CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-27-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
Jim Turnbo III

Profile:
First I would like to say CrossFit Michiana is finally here.

In the attempts to do anything possible to get in front of as many faces as possible; I decided to get a fundraiser together. The local Big Brother and Big Sisters organization has been dropped by United Way starting in 08. This year they'll get their usual contributions. Next year will be half and in 08 they will get nothing.

Since the death of a brother Officer in April, who've i'd worked with for the last 7 yrs. I decided to help an organization that had an impact on someone involved.

In overview.....

3 teenage thugs went to "rob people", quoted by the paper. One of the boys heard the other two talking about what they were wanting to do. When he saw the gun he demanded that the driver stop the car and be let out. The driver did and the third child walked away from the car.

It was later reported that while walking away, he looked back and saw the two get out of the car and eventually heard the gun shots. The officer was off duty and walking a lady friend to her home. Neither thug knew he was an Officer.

While the robbery was taking place, the boy that got out of the car went to a payphone and called him mentor from a local church. He asked what he should do and his mentor told him to call the Police. This specific church offered a program much like the BB & BS programs.

With this in mind I decided to come up with a way to get the fitness word out there as well as help a great organization. In doing so I was approved by the BB & BS Board of Directors to hold a fundraiser.

The problem; I may have bit off more than I can chew. I want to hold a strongman competition. I chose this for the broader picture. Make this an annual event and sometime down the road make it a qualifier for the next level. I've noticed strongman competitions being telivised more often, much like how the poker craze got started. I have nooooooo idea on how to set this up. Does ANYONE out here know how I can get in contact with someone who has promted, held or is holding a strongman? I have some ideas, but need to speak to someone who is and has been doing this. It will be held at the end of August.

Thanks,

Jim T.