CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #1
Peter Keller

Profile:
Bumper plate odor

I know I don't post around here often anymore, but I still hold the CF Forum near and dear to my heart- I wouldn't have started FringeSport if not for this forum.

Anyway, I am super proud of our bumper plates- we've worked hard to produce crazy durable bumpers, and at a great price.

BUT

The one complaint we get from a small minority of customers is that the plates have a strong rubber odor. This is worst upon initial receipt of the bumpers and then fades away. And- it does not bother the vast majority of our customers. But it is the only major piece of negative feedback we have collected on the bumpers.

I know that all the bumpers coming out of our factory also have this odor issue- and we have tried a few different formulations and procedures to eliminate the odor. And yes, we use only virgin rubber. I just can't lick this issue.

Does anyone have any insight? I would happily send a free pair of the bumpers to someone if they had a professional (or even amateur) background that leads me to believe they could help us figure this one out.

Also, I am headed to Asia next week, and will be meeting with our bumper factory in late October, so I would love some feedback before then.

Much thanks!
Old 10-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:
Re: Bumper plate odor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Keller View Post
I know I don't post around here often anymore, but I still hold the CF Forum near and dear to my heart- I wouldn't have started FringeSport if not for this forum.

Anyway, I am super proud of our bumper plates- we've worked hard to produce crazy durable bumpers, and at a great price.

BUT

The one complaint we get from a small minority of customers is that the plates have a strong rubber odor. This is worst upon initial receipt of the bumpers and then fades away. And- it does not bother the vast majority of our customers. But it is the only major piece of negative feedback we have collected on the bumpers.

I know that all the bumpers coming out of our factory also have this odor issue- and we have tried a few different formulations and procedures to eliminate the odor. And yes, we use only virgin rubber. I just can't lick this issue.

Does anyone have any insight? I would happily send a free pair of the bumpers to someone if they had a professional (or even amateur) background that leads me to believe they could help us figure this one out.

Also, I am headed to Asia next week, and will be meeting with our bumper factory in late October, so I would love some feedback before then.

Much thanks!
Honestly outside of finding a washing process that is done after each one is created and done it just takes time and "moving" airflow for bumpers to lose that smell.

Perhaps a prochem odor neutralizer like

http://www.jondon.com/catalogsearch/.../?q=PC-FDLL-01 (Wfs)

Not sure how strong the citrus might be but could possibly work. Heck I would gladly test some out for you if you want could even run a test on one bumper vs one just aired out on my covered patio for a few days.

Having 3 different brands in my garage the only ones that didn't smell were the game bumpers and I would say they had their time to lose that smell.

So stacking a ton of finished plates on top of each other and next to each other in a closed environment doesn't help with the gas offing that is taking place. Perhaps a "room" that blows in fresh air and sucks out the old for a few days would help but honestly I think it would take 1-2 weeks of that to achieve any noticeable results.

Often this is why the flooring from places like tractor supply doesn't smell as bad. Usually outside or in a fresh air environment for a while so it wears off. It is only when a new supply comes that the stink is bad.

Love your products and wish you luck as you tackle such a difficult task.

Last edited by Shawn M Wilson; 10-08-2015 at 07:04 PM..
Old 10-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
Peter Keller

Profile:

Thanks for the reply, Shawn! PM sent.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:35 AM   #4
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Yeah if anything I would think you could just "air them out" sort of speak when you get them out of the container (assuming that is how they are shipped to you). Put a fan on them for a week to move some air across them just for those who can pick up on the smell.

Maybe a quick wash in the sun with a hose?

Just something to think about.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
Peter Keller

Profile:

Thanks Andrew! I think a lot of the issue is the fact that they are boxed when they come off the container.

Our American made Diamond Pro and Hi Temp plates are shipped to us unboxed and do not have an odor issue.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #6
Rob Poling Jr

Profile:

I think it's the chemicals used in making them that causes the smell, natural rubber smells too. I don't know how many you receive in a shipment but a wash with Pine-Sol or Murphys soap and then put out in the sun is suppose to help get rid of the smell. It seems a lot of Asian made rubber and plastics have the same issue.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:34 PM   #7
Bryan Selent

Profile:

I have your bumpers and didn't really notice it too bad. Perhaps some instructions shipped with a pair advising how to "wash" the bumpers or how to get rid of the smell?
Old 10-11-2015, 10:35 PM   #8
Alex Ryemus

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks Andrew! I think a lot of the issue is the fact that they are boxed when they come off the container.
Makes a lot of sense. I'm sure you already do a bunch of this, but unbox those things as soon as they are received and maybe give them all a rinse of a water/vinegar mix. Let them sit with some slight separation (as opposed to stacked) to ensure air reaches all sides. Even put some large fans to blow at them, circulating air. To ensure customers are receiving bumpers that have had the most amount of time to breath, maintain a FIFO inventory control system (e.g. tagging, dating, numbering, etc.).

Just a few operational thoughts that can be controlled outside the bumper manufacturing process.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:52 AM   #9
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:

BUT

Much thanks!
Just curious about a couple of things that do actually affect products.

What is the curing time for the rubber and are the plates given time to cure before packaging? are they packed directly from production into the container?

Are the plates packaged in plastic and then boxes or only boxes?

The packaging of the boxes if packed in boxes, do they have ventilation holes?

If the plates are only packed on top of each other in a container with nothing in between to separate them then they are not given time to breath and so on.

So maybe giving the product the chance to breath during shipment from China is enough to reduce the rubber smell of the product.

This sounds like a no brainer but something as simple as this can make a difference.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:58 AM   #10
Peter Keller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Ryemus View Post
Makes a lot of sense. I'm sure you already do a bunch of this, but unbox those things as soon as they are received and maybe give them all a rinse of a water/vinegar mix. Let them sit with some slight separation (as opposed to stacked) to ensure air reaches all sides. Even put some large fans to blow at them, circulating air. To ensure customers are receiving bumpers that have had the most amount of time to breath, maintain a FIFO inventory control system (e.g. tagging, dating, numbering, etc.).

Just a few operational thoughts that can be controlled outside the bumper manufacturing process.
Thanks for the assistance, all! I am meeting with our factory tomorrow to discuss in person.

Also, Martin, PM sent.

As I mentioned before, it is not bad, or really a big deal- but it is the last little problem we are working out with the bumpers.