CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
Milton Brisson

Profile:
Re: how to compete at the crossfit games

I dont know about cheating your way through the sectionals...Sure its possible, but you will be exposed at regionals when you go face to face with a firebreather!

I have to think that there is a way to weed out that sort of thing.

Having said that, I am dissapointed in the mail-in sectionals. I was hoping to go to sectionals (as a spectator...) this year!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #12
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
IHaving said that, I am dissapointed in the mail-in sectionals. I was hoping to go to sectionals (as a spectator...) this year!
EXACTLY, this is how you build interest in a sport, or anything.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Why do you guys this this is so horrible?

Because it's no longer about how you perform on the day of the competition.. you can have multiple attempts.

Plus competition brings out the best in you, especially in front of an audience.. doing it iwth your 'regular' gym crowd is not the same as competing at the Arnold..

Just my $0.02
Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Prabhu View Post
Because it's no longer about how you perform on the day of the competition.. you can have multiple attempts.

Plus competition brings out the best in you, especially in front of an audience.. doing it iwth your 'regular' gym crowd is not the same as competing at the Arnold..

Just my $0.02
Competing at sectionals isn't the same as competing at the Arnold though... That would be comparable with the games. Most likely, we will still see onsite competitions held for regionals, so you will still get to experience the competition environment at both regionals and the games. Think about how much easier this makes it for folks that do not have an affiliate nearby, or where sectionals was previously held several states (or even countries) away from them, those folks travel costs will be saved so that they can actually afford to travel to regionals if they make it. Doing the initial phase online is much more economical for those folks.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #15
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Competing at sectionals isn't the same as competing at the Arnold though... That would be comparable with the games.
Except that Sectionals were held at the Arnold...
Old 01-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #16
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

If you compete in a real sport and you want to be the best (in the region, country, world, whatever) you recognize that there is a cost to compete, whether it be in time off from work, airfare, gas, etc. Anyone who has ever played a real sport competitively knows this.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #17
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
If you compete in a real sport and you want to be the best (in the region, country, world, whatever) you recognize that there is a cost to compete, whether it be in time off from work, airfare, gas, etc. Anyone who has ever played a real sport competitively knows this.

Especially now that's there a decent cash prize for the top athletes, not to mention sponsorships from Reebok, Rogue, Progenex etc..
Old 01-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #18
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Prabhu View Post
Especially now that's there a decent cash prize for the top athletes, not to mention sponsorships from Reebok, Rogue, Progenex etc..
Well, yeah, that too.

But, seriously, people are moaning, "What about the little guys who aren't going to make it to the Games?" Dude, the point of Sectionals is that it is a stepping stone TO THE GAMES. While it's heart warming that HQ claims that they are all about making Sectionals more accessible, really? They don't owe that to anyone. If they think they are crowning the fittest person on the planet, then why would they care that the person with the 12:00 Fran time can't afford to drive 4 hours to Sectionals? The Games are not about the person with the 12:00 Fran time.

Any CrossFitter who wants to compete can do it pretty much any weekend of the year. Not only are there local and regional CF competitions hosted by various affliates, there are 5ks and 10ks and mud runs, and powerlifting competitions and weightlifting competitions. Guess what? Supposedly, all of those things are CrossFit. If you want to compete, GO FOR IT. Try competing against people who aren't CrossFitters. You might learn something.

As for people not being able to afford a trip to Sectionals, well, I hope the people claiming that aren't paying for affiliate memberships. Because then I'm gonna laugh. But, regardless, successful people have goals, and they find a way to achieve them. I guarantee you that more than one person on these boards spent time as a kid at a car wash or yard sale or selling candy bars door to door to fund a Little League tournament or soccer trip. Goals don't achieve themselves. Do work.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #19
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
...Goals don't achieve themselves. Do work.
There is nothing in life worth doing that should be more complicated than that! Well said!
Old 01-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #20
Zach Doss

Profile:

To add:
I don't see why an affiliate couldn't "host" a sectional event. Promote it, tape the athletes (you have to do it anyway), and send in the results. The only guideline being set forth (we presume), is that the workout must be taped and submitted using the regulations as set forth by CFHQ.
If that's the case, then I don't see why you couldn't have a number of Sectionals events at your local box. Just host it. It's a win win for the athletes, the affiliate and the community.