CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
Chris Jones

Profile:
Squat rack/Pull Up Bar

Ok guys, need some help/opinions here. My pullups need work(especially butterflys), and id like to be able to do them much more frequently than having to drive to the box every time i get a chance to practice. Ive got a bar and bumpers already, so i figured why not go squat rack/pull up combo? The one ive been looking at is the Pendlay Elite stand/pull up bar at MuscleDriver. It seems most people on here prefer Rogue, so i was looking at their ES-1 or possibly S-1 stands, but didnt see an option for a pull up bar. So does that mean that to have a bar from them you have to get a rig/cage? This is going in my garage and i wont be bolting it to the wall or floor. in advance
Old 12-22-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
Adam Molnar

Profile:
Re: Squat rack/Pull Up Bar

Rogue S-2 & S-3 has pull up bar! Muscledriver's squat/pull up stand looks small and unstable to me.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Chris Jones

Profile:

Thanks Adam, I was also a little concerned with it being a one piece unit instead of bolted. Anybody else have any experience? The shipping makes a huge difference in price for me as well, I can pick up the MuscleDriver product within an hour drive.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Lindsay Giguere

Profile:

I have the Rogue S-2 Squat rack with the fat/skinny bar.

No need to bolt it down - you can purchase side plate storage for it instead.

It's perfect for all pullups!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:

The Get Rx'd "Guillotine" looks pretty interesting and is priced right. I just havent seen many reviews on it.

I'll probably end up with Rogue though as it has the flexibility to expand and has tons of accessories
Old 12-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
Ok guys, need some help/opinions here. My pullups need work(especially butterflys), and id like to be able to do them much more frequently than having to drive to the box every time i get a chance to practice. Ive got a bar and bumpers already, so i figured why not go squat rack/pull up combo? The one ive been looking at is the Pendlay Elite stand/pull up bar at MuscleDriver. It seems most people on here prefer Rogue, so i was looking at their ES-1 or possibly S-1 stands, but didnt see an option for a pull up bar. So does that mean that to have a bar from them you have to get a rig/cage? This is going in my garage and i wont be bolting it to the wall or floor. in advance
I use the Rogue S-2. Extremely solid. I weigh the squat rack down with things like cement slabs, sandbags, or bumper plates when doing butterfly or t2b and it's stable.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Chris Jones

Profile:

Thanks for the replys guys, I knew I'd have a hard time talking myself out of Rogue and you guys didn't help It'll just have to wait a little longer I guess so I can cover shipping and the plate storage pins, but at least it'll be a rock solid unit for years.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
Alejandra Robles

Profile:

Hey Chris,
Check out the Deluxe Packages from Imaspammer.com better built and value than Rogue.
Best to you
Old 12-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
The pendlay elite squat stand with pull up bar is solid... but you'll need weight horns for sure.... as stated by almost every review you see about it from crossfitters who do kipping/butterfly.
http://www.repfitness.com/weightlift...th-pull-up-bar WFS

I'd also look at the A-1 fold-able squat rack. If you don't have a huge garage, this is is your best option. Doesn't have to be bolted, and you don't need any weight horns/legs etc. and priced $75 less than the S-2/3. video on the page...
http://www.repfitness.com/weightlift...th-pull-up-bar WFS

The s-3 is definitely worth looking at if you are into benching more than the average person. I personally don't bench a ton, and I've never had a problem with 2" spacing in my life... or even more spacing, but if you love to bench.. definitely look at it.
http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-s-3-squat-stand.php WFS

All of these don't have to be bolted, but it seems like the rogue and pendlay options both need weights attached (see: cost more). So you need extra weights and the horns. So the A-1 saves you $100+ easily after the extra costs. All are made in the USA, and high quality. The only advantage I see with Rogues is the 1" spacing. Don't see much of an advantage with the Pendlay. The choice is yours mate!
Good luck with you training!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
Kyle Wickman

Profile:

I really want the S3. We have the S2's at my gym. I figured the S3 would be better since it's taller.

I am slowly building up equipment at my fire station. I have been having a hard time getting other guys into working out. So by my charity I have been adding stuff. I just ordered a games box and a med ball. We have a new treadmill, but thats about it. I moved a kettle bell, a jump rope and some dumb bells there. With just that I am running out of stuff to do. I guess next I should get a bar and some bumpers. Just don't know if I should get the S3 1st, or the bar with bumpers.