.

Started off with just doing the low bar and figured it out pretty easily. Honestly the thumbless thing had me worried. Some of the time I would look straight ahead/up like I do in a high bar BS but I fixed it by keeping my chin down and looking through the mirror.

-Bar only x10 or was it 15?
-Bar+10kg x10
-Bar+20kg x10
-Bar+30kg x10 my wrists flexed under the bar to support it like high bar and I felt it afterwards, some KB wrist rolling solved the achiness
-Bar+40kg x7, wow these are starting to get tough
-Bar+40kg+20pds x 5 had to squeeze out that 5th and there was quite a bit of groaning in the last 2 sets

So, low bar BS feels really tough compared to FS with that weight. I didn't want to go heavy since this was my first time with it. An issue is my wrists are flexing under the bar and this will only get worse as the weight gets up. Basically, I think that means the bar is slipping but I think getting the elbows out higher back will help. I tried to grip the bar wider but that did not work. While in some ROM, I have a lot of flexibility in my shoulder, I'm really poor in reaching behind my back. As in trying to touch the back of my hands with straight arms behind me. This has always been so and long affected my skin the cat flexibility and reaching behind and under on mushroom circles.

Since I had decided I wasn't doing enough volume, added 5 sets of bench. I've been laying off bench ever since last fall when a BW bench hurt me when I was teaching bench press to my friend at 24HR. I've been doing dips and pseudo planche or planche work instead but what the hell, I might as well do some bench.

- 89pdsx15. No funkiness or pain.
- 111x10or15. Wow, it's been awhile since I've benched like this.
- 133x10or15 Can't remember if I was doing 10 or 15.
- 153x10 probably not using as long of rest periods as I'd like but time is
getting short
- 163x2 That's it 2. and that's really close to BW. bah. however, rest period was probably just racking time up. Though about 173 but decided against it. Got to be safe with the spotting set up of the rack.

That was about it. I think I'll be swapping overhead and bench pressing. I did feel some aggravation in my left shoulder last saturday doing overhead pressing.

I was going to do some SDHP or bent over rows but ran out of time. More and more these workouts are starting to look like SS.