CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
Ron Fielder

Profile:
I go to see a chiropractor once a month just to get things realigned. It really makes me feel so much better. I usually do not feel to bad going in but today I was feeling really tight in my back and my right hip has been bothering me a bit for a couple of weeks.
I have noticed that when I go into the bottom of my squats I have weakness in my gluteaus medias area on the push out of the bottom and I am tending to lean a bit to compensate.
So I wanted to ask him about it and what I might do to get the strength back through the ROM. He asked me about my squats. I told him I do deep squats.
He said "Past parallel?"
I said, "yeah."
He told me that it was wrong, that I should never go past parallel.That I lose the quadriceps below parallel.
So I mentioned the glutes and hams.
His response was that I wouldn't be using them anyway so I shouldn't go below parallel.
I was just kinda smiling at him and I asked him about olympic lifters and toddlers using the deep squat.
He said toddlers do not have spines so they are in no danger and that olympic lifters are so strong that they can do what they want and its ok.
I was speechless at this point because I am wondering how they got so strong to begin with?

Well, I guess I will be more careful in what I share because I do not like getting a lecture about squats from someone who doesn't do them, I was just looking for some stretches to relieve the trigger point in my hip.

I do not think that squatting caused this, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Time for a new chiropractor!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
My chiro had a similar response. Same with deads and KB swings. I eventually asked him if it would be better if I just sit on the couch all day. We now have an understanding.

I'm not sure why all medical people think they are experts on the all things related to the body...but it is annoying.

As for the injury, can you tell me about it? I have something that may be similar (I've heard some say SI joint and others say disk issue...no one knows for sure it seems)...but I haven't thought about a gluteaus medias problem.

Thanks...

howard
Old 05-21-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Ron Fielder

Profile:
The location is in the soft tissue about 3 inches below my illiac crest and about 1 inch posterior to the femur. I think that is the area of the medius.
I believe that doing some PNF stretching will fix it right up but it is hard to do that with the glute med. without some assistance.
I may be mistaken so any corrections are appreciated.
I was hoping that the Dr. would assist me but o'well.
Whatever it is I do not feel that it is in the socket of the hip or in any of my spinal disks.

As far as the DL, I didn't even touch that one but got the lastest on how the local high school coaches have caused tons of back injuries because of squats and DL.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Connie Morreale

Profile:
toddlers dont have spines???? wow. who'd have thought it?
Old 05-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
As far as the DL, I didn't even touch that one but got the lastest on how the local high school coaches have caused tons of back injuries because of squats and DL.

This just me off to no end! :angry: It's because they don't teach it properly but even if they do "teach" correct form students are left on their own to perform it properly without supervision! This is only a guess, but I'm willing to bet high schools with qualified olympic weightlifting coaches have little to no injuries caused by deads and squats!

I think I should have CAPPED LOCKED this whole post! :furious0:
Old 05-21-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
Paul Symes

Profile:
Ron

Does your chiropractor do the adjustment where you lie on your side with your hips shoulders twisting in diffent directions and then they push down on your hip and make it crack?
Old 05-21-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
Ron Fielder

Profile:
Paul-
Yes, he does. But for some reason I do not have any movement in my hips when he tries it.
I mainly have trouble with rib heads in my upper back and some issues with my neck, I believe this is because of my poor posture.
May i ask why you asked that? Is it something to be aware of?
Veronica, I agree with you and i wanted to say that so bad, there were lots of things that I wanted to say, Maybe I should have but I did not see it going anywhere and I wasn't on a crusade when i went there.
As far as my "hip". Today's WOD required 200 squats. I did a few during my warmup and was worried on how I would perform doing 50 at a time. Well, i went for it and i definately had some discomfort.
I realize that I didn't really describe the sensation I was having.
It is a very tender spot in the area that I described above. About the size of a half dollar. But when i go into a squat the sensation or weakness radites around to the front of my quad and down to the knee.
I have ROM in all planes without any pain except when I bend my knee and then rotate it to my side or when i am at the bottom of a squat.
I am sure that I will be fine but I hate when i am trying to crank out high speed reps and this is holding me back.
Growing pains.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #9
Keith Stevens

Profile:
Ron
You maybe having piriformis issues(or in combination with the gluts).
The piriformis crosses from the SI joint to outter portion of the femur. When its tight it will lock up the entire hip joint and can manifest in sciatic type symptoms.
One way to stretch the piriformis is;
Lie on the floor, knees bent, feet flat on floor
Place outside of right ankle on left knee
Pull left thigh to your body.
Hold five to eight seconds, relax, repeat

You should feel this across your gluteal region.
If this is unclear let me know and I'll explain it better.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:09 PM   #10
Ron Fielder

Profile:
Thanks Keith I will definately give that a try.