CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #1
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:
I'm pretty new to Crossfit and I was wondering whether lifting-specific shoes were necessary for my level? I know all the benefits of them, and I know that a lot of people just use a flat-soled shoe like a Converse, but I'm not sure whether in my infantile stage I would necessarily need them. I've begun to learn the O-Lifts through the videos, videoing myself, and a session or two with a trainer at the gym I go to, but I still have a long way to go in getting the technique down solidly. Currently I use a pair of Asics which have been fine for lifting, running, and any Crossfit workouts, but they are more of a running shoe and don't have a truly flat sole.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
Karin Jonczak

Profile:
Its not the flat sole that's really the issue. The problem is that most running shoes are just too soft and can't provide the heel stablity that lifting shoes can. Additionally, lifting shoes actually are more like lifts, actually raising the heel slightly making it easier to hit and hold lifts.

That all being said I use running shoes in workouts like Fran or today's Fran-kenstein... though I should probably use my lifting shoes. However, I am lifting with 20lbs and not a ton of weight. Additionally, in WOD's where you actually have to run 400m or more, I am not doing that in my lifting shoes (which are stupid expensive!)

-k
Old 06-27-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
Paul Findley

Profile:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/W...tingShoes.html

Safe
Old 06-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
Luke Hope

Profile:
While lifting shoes would of course be superior, is lifting barefoot an option for you? It's my personal preference, but then I have the happy luxury of a garage gym.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

Use Chuck Taylors All Stars, they are what a lot of strongmen use, they are paper thin and flat, they have ankle suport (a little) and work perfectly.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:51 PM   #6
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:
Yes, Luke, barefooted lifting (at least for the summer before I go back to strict college gym rules) is an option, and I've done it a few times for MetCom workouts, though never for anything heavy. I'll definitely have to look into shoes, though Chuck's seem to be a cheap, easily obtainable alternative!
Old 06-28-2007, 11:11 PM   #7
Kellee Rassau

Profile:
Another use for Chucks. What can't these shoes do? I've been wearing them for 20 years. It never occurred to me to lift weights wearing them, though.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:05 AM   #8
Paul Mirek

Profile:
Another thought is, if you are a runner, you are bound to have old running shoes that are worn down and have lost their spongyness. You can always try these out and see if they provide a more sturdy surface for you. Of course, they aren't as flat as Chucks, but they will do in a pinch...if you can't plunk down the $20 bucks. Barefoot training is not an option where I work out, so it's oldies for me.

http://mrmirek.blogspot.com
Old 07-06-2007, 03:28 PM   #9
Nathan Chaszeyka

Profile:
I wear wrestling shoes. They have always worked perfectly for me and the owner of our facility (who's an ex champ strongman and oly lifter) feels the same way.

Just another thought.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #10
Chris Lampe

Profile:
I wouldn't do heavy squats and deadlifts without lifting shoes. The elevated heels make up for horrible ankle flexibility and make squatting deep enough much easier and much more comfortable.

Doing WOD's that include a lot of running around would be another story...but those workouts aren't usually heavy weight anyway.