CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-27-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
Matt Laney

Profile:  
Today I completed the Birmingham, AL Y-Tri triathlon. It was my first ever competition like this. Granted, it was a very short race. Only 200M swim, 9 mile bike, and 2 mile run. I completed it in 55 minutes and some odd seconds, which landed me 3rd place in my age group! Wooo! It was a lot of fun, and I plan on doing a couple more later in the year. The only training I did was CrossFit. I had only biked 10 miles once before, swam 200 m once in the past 3 months, and ran a couple of miles last week.

I also completed the thruster challenge (1/2 body weight, 21 consecutive reps.) Unfortunately I didn't get a video, so I'll have to do it again sometime and post it.

THANKS CROSSFIT!!!
WAR EAGLE CrossFit Auburn.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Hey Matt - what an amazing first race. That sprint length is very CrossFit friendly. In fact, I think you will find that races all the way up to Olympic distance (1.5k swim, 40k bike and 10k run) can be trained for with a lot of CF workouts. You will need some pool time though as the swim goes from 200 to 800 meters or more. Do you use clipless pedals on the bike or just toe cages? As your cycling gets better a tri specific bike will make all the difference. Your minimal tri training and maximal race performance are testimony not only to CF training but to your athletic talent as well. I hope you race again and do as well.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
Matt Laney

Profile:  
Thanks for the comments! I definitely had an awesome time. Actually, the bike I was using is a mountain bike turned CrossFit turned transition road bike. I'll take a picture of it when I get a chance, it'll make more sense. Since this was my first tri, I didn't want to spend too much $$ on equipment.

I got the split times back yesterday and I was surprised by my run time. For 2 miles, I was running about a 7:30 mile, which is decent after swimming and a bike ride. I can't wait till the next race!