CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-31-2006, 06:17 AM   #1
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
Well the Sydney city to surf 14km fun run is coming up, and I thought there would be no better place to ask for preparation than you guys.

It is in 10 weeks. It is 14km, with a few light hills. I have been doing about 150 pushups and sit ups a few times a week but nothing serious. I am 84kg, 5'11 with 9% body fat.

Any suggestions for how to prepare?
Old 05-31-2006, 07:39 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
WOD, sprints, and a few longer runs should do you fine. But I've never ran that far, so take my advice with a grain of salt! :-)
Old 05-31-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Turn up to the Saturday sessions at Queens Park!:lol:

We'll make sure you have the anaerobic tolerance and then all you'll have to do is add some distance work.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:21 AM   #4
Kevin Thomas Platt

Profile:  
Mitchell - I just finished the Cabot Trail Relay in Canada and had a 16.9 km leg (longest I have run is 21km). I had a pretty respectable time and felt pretty good after. I don't know how much running you have done in the past but I would suggest you want to gradually increase your distance to get up to around 10km on a long run (if you have not run longer than 14 km before - you will probably want to do a 15km run 2-3 weeks prior to the event). I would do some interval trg around a track - intervals of about 400 metres are good and are supposed to build up lactic acid in the muscles similar to on longer races, so that your body can get used to using the lactic acid. CrossFit workouts definitely help both pysically and mentally especially when you start to get tired during the race itself. Make sure you spend some money on a good pair of shoes. Begin to taper about 1-2 weeks from the race (in terms of distance) but continue to do the interval trg. I tried to do a lot of squats to help build up for the hills and I think it helped (but the Cabot Trail may be a bit more hilly then the few hills you are talking about). Don't go to crazy with the running unless you are trying to win the event, in order to save the wear and tear on the knees. I ran 3 x week, (Interval trg, Hilly 5km run and Hilly 10km run) with some CrossFit workouts 2-3 times a week.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:35 AM   #5
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
First time I heard about tabata protocols and their effect on endurance, I was VERY skeptical. But as a true skeptic, I had to be certain, so I tested the thesis by making one cycle of tabata running per day (all in all 4 minutes) 5 days per week for 3 weeks. After two days off, I was ready to test:

I ran 15 k with ease!!!

I've previously been running a lot. Usually around 5-10 k and with 17 k as the longest, but that dates 7 years back, so I didn't have any foundation to fall back on, besides what I have from biking and strength training.

I'd stick with tabata running ...