CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
Matt Thacker

Profile:
KB's in Target!

Though I would share.

Wife and I were in Target last night. I stopeed by the sporting section just to browse and they had Kettlebells! I couldn't believe my eyes! There seemed to be the Vinyl coated type and the heaviest was 20lbs. I did grip and swing the thing a few times and it seemed O.K. for swings.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Re: KB's in Target!

Matt that is so funny since I too noticed the KBs in Target klast night and spread the word today at CFNYC.
On an off note, I am traveling to Israel within the next 2 weeks and wanted to bring a KB along. Anyone have an idea if I will be stopped at customs--ie looks like a bomb?
Old 10-07-2007, 05:02 PM   #3
Dominic Adam

Profile:

Sarena, did bring a kettlelbell for my trip to Iceland... Got stop but only because i tried it as a carry on!!!!!! (i known, i know 1 pood=36 lbs and could be used as a weapon) So many funny story out of it. They just told me to put it in my check-in bag and that was it. Don't worry about the form they can make the difference...
Old 10-07-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
Joseph Davidoski

Profile:

I've been through Israeli customs before. They are gonna see it and have equipment to scan it that will blow your mind. No worries if you got nothing to hide.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Just because you have nothing to hide doesn't mean they won't arrest you. I would not advise taking any metal through customs, let alone a huge ball of metal.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
Alex Rosch

Profile:

I hope we see the same thing in a large chain store here in Canada. I reciently got a set of 5 bells from 8-32kgs...my 3 year old picks up and carries around the 8kg 'bell! She loves it...so I'd like to get her something that will be swingable and light...We'll see...i think a 2kg bell would work...perhaps one out of wood would satisfy her?
On customs...I really don't know...I'd like to think that all people are good, but I have my doubts sometimes. I'm sure it'd be fine...there is sofisticated equipment to detect threats. I say check it and be otherwise friendly with staff. I'm sure that they've seen more exotic *cough* things in the course of their duties.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
Ken Mindoro

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarena Kopciel View Post
Matt that is so funny since I too noticed the KBs in Target klast night and spread the word today at CFNYC.
On an off note, I am traveling to Israel within the next 2 weeks and wanted to bring a KB along. Anyone have an idea if I will be stopped at customs--ie looks like a bomb?
Why waste 20# of luggage space for dead weight? Just bring a small duffel bag, a bunch of ziploc bags and duct tape. Pick up the sand over there and you have yourself a sand bag, complete with handles. You can even vary the weight if you make a bunch of smaller 5-10# ziploc bags of sand. You can do swings, cleans, turkish get ups and if you have somewhere to hang from, weighted pullups.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:

Sarena,

I have flown with kettlebells from Singapore to Jakarta and not had any problems, providing they go in the hold.

When you check in/go through the intial security, leave the bag open as they will want to see it. It looks really 'suspicious' on the xray.

Tape a picture of you using the bell to the handle so they can see what its for. I have flown with dive scooters (that look a lot like torpedoes) out of Pakistan and Hanoi, and a picture says a thousand words.

Jerry
Old 10-08-2007, 08:25 AM   #9
Thomas Covington

Profile:

How much was the KB at Target?
Old 10-08-2007, 09:30 AM   #10
David Wallach

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic adam View Post
Sarena, did bring a kettlelbell for my trip to Iceland... Got stop but only because i tried it as a carry on!!!!!! (i known, i know 1 pood=36 lbs and could be used as a weapon) So many funny story out of it. They just told me to put it in my check-in bag and that was it. Don't worry about the form they can make the difference...
Hi Dominic,

I lived in Iceland for about 12 years! How was your trip and what prompted you to bring a KB with you on vacation? You can answer via PM if you want..

cheers

Chef