CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Ben Henson

Profile:
To scale or not to scale..that is the question

So I let myself go, been caught up in the world of food, adult beverages, late nights ect for far too long. In January of 09 I had 11.9% BF was tabbling in CF, running and training hard for rock climbing. Now my BF is around 22%.

I started crossfitting for real last Monday. I've followed the WOD everyday and have eaten Paleo (fell off a bit over the weekend but not bad).

My question obviously is whether or not I should scale down the workouts? I'm sure if I should try and complete each workout as RX'd it will take me 3 maybe 4 times longer, or scale down the workout and crush it within reasonable time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Jason Wallis

Profile:
Re: To scale or not to scale..that is the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Henson View Post
So I let myself go, been caught up in the world of food, adult beverages, late nights ect for far too long. In January of 09 I had 11.9% BF was tabbling in CF, running and training hard for rock climbing. Now my BF is around 22%.

I started crossfitting for real last Monday. I've followed the WOD everyday and have eaten Paleo (fell off a bit over the weekend but not bad).

My question obviously is whether or not I should scale down the workouts? I'm sure if I should try and complete each workout as RX'd it will take me 3 maybe 4 times longer, or scale down the workout and crush it within reasonable time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
If in doubt, scale. How much will depend on your individual fitness, but the main thing is to stay within the intention of the workout. You don't want to turn a 10 minute metcon into a 40 minute strength workout.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Scale.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Your bodyfat percentage doesn't have anything to do with your ability to do the workouts.

I third the above responses--scale. It's a lot easier to increase things as you progress than it is to recover from an injury caused by overuse or poor form with too-heavy weights.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
Bob Cieszkowski

Profile:

Refer to BrandX (WFS) for scaling of the mainsite WODs.

I'd give this (WFS) a look too.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

What most people fail to understand in the programming is that not all workouts are built for "strength" building, nor are should you be falling to the ground gasping for air, on the verge of puking day in and day out.

I can't speak for other affiliates programming, but if we put up a Rx weight for the WOD, we do not allow members to go heavier, in some WOD's you should be going FASTER; that's the way it was designed.

If you don't scale, and a WOD takes you 3-4x longer then you are not getting the same benefit it was designed to give you if you don't scale, and do it FAST.

That being said, not all are to be done as fast as possible, which is why we schedule strength days as well in our programming.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
What most people fail to understand in the programming is that not all workouts are built for "strength" building, nor are should you be falling to the ground gasping for air, on the verge of puking day in and day out.

I can't speak for other affiliates programming, but if we put up a Rx weight for the WOD, we do not allow members to go heavier, in some WOD's you should be going FASTER; that's the way it was designed.

If you don't scale, and a WOD takes you 3-4x longer then you are not getting the same benefit it was designed to give you if you don't scale, and do it FAST.

That being said, not all are to be done as fast as possible, which is why we schedule strength days as well in our programming.
I could hug you.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
Brian Strump

Profile:

We have recently posted this on our website, and one of our whiteboards, after we had minor issues with 3 members.

You all know that we have a great time at CFSC, but sometimes I feel like I need to be the “principal” of the awesome “school” of fitness to make sure everything runs well. What sets us apart from other gyms is our coaching. Our coaching not only programs you dynamic, constantly varied, high intensity, functional workouts, but also helps teach, and correct your form in order to prevent injury (including during your workout). Recently we have had a few members not wanting to be coached or not listening during workouts, and I take huge issue with this. Regardless of how “good” you think your form is, you cannot see all of your body mechanics when you are performing many of CrossFit’s exercises and that is why we have coaches. Correct form and keeping you from injuring yourself will always be more important to us then you getting a “good time”. For your safety if a coach tells you to do a lower weight…do the lower weight!! I will let you know that this has happened with more than one member and more than one coach. If you are someone that does not wish to be coached, then this is not the right place for you and that’s ok. We realize that we are not a fit for what everyone wants out of a fitness facility and that is the reason we offer month to month memberships. We know that many of you now feel like part of the “family” in our CrossFit community and often joke with our coaches which we love! Please don’t lose that….but understand that they are working when they are coaching here and we do expect respect.

We are now issuing a new burpee rule. Complaining about coaching or not listening to coaches during WOD or strength portion is 20 burpees to be done immediately. If it becomes a bigger issue you will be asked to leave for that day and come back when you are ready to be coached. We understand people have bad days, but take it out on the workout not the coach.

Jamie,

Where would you fly out of? Tickets on me, I'll take the hug please.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
We have recently posted this on our website, and one of our whiteboards, after we had minor issues with 3 members.

You all know that we have a great time at CFSC, but sometimes I feel like I need to be the “principal” of the awesome “school” of fitness to make sure everything runs well. What sets us apart from other gyms is our coaching. Our coaching not only programs you dynamic, constantly varied, high intensity, functional workouts, but also helps teach, and correct your form in order to prevent injury (including during your workout). Recently we have had a few members not wanting to be coached or not listening during workouts, and I take huge issue with this. Regardless of how “good” you think your form is, you cannot see all of your body mechanics when you are performing many of CrossFit’s exercises and that is why we have coaches. Correct form and keeping you from injuring yourself will always be more important to us then you getting a “good time”. For your safety if a coach tells you to do a lower weight…do the lower weight!! I will let you know that this has happened with more than one member and more than one coach. If you are someone that does not wish to be coached, then this is not the right place for you and that’s ok. We realize that we are not a fit for what everyone wants out of a fitness facility and that is the reason we offer month to month memberships. We know that many of you now feel like part of the “family” in our CrossFit community and often joke with our coaches which we love! Please don’t lose that….but understand that they are working when they are coaching here and we do expect respect.

We are now issuing a new burpee rule. Complaining about coaching or not listening to coaches during WOD or strength portion is 20 burpees to be done immediately. If it becomes a bigger issue you will be asked to leave for that day and come back when you are ready to be coached. We understand people have bad days, but take it out on the workout not the coach.

Jamie,

Where would you fly out of? Tickets on me, I'll take the hug please.
Duuuhhhh. DFW baby.

I had someone asking me about training yesterday, and saying they'd never done anything like CrossFit, but balking at the idea of 'being told what to do'. I told him, quite honestly, if he'snot going to commit, not to waste my time.
For us (and I know every affiliate is different), if we're correcting you during a WOD it's because the form is so deteriorated there's a danger posted. Particularly when weights are being used. I'm not looking for perfection every time, but a constant attention to doing it right is essential.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #10
Valarie Wright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Henson View Post
I dont see the BF percentage as pertaining to the question of scaling.

O/w .. scale. Though a newbie to CF, I am a fulltime Yoga instructor. Tone it down a bit .. focus on basics.

Accuracy before speed ..