CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
Don King

Profile:
I didn't know where to post this so I just picked this board.

I had my first run-in with the staff at my fitness club. I had just finished 30 20" box jumps when this guy comes up to me and says "I could hear you drop that 65# dumbbell on the floor from across the room. We have a policy of not dropping weights". Prior to the box jumps, I had done 18 65# dumbbell swings and when I was done dropped it on the ground. In the middle of a WOD and having just performed 30 20" box jumps, I was in no mood to take any off of a $8/hr fitness center employee. I responded by saying, "just wait until I take your oly bar over there and start doing 225# deadlifts". I received a blank stare from this dweeb and he walked off. I made it a point to make as much noise as possible for the rest of my workout. Who ever said Crossfit can't be fun?
Old 10-27-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
this is why some people think crossfitters are . lest you think i'm being all high and mighty, I've done stuff like that too. i wish people wouldn't encourage this kind of behavior.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:59 PM   #3
Chris Fitzgerald

Profile:
Dude, I know exactly what you are saying, I would get the stares and occasionally a "talking to" by an employee. The best thing in the world for me is my garage gym I put together. I had to sell my beloved Mesa Boogie dual rectifier amp, but now I have some quality stuff to kill it at home. Thanks to everyone in the crossfit community to opening my eyes to this type of training. Now, I can get some at home, blast some Slayer and nobody says SH*T. Get ya some stuff for home brutha.:evilsmile:
Old 10-27-2006, 08:48 PM   #4
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I want to go work out at Chris' place.

\m/ Slayer \m/
Old 10-27-2006, 10:38 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I was denied by the house on turning the garage into a gym. Denied from hanging rings or rope from the support beams of the living room as well. Managed to convince them to throw the workout equipment in that room as well as hobby tables since there wasn't enough furniture to fill the room.

On an opposite note when I went to workout on wednesday, I was first given a leery eye by the owner of the small gym. He was asking if I was interested in a membership to which some other people chimed in that I should. I politely said, I just wanted to come in mainly to use equipment I didn't have access to maybe once a week or so. At that point I hadn't said gymnastics or crossfit at all.
Later in the workout after I was done with skills and on to the metcon, he came by and asked, " So, somethin somethin about Crossfit. " I was panting and heaving and barely able to say anything between the rest/rotation periods, but remarked a bit about Roger and the gymnastics seminars as my connection besides the board.
I do believe it's the first time a coach in a gym has ever commended my efforts.
I also like just getting away from it all to workout. Gymnastics or training is that way for me to just leave it at the door.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:32 AM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Community
Old 10-28-2006, 05:01 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
The best thing any of us could do is start a garage/basement gym. Invest slowly, in quality equipment, and build a lot of equipment, and in a few years you will have a world class gym
Old 10-28-2006, 05:25 AM   #8
Kurt Holm

Profile:
The thing I miss the most when I travel (other than my family) is my basement gym. Sure, the ceiling is too low and it gets a little close but it's heaven compared to a big box gym.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:54 AM   #9
Dolph Geurds

Profile:
I am trying the slow takeover approach. I am currently running Fight Gone Bad type workouts on Saturday mornings with a couple of guys/women and a trainer that works at the gym. Proof is in the pudding. People stop, stare and watch, but the results are what I am am interested in, as Coach states, chase excellance and clients will chase you. The head trainer at my Big Box gym has seen the results and now wants me to run CF circuits. It just takes time and results.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:12 AM   #10
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
225lb deadlifts? Is that a lot?