CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
replenishing muscle glycogen [or lack thereof] and muscle loss

First off, I'm still considerably pudgy around the waist so my goal is fat loss w/muscle retention.

I've been pretty strict w/Paleo for the past 7 weeks w/salt being the only exception [and 3 instances where I had some alcohol and my birthday where I had half a slice of chocolate cake]

Since my main goal is fat loss, I don't include any starchy tubers post-WOD. And I know Robb Wolf recommends against eating immediately after a Wod if you're trying to get leaner but I can usually wait only about 20 minutes before I succumb to the hunger and ea. It's usually steak [usually a fatty cut] , avocado and leafy veggies.

I do get one [sometimes two] servings of fruit a day that I usually try to get it in before noon but evidently fructose only restores liver glycogen. So I'm not sure what purpose that might serve aside from getting a wider variety of nutrients.

So should I be concerned w/this whole muscle glycogen issue and add some yams postWOD? Or possibly raw carrots?

I do a strength bias program and my numbers have been going up except for the last few weeks but is probably due more to sh*tty sleep than anything.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Greg Privitera

Profile:
Re: replenishing muscle glycogen [or lack thereof] and muscle loss

Gain 25lbs of muscle and dont lose any of fat then you are 175lbs at around 11-12%.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Privitera View Post
Gain 25lbs of muscle and dont lose any of fat then you are 175lbs at around 11-12%.
Ah... the inevitable, "Why are you trying to 'lose weight' when you're under 180lbs" suggestions.

and I'm actually 160 now.. I need to update my signature.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Seriously-
Just follow the program. 7 weeks is not a lot of time. Also, unless you have injuries that prevent it, make sure you are doing heavy lifts at least a couple times per week. As you build muscle, you will ultimately lose some fat.

I'm smaller (and older) than you. When I started CF I went from ~195# down to 157 and now I hover between 165 and 170. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think I could be a little more lean - but I was no where near as strong at 157 as I am now... I was a marginally faster runner then, but I am post-knee surgery now I don't do much running anymore, anyway.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Seriously-
Just follow the program.
You mean continue as I've described above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Sometimes I look in the mirror and think I could be a little more lean - but I was no where near as strong at 157 as I am now... .
well yeah, I hear ya on that. I'd rather be at 10% bf and maintain my strength than be all super lean but have no energy and poor performance. I just want to be lean enough to where I can see my abs a bit and that I can't see anything hang over my belt line when I squat
Old 06-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Mike McGee

Profile:

Yahya, I read a really great article about PWO nutrition and it stated that if you are:

above 12% bf - 30g prot/10g carb
8-12% bf - 30g prot/25g carb
below 8% bf - 30g prot/40g carb

basically, your % of bodyfat will dicatate the amount of carbs needed PWO.

Here is the link: http://confessionsofacrossfitcoach.b...-recovery.html (WFS)

Even for those who are strict Paleo, I've read that getting some carbs PWO won't set you back as long as you are strict on the rest of your meals. BTW, He also references Robb Wolf in the article, as you have in your post.

Mike
Old 06-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
Greg Privitera

Profile:

I'm not trying to be dis-heartening or put you down in any way.

But what are your goals that you want to have 130-140lbs of LBM?

I just don't think that performance wise (or aesthetically) you will be where you want to be at your current LBM.

Anyway, for your goals.

I'd recommend fast carbs and protein pre-workout, no carbs and just fast protein right after training. I don't think its necessary to take carbs under 120-150g on training days, just try to eat mostly "slow" carbs other than preworkout.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
Andy Beaulieu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post

I do a strength bias program and my numbers have been going up except for the last few weeks but is probably due more to sh*tty sleep than anything.
This is the key. Get more sleep, stick with the program, and see how it goes. Sleep is just as important as your diet. If you don't get enough of it, you won't see gains.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
Joe Bernard

Profile:

+1 to what Andy said. I find that sleep is the biggest factor when it comes to performance, I ate pretty strict paleo at college this past semester, but due to sleep issues my workouts sucked.

How's your stress? Sleep deprivation increases cortisol. Add in other sources of stress like work, gf, etc, and that could be a reason why the fat is not budging.

On a side note: good job with the birthday food-wise, I know I will not be able to stop at half a slice of cake for mine in a month and a half (and I definitely will not regret it)
Old 06-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McGee View Post
Yahya, I read a really great article about PWO nutrition and it stated that if you are:

above 12% bf - 30g prot/10g carb
8-12% bf - 30g prot/25g carb
below 8% bf - 30g prot/40g carb

basically, your % of bodyfat will dicatate the amount of carbs needed PWO.

Here is the link: http://confessionsofacrossfitcoach.b...-recovery.html (WFS)
bookmarked! thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Privitera View Post
I'm not trying to be dis-heartening or put you down in any way.

But what are your goals that you want to have 130-140lbs of LBM?

I just don't think that performance wise (or aesthetically) you will be where you want to be at your current LBM.
Well you bring up a good point but leanness is also necessary for good metcon performance wouldn't you say? Wouldn't it be OK to get lean enough to around 9, 10% and then eat at slightly above maintenance? I'm sure the muscle gains would be slow but I'd definitely gain strength that way, wouldn't you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Beaulieu View Post
This is the key. Get more sleep, stick with the program, and see how it goes. Sleep is just as important as your diet. If you don't get enough of it, you won't see gains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
+1 to what Andy said. I find that sleep is the biggest factor when it comes to performance, I ate pretty strict paleo at college this past semester, but due to sleep issues my workouts sucked.

How's your stress? Sleep deprivation increases cortisol. Add in other sources of stress like work, gf, etc, and that could be a reason why the fat is not budging.
Sleep/rest is my biggest downfall right now. It's not that I don't make time to sleep.. Trust me, I'm IN bed 8 hours a night but I can never stay asleep for more than a few hours at a time. It's definitely physiological because I've always had sleep and fatigue issues for as long as I can remember but a big chunk of it is psychological. I've got some really pressing issues at hand and unless they magically go away, I won't be sleeping optimally...

But I know there are things I can do to at least improve it.. even just a little bit..