CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #21
Trevor Probandt

Profile:
Re: how to compete at the crossfit games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Well, yeah, that too.

But, seriously, people are moaning, "What about the little guys who aren't going to make it to the Games?" Dude, the point of Sectionals is that it is a stepping stone TO THE GAMES. While it's heart warming that HQ claims that they are all about making Sectionals more accessible, really? They don't owe that to anyone. If they think they are crowning the fittest person on the planet, then why would they care that the person with the 12:00 Fran time can't afford to drive 4 hours to Sectionals? The Games are not about the person with the 12:00 Fran time.

Any CrossFitter who wants to compete can do it pretty much any weekend of the year. Not only are there local and regional CF competitions hosted by various affliates, there are 5ks and 10ks and mud runs, and powerlifting competitions and weightlifting competitions. Guess what? Supposedly, all of those things are CrossFit. If you want to compete, GO FOR IT. Try competing against people who aren't CrossFitters. You might learn something.

As for people not being able to afford a trip to Sectionals, well, I hope the people claiming that aren't paying for affiliate memberships. Because then I'm gonna laugh. But, regardless, successful people have goals, and they find a way to achieve them. I guarantee you that more than one person on these boards spent time as a kid at a car wash or yard sale or selling candy bars door to door to fund a Little League tournament or soccer trip. Goals don't achieve themselves. Do work.
Very well said!!! I could not agree more. Put up or shut up.

I have never played a football game, contested a rugby match, lifted in a meet or roped a calf at home. Every time I've had to pay for gas, food, rooms, etc even though nobody made me.

Personally, I hope CrossFit only goes "pro" in the aspect of "pay to play" meaning you don't get paid a damn dime for showing up! Win or go hungry. Works the same way with many sports outside of the big 4. Have a level that you have to achieve to be in the big leagues, then once you are there, you are free to enter and win/or lose at any of the sanctioned CrossFit comps.

I understand HQ position and right now, I don't think it is as big of a deal as most say. But then again, I don't live and breathe this stuff...and why I probably won't ever make it to the bigs in CF. But it sure makes the rest of my life better...and that is good enough for me!
Old 02-16-2011, 04:53 AM   #22
Charles Applin

Profile:

Talk about a thread jack. There's already a thread about pros/cons of the online sectionals. Anyway, to add to it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Doss View Post
To add:
I don't see why an affiliate couldn't "host" a sectional event. Promote it, tape the athletes (you have to do it anyway), and send in the results. The only guideline being set forth (we presume), is that the workout must be taped and submitted using the regulations as set forth by CFHQ.
If that's the case, then I don't see why you couldn't have a number of Sectionals events at your local box. Just host it. It's a win win for the athletes, the affiliate and the community.
Actually, the affiliate does not even have to film it. All affiliates that wish to participate can opt in on a week by week basis. By opting in, they acknowledge to have the facilities to perform the various WODs for that week's sectional. People can show up and try out that way, submitting their scores with an annotation about it being done at an approved affiliate.

That said, there's nothing wrong with said affiliate offering prizes for top spots at that specific competition even if none of them end up going on to regionals. You get camaraderie mixed with healthy competition and a decent does of beer thrown in

PS: 1000 people will be going forward to Regionals (60 competitors at 17 regionals). Cheating or not at sectionals, the BEST OF THE BEST will be going to the finals. I can GUARANTEE that the top 100 scorers at sectionals will have their videos picked over with a fine tooth comb. Any cheating of these guys or gals will be readily apparent just by the large number of eyes put on them.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #23
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
I can GUARANTEE that the top 100 scorers at sectionals will have their videos picked over with a fine tooth comb.
Kinda hard to gurantee that since not all the submissions are on film.

But I agree cheating is dumb as it will become obvious @ Regionals.

But then again there are people who count short on EVERY wod everyday, just to be first-- so each to their own I guess.
With that much prize $$ on the line- I think the possibility of 'unfair' means goes up considerably (drug testing this year?)
Old 02-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #24
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Yes, not all submission will be on film. The ones that are not filmed and submitted will be performed and judged at an affiliate that has chosen to "Opt-in" for that weeks Open sectional. From reading Tony Budding's comments on the various Open post on the Games website, cheating of any form will not be tolerated. Affiliates are given the authority to assess ROM standards for their athletes and the scores submitted are assumed to be valid despite a video submission. Any cheating by affiliates will result in de-affiliation. That in itself would be a very large incentive for a business owner to not rist thier livelihood by shaving a few seconds off of someone's time. Our affilitate owner has stated that our sectional WODs will be filmed regardless to serve in case of a backup in case there are any questions. Sounds totally appropriate.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #25
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
Affiliates are given the authority to assess ROM standards for their athletes and the scores submitted are assumed to be valid despite a video submission. Any cheating by affiliates will result in de-affiliation. That in itself would be a very large incentive for a business owner to not rist thier livelihood by shaving a few seconds off of someone's time.
THIS is the problem. I am not saying that there are tons of affiliates who would purposefully cheat. But, go to YouTube and watch some affiliate videos. Plenty of affiliates post public videos that demonstrate horrendous ROM. It's not that they are TRYING to cheat, but that is the accepted standard at their affiliate. I mean, I watched one the other day where MAYBE 5 pullups of 45 should have been counted. This was posted by an affiliate, not by a random person on the interwebz. It's one thing if there are a few questionable reps at a Sectional or Regional where all judges have had the same briefing and there are hundreds of eyes watching. I think allowing individual affiliate owners to be in charge of judging or arranging judging for their own athletes is quite another thing.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #26
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
THIS is the problem. I am not saying that there are tons of affiliates who would purposefully cheat. But, go to YouTube and watch some affiliate videos. Plenty of affiliates post public videos that demonstrate horrendous ROM. It's not that they are TRYING to cheat, but that is the accepted standard at their affiliate. I mean, I watched one the other day where MAYBE 5 pullups of 45 should have been counted. This was posted by an affiliate, not by a random person on the interwebz. It's one thing if there are a few questionable reps at a Sectional or Regional where all judges have had the same briefing and there are hundreds of eyes watching. I think allowing individual affiliate owners to be in charge of judging or arranging judging for their own athletes is quite another thing.
Valid point, Tamara. You would have to assume that there will be both written and video standards for acceptable ROM. Hopefully this can be used as a tool to improve standards across the board. As you can tell, I am a very "glass is half-full" sort of person.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:04 AM   #27
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
As you can tell, I am a very "glass is half-full" sort of person.
Yeah, I heard people like you existed. Weirdos.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #28
Brent Blackburn

Profile:

In my opinion this is Crossfit HQ helping out its Affiliates by getting them in contact with more potential business (which makes sense and I'm not criticizing). Essentially you have the option to film it or participate at a local affiliate but if (or rather, when) the WODs have pullups or thrusters or KB swings (and so on) wouldn't you rather have some one judging you rather than submit and hope it gets approved? This is where more people will turn to affiliates and a number of those people (however small) will have never visited an affiliate before. This group will then travel to a new affiliate where they will sign in and develop a relationship with the box that is judging them. It is lead generation for the Affiliates and a chance to show off their services, location, and stable of athletes.

I have no chance of making it through a Sectional but I do enjoy competing. I have a marginal fear that I am going to try to qualify through an Affiliate and end up liking the coaches, facility, etc. and then feel some small obligation to try to get back there. Am I the only person that feels this way? The competition format seems like it is an open house for serious crossfitters, the kind you know are committed and already well versed in the movements, and these people would seem like they would be great revenue generators for a box.

Maybe I'm way off. Maybe all (or almost all) of the competitive Crossfitters are already affiliated with a Box either as a trainer, trainee, or a drop-in and this will not help affiliates much in the way of new business. All I know is I have never set foot in a box around Nashville and all the sudden I am being drawn to one like a magnet if I want to compete. The anxiety of having my video approved would be a workout in itself. Yikes, long post....my b.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #29
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Blackburn View Post
I
Maybe I'm way off. Maybe all (or almost all) of the competitive Crossfitters are already affiliated with a Box either as a trainer, trainee, or a drop-in and this will not help affiliates much in the way of new business. All I know is I have never set foot in a box around Nashville and all the sudden I am being drawn to one like a magnet if I want to compete. The anxiety of having my video approved would be a workout in itself. Yikes, long post....my b.
I think most top Games competitors have been associated with a box. In part, the amount of training required is easier to manage for people who are paid to train, as opposed to people who have to fit training in around a sedentary job.

The Sectionals can still be a great lead generator, though. Both among competitors -- who don't *all* have boxes already -- and among spectators. People love to watch any kind of competition, so it's a great way to draw people in to see what you're doing.

Katherine