CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
Yuri Feito

Profile:
Research Study: CrossFit related Injuries

Hello,

My name is Dr. Yuri Feito, I am a professor of Exercise Science at Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, GA (USA). We are conducting a study to accurately assess the risk of injury related to CrossFit - you may have seen some of our research highlighted in several recent publications in Outside and TIME magazine.

Participation in this study is completely voluntary and anonymous. If you would like to participate, please follow this link (http://*******/KSU_CF2014)YOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE and answer the question accordingly. IF you have completed this survey within the last month, please DO NOT fill it out again.

Thank you for your help!

Hello,

My name is Dr. Yuri Feito, I am a professor of Exercise Science at Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, GA (USA). We are conducting a study to accurately assess the risk of CrossFit related injuries - you may have seen some of our research highlighted in several recent publications in Outside and TIME magazine.

Participation in this study is completely voluntary and anonymous. If you would like to participate, please follow this link (http://*******/KSU_CF2014)YOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE and answer the question accordingly. IF you have completed this survey within the last month, please DO NOT fill it out again.

Thank you for your help!

Hello,

My name is Dr. Yuri Feito, I am a professor of Exercise Science at Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, GA (USA). We are conducting a study to accurately assess the risk of CrossFit related injuries - you may have seen some of our research highlighted in several recent publications in Outside and TIME magazine.

Thank you for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
FYI, I don't think the message board likes your link.

Humm...Thank you! Let's try this...

http://ow.ly/t89bnYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 01-31-2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: cross-posted
Old 01-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Research Study: CrossFit related Injuries

FYI, I don't think the message board likes your link.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:32 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Can you explain how a voluntary participation study can be of any statistical value?

Once you post it on this board you have added a filter to your selection process that could hurt your data. People with injuries, working without a coach and high level competitors are all more likely to be on these boards then the average CrossFitter who makes up the largest group in CrossFit. The group on these boards is at higher injury risk.

Lots of people trying to make a name for themselves either in CrossFit or attacking CrossFit.

Can you defend the quality of your scientific process? How is your study designed? Why is it valid?

As an affiliate owner I'm very interested in injury rates and even more importantly what are the most common injuries and can we change things to reduce the risk. I don't ever expect the risk to go to zero but if we as a community can identify best practices to reduce the risk that would be good.

I just like to see well designed studies with large enough sample sizes selected properly.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
Kenny Markwardt

Profile:

^^^^ Agreed. If 9 out of 10 people have a great experience, but 1 person has a bad experience, generally the one that makes the most noise is the one that has the bad experience. I don't think that's very reliable.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
Greg Spaight

Profile:

I scraped my left shin doing dead lifts on Wednesday.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
Yuri Feito

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Can you explain how a voluntary participation study can be of any statistical value?

Once you post it on this board you have added a filter to your selection process that could hurt your data. People with injuries, working without a coach and high level competitors are all more likely to be on these boards then the average CrossFitter who makes up the largest group in CrossFit. The group on these boards is at higher injury risk.

Lots of people trying to make a name for themselves either in CrossFit or attacking CrossFit.

Can you defend the quality of your scientific process? How is your study designed? Why is it valid?

As an affiliate owner I'm very interested in injury rates and even more importantly what are the most common injuries and can we change things to reduce the risk. I don't ever expect the risk to go to zero but if we as a community can identify best practices to reduce the risk that would be good.

I just like to see well designed studies with large enough sample sizes selected properly.
Brendan, please see my response on the Fitness post (sorry, I'm just learning to navigate this discussion board).
Old 02-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
Yuri Feito

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Spaight View Post
I scraped my left shin doing dead lifts on Wednesday.

Although not a "major injury" it is still helpful, because it provides a qualitative way for use to say "most injuries that were reported" were minor injuries.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
Yuri Feito

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Markwardt View Post
^^^^ Agreed. If 9 out of 10 people have a great experience, but 1 person has a bad experience, generally the one that makes the most noise is the one that has the bad experience. I don't think that's very reliable.

We are not simply looking at the proportion of people who report an injury. We look at the total number of people who are exposed (CrossFit), how long they are exposed for (workouts) and how many people actually report an injury. It's a little more complicated than 9/10!